5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight Adjustment

Doucampb

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if it’s counterclockwise to lower the beam and clockwise to raise it? I don’t want to just start turning away and realize it’s wrong.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if it’s counterclockwise to lower the beam and clockwise to raise it? I don’t want to just start turning away and realize it’s wrong.
Same as others said...aim at a wall and watch as you turn. Count your turns if you are afraid of losing the setting. It's not rocket science. Just do it.

Gozar

Reaction score
I forgot to mark where my headlights were aimed before the 2.5" level kit, anyone have a ballpark idea of how many turns or a target height when parked say 10ft or 5 ft form the garage door?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My preferred method is the level dark road adjustment. Find a level dark road and adjust the high beams too low then raise them to project as far as possible. Stop when brightness on the ground at a distance is maxed out. Too high and it'll get dimmer. Adjust both sides for a good ground pattern. Check low beams by walking 100ft ahead and see if they are in your eyes. Old school country boy method. I live on a level straight dark road and my driveway is 800 ft. Be safe if you do this.

karlh

Reaction score
Thanks for these posts. I looked at my new RAM 1500 and didn't think it was too straight forward. I did want to add something, particularly for the person who put a 2.5 inch lift kit on his. I know the books all say to aim it at a wall. That is a good starting point. For those of us with access to dark roads finalizing out there is best.

You should always be able to see at least 6 seconds ahead of where you are, regardless of conditions. Raising hi beams to give 6 seconds of lead at 80 mph is really pushing it for many rides with only 2 light fixtures. At worst if you set those high beams well then the low beams will blind oncoming drivers.

You just have to find a balance to where you can see far enough ahead of you to be safe and not be a nuisance to other drivers. In my recent '17 Ford Explorer and my sporty Jag putting the lights up enough to give me 6 seconds at 80mph didn't cause any issues. My truck at work is on a F-450 chassis so the light fixtures are higher off of the ground than passenger cars. On that, even setting the high beams for 6 seconds at 70 mph causes oncoming cars to flash their hi beams at us when we already have our low beams on. Like I said, have to find that balance. Especially true for lifted rides. 65 mph is fast enough for F-450's at night, even ambulances.

I am headed out now to check my new twuk's night lighting out. Appreciate the guidance!!

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for these posts. I looked at my new RAM 1500 and didn't think it was too straight forward. I did want to add something, particularly for the person who put a 2.5 inch lift kit on his. I know the books all say to aim it at a wall. That is a good starting point. For those of us with access to dark roads finalizing out there is best.

You should always be able to see at least 6 seconds ahead of where you are, regardless of conditions. Raising hi beams to give 6 seconds of lead at 80 mph is really pushing it for many rides with only 2 light fixtures. At worst if you set those high beams well then the low beams will blind oncoming drivers.

You just have to find a balance to where you can see far enough ahead of you to be safe and not be a nuisance to other drivers. In my recent '17 Ford Explorer and my sporty Jag putting the lights up enough to give me 6 seconds at 80mph didn't cause any issues. My truck at work is on a F-450 chassis so the light fixtures are higher off of the ground than passenger cars. On that, even setting the high beams for 6 seconds at 70 mph causes oncoming cars to flash their hi beams at us when we already have our low beams on. Like I said, have to find that balance. Especially true for lifted rides. 65 mph is fast enough for F-450's at night, even ambulances.

I am headed out now to check my new twuk's night lighting out. Appreciate the guidance!!
My observations with Ford is their led headlights are the worst for stray light at oncoming traffic. As well the Ford Explorer I drive for work has led and it totally sucks in brightness compared to the Rams. Frick I hate Ford

karlh

Reaction score
Took the truck out of the city. 85 mph and still could see 6 seconds ahead of me. WOW. I've never seen that out of factory adjusted lights. The low beams are a little bit low but just barely enough for me to notice. Overall I am tickled pink that i don't have to mess with adjusting the beams.

Ram Fleet

Reaction score
I have the same allen head looking adjustment. I turn and turn and turn both directions with no change.

clazer

Reaction score
I have the same allen head looking adjustment. I turn and turn and turn both directions with no change.
Have you tried covering one light and using a mark on the opposing wall? Otherwise it’s tough to see sometimes.

Jeepdork

Reaction score
My truck 2021 Bighorn 1500 2wd. Just my 2 cents on this. Installed 2.5 moto fab leveling kit. Headlight obviously now aimed too high. My experience with adjustment.

7/32 allen head socket with long extention.
Turn counter clockwise to lower.. a lot.

It appears a Phillips head screwdriver will also work but clearance for me was tight so I used an allen head socket.

D_Chiz

Reaction score
My truck 2021 Bighorn 1500 2wd. Just my 2 cents on this. Installed 2.5 moto fab leveling kit. Headlight obviously now aimed too high. My experience with adjustment.

7/32 allen head socket with long extention.
Turn counter clockwise to lower.. a lot.

It appears a Phillips head screwdriver will also work but clearance for me was tight so I used an allen head socket.
How much is a lot? I turned 8x and nothing... Like 20 rotations?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much is a lot? I turned 8x and nothing... Like 20 rotations?
I had a similar problem...turned about 6x due to my new LED bulbs in my halogen Reflectors...no change. Am I turning the incorrect screw?
I had a similar problem...turned about 6x due to my new LED bulbs in my halogen Reflectors...no change. Am I turning the incorrect screw? The one I'm turning is flat facing up and it's moving the gear looking part under it...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar problem...turned about 6x due to my new LED bulbs in my halogen Reflectors...no change. Am I turning the incorrect screw?
I had a similar problem...turned about 6x due to my new LED bulbs in my halogen Reflectors...no change. Am I turning the incorrect screw? The one I'm turning is flat facing up and it's moving the gear looking part under it...
I know it’s “done all the time”, but one reason LED retrofits into halogen reflectors are illegal is because the bulb dimensions and directional light output of the LEDs are so different from the OE bulbs (for which the housings were specifically designed) as to make them incompatible (i.e. horrible glare) and often impossible to “aim”.

That said, I know it’s expensive to do a proper headlight conversion, and I’m hoping someone with halogen headlights here can chime in regarding successful adjustments.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know it’s “done all the time”, but one reason LED retrofits into halogen reflectors are illegal is because the bulb dimensions and directional light output of the LEDs are so different from the OE bulbs (for which the housings were specifically designed) as to make them incompatible (i.e. horrible glare) and often impossible to “aim”.

That said, I know it’s expensive to do a proper headlight conversion, and I’m hoping someone with halogen headlights here can chime in regarding successful adjustments.
That's a good point, however this is the first time I've ever had an issue with LEDs in a reflector housing. I wonder if it's because I got a different brand than what I usually buy...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good point, however this is the first time I've ever had an issue with LEDs in a reflector housing. I wonder if it's because I got a different brand than what I usually buy...
Could be...especially if they’re not specifically designed for the 5th gen Ram housing.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could be...especially if they’re not specifically designed for the 5th gen Ram housing.
Just an update...I didn't drive after making the headlight adjustments. Just took my Ram for a spin with my new Auxito $36 led headlights (lol). Everything is perfect...more light output without blinding anyone..good beam pattern. I can't believe ppl spend $100-$200 on LED headlights lmao!

trithumb

Reaction score
I did mine I used my garage door. I pulled up and marked a spot for the wheels and then put masking taoe where they shined before the level. Then after adjusted to the same marks after.
When you get a chance, could you measure yours since you adjusted them? I didnt think about it before putting my level on and i was burning everyones retina last night on my ride home. If you could measure the distance you are from the wall and how high up it is. I hate being that guy lol.

Users who are viewing this thread