5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed the Airdesign cut in fender vents?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, that's how it should be handled. I suspect Big Gunz would have been happy with that resolution too.

Unfortunately, it sounds like he's getting stuck with the whole bill minus a small discount (still out of pocket well over a grand). IMHO, that's unacceptable. Sure the bumper to bumper is expired by several months, but the etorque is still covered. It failed due to a known manufacturer defect. I can see where FCA won't cover the light or window replacement under warranty, but it's extremely disappointing to hear that they're trying to stick the consumer with the bill on the etorque system that is still in coverage by claiming "flood" damage.
That excuse may make sense if this wasn't a known problem, but there are multiple TSB's on this very issue. How can they claim the consumer caused the failure? They can't, but apparently they are.
It would appear from the class action suit that it's not the only dealership doing it, and someone finally decided to do something about it.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Attached is a copy of the motion filed to the court. Effie Johnson Norman, v. FCA US, LLC, Case No. 2:22-cv-11393-TGB-CI. You can read the full 72 pages via the attached pdf, but here's a few highlights.

Page 2: ".... This action arises from FCA’s failure, despite its longstanding knowledge of a material design and/or manufacturing defect, to disclose the Water Intrusion Defect to Plaintiff and other consumers...."
Page 4: "... FCA has known about the Water Intrusion Defect and the risks that it poses since at least 2016, based on the increase in Water Intrusion Defect complaints that Class members submitted to NHTSA, and the correlating increase in warranty claims to FCA, as well as its pre-sale testing, release of three Technical Service Bulletins (“TSB”), and other sources. .... "
↑↑↑ I don't know about any of you, but I was never told the window or brake light may leak. I learned about it form this thread and then started doing my own research to get details.

Page 3: "... However, the Water Intrusion Defect in the Class Vehicles results in ... .... electrical connections to short-circuit, resulting in electrical issues with the vehicle’s Body Control Module (“BCM”) or other electrical systems; and contaminates and fouls the rear-cabin airbag and propellant ..."
↑↑↑ This describes the OP's issue. Water intrusion caused "other" electrical systems to fail. Ergo a known defect caused the failure, not a consumer created failure, and definitely not flood damage.

Page 5: "...Many owners and lessees of Class Vehicles have requested goodwill repair of the Water Intrusion Defect from FCA and its authorized dealerships, but FCA often refuses to do so. In fact, Plaintiff Norman contacted FCA regarding damage caused to her vehicle by the Water Intrusion Defect, but FCA refused her free repairs. Plaintiff Norman ultimately paid for the repairs out-of-pocket...."
↑↑↑ Sound familiar? To me, it sounds identical to what Big Gunz has described.

Page 6: "... Had Plaintiff and other Class members known about the Water Intrusion Defect at the time of purchase or lease, they would not have purchased or leased the Class Vehicles or would have paid substantially less for them...."
↑↑↑ I think it's pretty clear that anyone who knows of this defect and its potential implications would NOT have bought an etorque that is at risk. A lot of people have said they only got the etorque because it had a long enough warranty to cover it if there was an issue (that includes people on this forum). If they had known a leak may cause an unwarranted failure, it's extremely plausible that they would have chosen a different truck or paid substantially less for the one they bought.

Page 6: "... Accordingly, Plaintiff brings this action, individually and on behalf of the other Class members, to redress FCA’s common law violations; violations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act; and violations of various states’ consumer fraud and warranty statutes. ..."
↑↑↑ Guess I wasn't off base a few pages ago. They even cite the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in this suit.

Beyond page 7 goes primarily into details of the warranty, NHTSA complaints, TSB's and FCA durability claims.

Attachments

• norman-v-fca-us-llc.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Yes I did shots but I have one more airdesign product on the way (not the cut in vents..yet). Its due to arrive tues of next week so to get the full effect I was going to install that first 😁

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I'm working tha FCA case now ..just waiting to hear back..sent my case worker all the info you sent me😉👍👍
If your not a Lawyer you should be!!!

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
l’ve had the air design tailgate protector or spoiler as they call it on both of my Rams as not too scratch the paint when I’m using gloves for work on the winter. I really like it.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I'm sure that looks awesome on that white truck of yours😎

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
l’ve had the air design tailgate protector or spoiler as they call it on both of my Rams as not too scratch the paint when I’m using gloves for work on the winter. I really like it.
That's why I want one.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I did shots but I have one more airdesign product on the way (not the cut in vents..yet). Its due to arrive tues of next week so to get the full effect I was going to install that first 😁
Ooo, now I'm intrigued.

I'm working tha FCA case now ..just waiting to hear back..sent my case worker all the info you sent me😉👍👍
If your not a Lawyer you should be!!!
Thank you, I appreciate that. Nope, not a lawyer, I'm an engineer. Yup, big nerd here. I was serious when I said that a few pages ago, while talking about the air flow through the vents.
That said, I'm not foreign to the court process either. I have a unique skill set (if you can't tell is automotive related) that has been called upon by the state for expert testimony on more than one occasion. In some cases they want me to review someone else's work/analysis, while other times they need me to analyze evidence to help the non-nerds understand what the evidence is telling them.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure that looks awesome on that white truck of yours😎

Thanks! It looked good on the black one, too - very batmobile-ish look.😆 But I’m a commercial flat roofing inspector in the Midwest for a manufacturer so I went white this time for the summertime woes & dig the contrast - makes everything pop more. Although I reeeeally do like the delmonico red night edition with the same adds like one of my coworkers has.

