5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed a Whipple on a 2019 Ram yet?

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
The max out comment is based on the post #35 as I don't honestly know the limits of this engine nor its flaws and while have been searching haven't found enough the information. I know tuning now is limited but the engine have been for some time
Not trying troll here believe me, I love my truck and its been less than a month with it. My builds have been DIY (except for tuning) The mustang comment wasn't made with any particular intention and sure the 750 wasn't with the stock setup but information in forums like these, know the limitations and weak points for that platform.

The number I was looking for how much power/ torque these will handle without opening the engine, given all the proper fuel and tuning conditions.
There are multiple ways to get a vehicle to safely handle more boost, but with also being new to these vehicles (I’m a gm and ford tuner), I don’t know what the limiting factor was in that power level.

If it was knock/detonation, the only solution is octane to achieve more power... unlikely but possible if these engines are higher compression. Blower cam, or opening up the exhaust will help that, but at some point it’s still a limiting factor without good fuel such as e85 or 100 octane/torco additive.

If it was fuel limitations, you might need injectors and/or pump... with direct injection that is a significant cost, but on port injection like these have, it could be either availability of fuel components, price, or inability to tune for those fuel components. The new gm trucks can’t make much over about 450 whp as they run out of injector, and the corvette injectors/pump/cam kit will set you back about $10,000 installed, just to get another 50-100 hp before you hit the octane limit. I’ve done a few of the new Escalades and they run out at about 7 lbs.

It could also be mechanical limitations such as rotating assembly, transmission etc, but it’s highly unlikely that an engine in today’s market would be limited to 50%, however it is possible something further down the line didn’t like it. I’ve seen many gm and ford trucks frag transmissions and transfer cases with twin screw blowers due to the torque.

So without having one in front of me and seeing data logs, it’s impossible to know why Whipple stopped at 7 lbs.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Boost is only a measurement of restriction... it has absolutely zero meaning or reference with regards to power. Plenty of cars on 7 lbs of boost make more power than other cars running 20 lbs of boost, or more. In addition, wheel horsepower isn’t something you can compare apples to apples, as every vehicle has different parasitic loss, as does every supercharger, accessory etc. Centrifugal superchargers are much more efficient and will show higher power to the wheels, where as crank horsepower may be identical, or even less than twin screw or roots blowers. Turbos are even more efficient as they don’t have a parasitic drag component, and will make more power to the wheels, even at the same boost level. There is also a large difference with tire size and weight, 2 wheel drive or 4, wheel weight, drivetrain length, gear ratio, and even tire pressure.
I’m not sure I get your point. I only mentioned boost in reference to the ridiculously strong bottom end of the PSA-built iron block 1.6L in my old MINI.

Anyway, I was responding to comments by @ramirj2 and @GM convert, not you, and my point was simply that Whipple, ProCharger, and others have likely done their homework on kits that the stock internals can safely handle without additional modifications. They’ll have to do the math for themselves on whether 160-200 HP is enough ‘bang for the buck’.

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
I’m not sure I get your point. I only mentioned boost in reference to the ridiculously strong bottom end of the PSA-built iron block 1.6L in my old MINI.

Anyway, I was responding to comments by @ramirj2 and @GM convert, not you, and my point was simply that Whipple, ProCharger, and others have likely done their homework on kits that the stock internals can safely handle without additional modifications. They’ll have to do the math for themselves on whether 160-200 HP is enough ‘bang for the buck’.
Boost has nothing to do with a strong built bottom end, or internal strength. Detonation can nuke a forged piston just as fast as a cast piston, and same goes for rods and such. Proper tuning and fuel is the key to an engine living long... plenty of people making 900+ on stock bottom end ls1s, and just as many people blowing them up with no modifications done. My cobra ran 9s on stock internals, and others running 13s blew them up. I’m basically saying the numbers you’re quoting, boost levels, power levels, etc have no relevance to the power level Whipple made with their kit.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Boost has nothing to do with a strong built bottom end, or internal strength. Detonation can nuke a forged piston just as fast as a cast piston, and same goes for rods and such. Proper tuning and fuel is the key to an engine living long... plenty of people making 900+ on stock bottom end ls1s, and just as many people blowing them up with no modifications done. My cobra ran 9s on stock internals, and others running 13s blew them up. I’m basically saying the numbers you’re quoting, boost levels, power levels, etc have no relevance to the power level Whipple made with their kit.
Well, the only “power levels” I mentioned were Whipple’s own dyno numbers, so...

