5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hauling 16’ lumber boards in RAM 1500 with MF

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn with RAMBOX and MFT.

When hauling 16 foot lumber, does anyone haul the boards with the MFT down?

Or, since the truck has a MFT, is it safer to haul the lumber with the MFT up and fully closed?

Of course, the lumber will be strapped down to prevent movement regardless.
Please advise and thanks, in advance.
RBJ

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The MFT is rated to hold up to 2000 lbs. You don't need to worry about it if weight is your concern. As for hauling 16 foot lumber, I wouldn't haul anything that long in a 5 and a half foot bed. Get a trailer or a lumber rack as Richard suggested.

RBJ

Reaction score
Thanks for your input.
I’m considering a bed extender mounted to the hitch.
However, my real concern and interest in learning from others is whether a multifunction tailgate (MFT) is SAFE to haul materials with the MFT down (both barn doors down as a regular tailgate) or is it unsafe since it is MFT?
If, for example, it’s considered unsafe and ill-advised, that would suggest a roof rack plus an adjustable extender (horizontal and vertical) to load overhead or haul with the MFT tailgate up and locked with boards extended up and outward.
Again, looking for advice...thanks
RBJ

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The MFT in the down position like a traditional tailgate will be fine. When using the hitch extender the weight will be on it and just resting in the MFT.

Not sure how well 16 foot boards are gonna ride with a 5 foot or 6 foot bed though. My 8 foot bed would be about 10 feet with the tailgate down anf still 6 feet hanging out. Do they even make an extender to be long enough for a 5 foot bed and 16 ft lumber?

A ladder rack would probably be the smarter route if you are doing this often

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.
I’m considering a bed extender mounted to the hitch.
However, my real concern and interest in learning from others is whether a multifunction tailgate (MFT) is SAFE to haul materials with the MFT down (both barn doors down as a regular tailgate) or is it unsafe since it is MFT?
If, for example, it’s considered unsafe and ill-advised, that would suggest a roof rack plus an adjustable extender (horizontal and vertical) to load overhead or haul with the MFT tailgate up and locked with boards extended up and outward.
Again, looking for advice...thanks
RBJ
The MFT should be of no concern. I would not be surprised if it’s actually stronger in the folded down position than the regular. Each half of the MFT is supported at four points plus the cables...

As for 15ft cargo dangling out of the bed, that’s what I’d call il-advised...😂

Users who are viewing this thread