I’m still interested in the fender vents but not sure if I should paint pearl white to match or do the black pearl to match the front grill.

Attachments

• 29375A49-02B3-4D74-A5CD-BFE3E762883A.jpeg
    29375A49-02B3-4D74-A5CD-BFE3E762883A.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DE4724C8-4FD0-4BE1-9B44-ACE1180A04F5.jpeg
    DE4724C8-4FD0-4BE1-9B44-ACE1180A04F5.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 63F7DB47-FCBB-4778-8D65-2483DB06B5C2.jpeg
    63F7DB47-FCBB-4778-8D65-2483DB06B5C2.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 49

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I was thinking on doing a color match if I did those Fender vents but I'd also be afraid that it would blend in so much you wouldn't notice it so I'm thinking if you did it gloss black would probably be a good choice and maybe I would just leave it flat black for mine but I don't know.. decisions decisions!

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Ooo, now I'm intrigued.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Nope, not a lawyer, I'm an engineer. Yup, big nerd here. I was serious when I said that a few pages ago, while talking about the air flow through the vents.
That said, I'm not foreign to the court process either. I have a unique skill set (if you can't tell is automotive related) that has been called upon by the state for expert testimony on more than one occasion. In some cases they want me to review someone else's work/analysis, while other times they need me to analyze evidence to help the non-nerds understand what the evidence is telling them.
Well as I'm writing this I'm actually waiting for FCA case manager to call me back he wants to talk to me about something that wasn't clear through him discussing it with the dealership ..which makes me wonder what could be unclear ?? it just feels as though they're going to try to wiggle their way out of helping me when like you said This problem is plain and simple... it's a fact that has been known for years .. Now I'm a victim of circumstance because This water leak has probably been going on years prior to my ownership and took a certain amount of time for all those electronic parts to degrade and become a problem...so I get the crap end of the stick .....and of course I'm Joe nobody.. They will apologize and not understand that I gotta figure a way To make energy

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Well as I'm writing this I'm actually waiting for FCA case manager to call me back he wants to talk to me about something that wasn't clear through him discussing it with the dealership ..which makes me wonder what could be unclear ?? it just feels as though they're going to try to wiggle their way out of helping me when like you said This problem is plain and simple... it's a fact that has been known for years .. Now I'm a victim of circumstance because This water leak has probably been going on years prior to my ownership and took a certain amount of time for all those electronic parts to degrade and become a problem...so I get the crap end of the stick .....and of course I'm Joe nobody.. They will apologize and not understand that I gotta figure a way To make energy
Just give me another week shots and I'll get that bumper cover on 😉👍

Rick J

Reaction score
That's why I want one.
I liked the look of it also. Decided to order one. For others that might be interested in it, I went to Air Design. $225.00 plus $48.00 shipping plus $28.67 tax ($301.67 total). I then went to American Trucks. $225.00 plus $23.63 tax. Free Shipping ($248.63 total). Guess who I ordered from :unsure: :)

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... This water leak has probably been going on years prior to my ownership and took a certain amount of time for all those electronic parts to degrade and become a problem.....
Absolutely. They actually reference that issue in the civil case stating the failures will some time occur at the end of warranty or shortly after it expires.
The fact that they're at least talking to you is promising. Maybe they'll help you out after all.

I liked the look of it also. Decided to order one. For others that might be interested in it, I went to Air Design. $225.00 plus $48.00 shipping plus $28.67 tax ($301.67 total). I then went to American Trucks. $225.00 plus $23.63 tax. Free Shipping ($248.63 total). Guess who I ordered from :unsure: :)
It's not bad but not a huge difference from stock though. I see this as one of those things you get if you need to replace you stock one, or have a specific need that it addresses. Maybe not something you replace just because.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I spoke to my case worker his name is Dennis..he was very nice and I had a long conversation with him..he is in total agreement with my situation but he's made it clear he can only do nothing more than present my case and what I'm requesting to the powers that be...so I think I'm at the final stage of pleading my case..I've done everything thing I can do, with thanks to the talented expertise of "Shots Attorney at Law😎", so now I sit and wait a hope that this will appeal the FCA's sense of fairness.🙄...something is telling me not to get my Hope's up too high

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Well haven't heard anything from Ram Cares about my case..probably gonna take a while b4 I hear anything....if I do at all..left a few messages on my case managers voicemail..we'll see..I got the airdesign bumper..installed all the wiring for the lights that are already on the bumper...test fit it and it didnt seem to conform to my bumper without having to put alot of force to make a proper fit..i figured if me and my wife pushed it in place, I could peel the 3m tape as instructed, It would hold in place.... did all the prep work...applied the adhesive ..me and my wife tried to line it up...EPIC Fail..adhesive everywhere..drying on my painted bumper..took me 2 hours to get all the adhesive off🤬🤬🤬..You get 1 chance and it all went wrong..I'm sending it back and not attempting that again🙄...I have installed 3 other airdesign products and they went well..this one..not so much...here's a couple of pics to see what I've done..

Attachments

• 20220722_155551.jpg
    20220722_155551.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220722_155219.jpg
    20220722_155219.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220722_155407.jpg
    20220722_155407.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220722_153057.jpg
    20220722_153057.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220722_153503.jpg
    20220722_153503.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220722_153340.jpg
    20220722_153340.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220722_153324.jpg
    20220722_153324.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220722_155515.jpg
    20220722_155515.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 56

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What rocker panel lights are those?
The upper part on the doors are Airdesign, but what's the bottom part with the led's?

Users who are viewing this thread