JeepTech

Reaction score
There are multiple ways to get a vehicle to safely handle more boost, but with also being new to these vehicles (I’m a gm and ford tuner), I don’t know what the limiting factor was in that power level.

If it was knock/detonation, the only solution is octane to achieve more power... unlikely but possible if these engines are higher compression. Blower cam, or opening up the exhaust will help that, but at some point it’s still a limiting factor without good fuel such as e85 or 100 octane/torco additive.

If it was fuel limitations, you might need injectors and/or pump... with direct injection that is a significant cost, but on port injection like these have, it could be either availability of fuel components, price, or inability to tune for those fuel components. The new gm trucks can’t make much over about 450 whp as they run out of injector, and the corvette injectors/pump/cam kit will set you back about $10,000 installed, just to get another 50-100 hp before you hit the octane limit. I’ve done a few of the new Escalades and they run out at about 7 lbs.

It could also be mechanical limitations such as rotating assembly, transmission etc, but it’s highly unlikely that an engine in today’s market would be limited to 50%, however it is possible something further down the line didn’t like it. I’ve seen many gm and ford trucks frag transmissions and transfer cases with twin screw blowers due to the torque.

So without having one in front of me and seeing data logs, it’s impossible to know why Whipple stopped at 7 lbs.
The first weak point on these engines you will find once boosted is the piston/rings. They are low tension and have very tight ring gaps. Once boosted the greater cylinder pressure/temperatures end up causing ring ends to touch and causes ring lands to break off(similar to GM/subaru but at much lower hp). Change out pistons and add rings gapped for boost and you can safely run 700-800hp with proper tuning and fuel mods.

ramirj2

Reaction score

The limitation there would be emissions and/or gas. They usually tune for the safest margin on pump gas and have a safety factor built in (typically 91).
I mean, what is the mechanical limitations on this with proper tuning and fuel?

As an example

My VQ35DE will handle around 400whp/TQ and the bottle neck is the Rods. I also know it can't be rev past 7200 due to valve train / head flow limitations and the stock clutch would handle around 300 WTQ. The rest of the drive train is stout
Vortech sold me a kit tuned for 6 pounds and I increased to 9 pounds with proper tune and fuel.
So that engine/ drive train combo with new clutch/flywheel and 9 pounds sitting at 412/365 is maxed out.
No issues since 2003 and this one is retired from racing as now it is fun but slow.
I could get more octane or more boost to make more power but the engine would not handle it

My Coyote Gen 2 will handle 800WHP if the cast oil pump and cam sprocket are changed, so i did. I also know that the valve train would handle 7700 rpms
Past that, pistons and rods will get you to 1000 and from there you require sleeves as the block will crack on the knock sensor valley or piston walls.
The 6R80 would handle the 800WHP but not the 2 piece drive shaft. The tranny would require forged input shaft and clutchs pack and around 1000 a billet planetary
Whipple sold me a 11 pounds kit for 91 oct and I increased to 14 pounds on MS109 (105). Now I'm switching it to an aluminator 11:1 to get around 1000k. I know also that have to rebuild the tranny and change my fuel system to a return triple pump to switch to E85.

This is not a drag truck of course but that is the kind of info I'm looking for in order to make an educated decisions
Remain stock, do some bolt ons, get that superchager and possibly have some room to grow, just get that NO2 for an occasional blast...

JeepTech

Reaction score
The limitation there would be emissions and/or gas. They usually tune for the safest margin on pump gas and have a safety factor built in (typically 91).
I mean, what is the mechanical limitations on this with proper tuning and fuel?

As an example

My VQ35DE will handle around 400whp/TQ and the bottle neck is the Rods. I also know it can't be rev past 7200 due to valve train / head flow limitations and the stock clutch would handle around 300 WTQ. The rest of the drive train is stout
Vortech sold me a kit tuned for 6 pounds and I increased to 9 pounds with proper tune and fuel.
So that engine/ drive train combo with new clutch/flywheel and 9 pounds sitting at 412/365 is maxed out.
No issues since 2003 and this one is retired from racing as now it is fun but slow.
I could get more octane or more boost to make more power but the engine would not handle it

My Coyote Gen 2 will handle 800WHP if the cast oil pump and cam sprocket are changed, so i did. I also know that the valve train would handle 7700 rpms
Past that, pistons and rods will get you to 1000 and from there you require sleeves as the block will crack on the knock sensor valley or piston walls.
The 6R80 would handle the 800WHP but not the 2 piece drive shaft. The tranny would require forged input shaft and clutchs pack and around 1000 a billet planetary
Whipple sold me a 11 pounds kit for 91 oct and I increased to 14 pounds on MS109 (105). Now I'm switching it to an aluminator 11:1 to get around 1000k. I know also that have to rebuild the tranny and change my fuel system to a return triple pump to switch to E85.

