5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone successfully used JScan to add Auto High Beams?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, the auto high beams was short lived. It does not seem to be working now...or at least the message showing they are active it not showing up on the center instrument cluster display. Any thoughts on that @Jimmy07 ?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the auto high beams was short lived. It does not seem to be working now...or at least the message showing they are active it not showing up on the center instrument cluster display. Any thoughts on that @Jimmy07 ?
The auto high beam is selected in the radio settings, and the turn signal stalk is pushed forward?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The auto high beam is selected in the radio settings, and the turn signal stalk is pushed forward?
Yessir. The radio button is still there and showing active. Yesterday when I pushed it forward I got the "auto high beams active" now it is just switching the high beam on when I press it forward.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oddly enough I went back out in the evening it is showed to be working. It was dark enough that he auto headlights came on but no so dark the auto high beams activated. Weird.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Oddly enough I went back out in the evening it is showed to be working. It was dark enough that he auto headlights came on but no so dark the auto high beams activated. Weird.
I mention this but it is likely you know, the vehicle has to be moving, I think around 15 MPH or faster before the auto-high beams will come on.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Around Houghton and Higgins lakes. Pure darkness without lights, so porch lights trigger it too.
That is a bit far but I do live in similar conditions, total darkness but the homes are far back from the road so they don't have an influence. Street lighting at cross streets does not cause a false positive nor does driving towards a traffic signal. The only reflection I can get is from road signs and low-hanging tree branches. But the 2022 doesn't have the false positive as my 2013 did.

The only thing I can think of, and this comes from a recent windshield replacement (on my wife's car) is the calibration of the windshield sensors/camera. I would imagine going to the dealer seeking a recalibration would be met with typical BS but it may be worth a try.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That is a bit far but I do live in similar conditions, total darkness but the homes are far back from the road so they don't have an influence. Street lighting at cross streets does not cause a false positive nor does driving towards a traffic signal. The only reflection I can get is from road signs and low-hanging tree branches. But the 2022 doesn't have the false positive as my 2013 did.

The only thing I can think of, and this comes from a recent windshield replacement (on my wife's car) is the calibration of the windshield sensors/camera. I would imagine going to the dealer seeking a recalibration would be met with typical BS but it may be worth a try.
I never thought about that, but it's weird that all 3 vehicles that i've had with that option were like that.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mention this but it is likely you know, the vehicle has to be moving, I think around 15 MPH or faster before the auto-high beams will come on.
I did not know that, thank you. Thank you. Does that mean that if stopped and you hit the high beams they will switch regardless the time of day?

6of36

Reaction score
I did not know that, thank you. Thank you. Does that mean that if stopped and you hit the high beams they will switch regardless the time of day?
Headlights don't even have to be on to flash high beams, with or without the auto feature. when you pull the stick, the highs come on.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I don't know why my 2022 owner's manual doesn't mention the traveling speed requirement for auto-high beams to turn on, in my 2015 OM, they mention the travel speed of 20 MPH or greater, and in the 2013 OM, they mention a speed of 25MPH or greater.

I don't understand your question. If you have auto-high beams enabled through the Uconnect system then pushing the high beam stalk forward will not turn on the high beams unless your vehicle is traveling 15 MPH or faster (as observed on my 2022). I assume the high beam function is dependent on the headlamps, if they are on then the high beams should turn on.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I never thought about that, but it's weird that all 3 vehicles that i've had with that option were like that.
I found these three items of possible causes in my 2022 owners manual under the section "AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM HEADLAMP CONTROL — IF EQUIPPED"

1. Broken, muddy, or obstructed headlights and taillights of vehicles in the field of view will cause headlights to remain on longer (closer to the vehicle). Also, dirt, film, and other obstructions on the windshield or camera lens will cause the system to function improperly.

2. If the windshield or Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control mirror is replaced, the mirror must be re-aimed to ensure proper performance. See a local authorized dealer.

3. To opt out of the Advanced Auto High Beam Sensitivity Control (default) and enter Reduced High Beam Sensitivity Control (not recommended), toggle the high beam lever six full on/off cycles within 10 seconds of placing the ignition in the ON position. The system will return to the default setting upon placing the ignition in
the OFF position.

I did not have a windshield replaced on any of my RAMs nor did I use products like Rain-X that could cause issues with sensing on-coming lights. I forgot to mention that my 2015 RAM 3500 has the same false positives as did my 2013. I hope you find a solution.

6of36

Reaction score
I found these three items of possible causes in my 2022 owners manual under the section "AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM HEADLAMP CONTROL — IF EQUIPPED"

1. Broken, muddy, or obstructed headlights and taillights of vehicles in the field of view will cause headlights to remain on longer (closer to the vehicle). Also, dirt, film, and other obstructions on the windshield or camera lens will cause the system to function improperly.

2. If the windshield or Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control mirror is replaced, the mirror must be re-aimed to ensure proper performance. See a local authorized dealer.

3. To opt out of the Advanced Auto High Beam Sensitivity Control (default) and enter Reduced High Beam Sensitivity Control (not recommended), toggle the high beam lever six full on/off cycles within 10 seconds of placing the ignition in the ON position. The system will return to the default setting upon placing the ignition in
the OFF position.

I did not have a windshield replaced on any of my RAMs nor did I use products like Rain-X that could cause issues with sensing on-coming lights. I forgot to mention that my 2015 RAM 3500 has the same false positives as did my 2013. I hope you find a solution.
That is interesting. Thank you for that. But being that it resets every ignition cycle, I will just stay manual. I don't mind the old fashioned way I did it for 40 years before that option.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it only resets the sensitivity setting. The auto high beams will work as long as the stalk is pushed forward and it is set in the radio interface.

6of36

Reaction score
I think it only resets the sensitivity setting. The auto high beams will work as long as the stalk is pushed forward and it is set in the radio interface.
He was directing that to me, because I was saying how they are too sensitive and constantly dim from road sign reflections. It would be nice if it didn't reset sesitivity every time. It's not worth the hassle to set every time, so I just turn the auto function off.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last night I was able to confirm the auto high beam worked great. I did not have any issues with it changing from reflection of road signs or anything. Dimming with oncoming traffic was great. I was impressive how "smart" it was by dimming when the cars were a safe distance away vs seeing someones security light on their house.

I also set it up so my fogs stayed on with high beam. Now, the whole front of the truck is flooded with light, which is great.

bwade1

Reaction score
Hey @Jimmy07 looks like it worked. I have not been out after dark to actually see it, but I do get the alert on screen that auto high beams is active. Thank you! Would you recommend using the JT setting for future adds or does it depend?

I really appreciate you chiming in to help. I know AlfaODB is your speciality but good to know you know something about JScan too!

bwade1

Reaction score
He was directing that to me, because I was saying how they are too sensitive and constantly dim from road sign reflections. It would be nice if it didn't reset sesitivity every time. It's not worth the hassle to set every time, so I just turn the auto function off.
what needs to be done to add this feature with obd scanner tool. can you still use the jeep to make these needed changes

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure I understand your question, but if you are asking what else you need for hardware/software....you need the ODB interface, a bypass cable and the JSCAN software. Here is a link to more information on what you can do with JSCAN on the DT

bwade1

Reaction score
I have the OBD tool. I was basically asking if this is the same settings in it as well. But mine is now working so apparently so

6of36

Reaction score
Just an update, since my comments were about the last 3 vehicles with the auto dim, and I hadn't gotten my 24 yet. My 24 the auto high beams works great. They brighten, and dim, at the proper lights. I actually use them now, when I'm not in the city.

Users who are viewing this thread