This is not a drag truck of course but that is the kind of info I'm looking for in order to make an educated decisions
Remain stock, do some bolt ons, get that superchager and possibly have some room to grow, just get that NO2 for an occasional blast...
Read my reply above, the mechanical limitation is the rotating assembly. The N/A hemis are exactly that, built for N/A. Tight ring gaps with low tension rings and 10.5:1 compression ratios are not boost friendly. Change out pistons and rings for 9-9.5:1 comp ratio and gap the rings properly for boost and you'll be good for 700ish easy. Over 550rwhp is rolling the dice stock.

ramirj2

Reaction score
Read my reply above, the mechanical limitation is the rotating assembly. The N/A hemis are exactly that, built for N/A. Tight ring gaps with low tension rings and 10.5:1 compression ratios are not boost friendly. Change out pistons and rings for 9-9.5:1 comp ratio and gap the rings properly for boost and you'll be good for 700ish easy. Over 550rwhp is rolling the dice stock.

That's the info!

Thanks!

I'll look into the boltons.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Shoot, I’ll be happy with 500 rwhp im sure for now. Stock is about what 320 rwhp?

blownout1500

Reaction score
If that’s the case. It is a lot of $$ to be max out from the starting point for my purposes.
This is my daily and It feels pretty good for that , no complaints. (Especially coming from a 3rd Gen Tacoma)
I’m just exploring alternatives to have some fun at the strip and surprise some of these fast EcoBoosted F150’s
Probably the best way around to it would be 100 shot.
How gutless was that 3rd gen taco!? Holy ****. Could not get away from mine fast enough LOL

ramirj2

Reaction score
How gutless was that 3rd gen taco!? Holy ****. Could not get away from mine fast enough LOL
The issue with the Taco is that they switched from the truck 4.0L engine currently on the 4Runner, to the Lexus IS 3.5L.
It has superior top end but lacks low end torque which is what you want on a heavy truck. Also the logic on the tranny is geared for fuel economy and the truck is constantly trying to stay on the higher gears, low rpm to save fuel (the weak part of the powerband).
However it is easy to traid in as the resale value is super high
I had a positive +$4k net value on my traid in after 26,000 miles in 18 months

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I was about to say the power limit is due to the pistons, Arrington even sells “drop in” pistons that are targeted for SRT owners who have the same bottleneck.

As stated, the trucks usually do anywhere from 450-530s depending on the variables. Keep in mind a big tire will hurt your numbers.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
The thing about horsepower is that it's addicting. Enough hp is never enough. I had started off with a goal of around 500 rwhp reached that and then kept going all the way to 1000rwhp. The goal is to pick your final goal and build towards that or you will blow alot of extra money.

blownout1500

Reaction score
The issue with the Taco is that they switched from the truck 4.0L engine currently on the 4Runner, to the Lexus IS 3.5L.
It has superior top end but lacks low end torque which is what you want on a heavy truck. Also the logic on the tranny is geared for fuel economy and the truck is constantly trying to stay on the higher gears, low rpm to save fuel (the weak part of the powerband).
However it is easy to traid in as the resale value is super high
I had a positive +$4k net value on my traid in after 26,000 miles in 18 months

Less power/torque than a Camry if I remember right. Messed around with the OVtune stuff, still didn’t really help it that much. Still wouldn’t hold onto gears long enough to reach the power band.

The tacomaworld folks were (and still are) a pretty rad community for gathering info, but that engine/tranny/tune... ugh!

Skydog

Reaction score
Hey guys going to order a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie and install a whipple do you guys know any dealership that are doing the installation and tuning. I want the truck to be all done when I take delivery. I am tempted to wait for the TRX with the 6.2 but feel the Laramie will better fit me.
Thanks Skydog

itsdapk

Reaction score
Where are you located? I have dealships that install our Hamburger's Superchargers and also in the process of becoming official licensed supercharger for Ram.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score
Where are you located? I have dealships that install our Hamburger's Superchargers and also in the process of becoming official licensed supercharger for Ram.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I'm in oklahoma any dealerships around me that install superchargers?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

itsdapk

Reaction score
I'm in oklahoma any dealerships around me that install superchargers?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Dealerships have cracked down on doing installs on vehicles on the lot. If you have an aftermarket friendly dealership, we can easily work with them. My
Ram will be going to FCA for evaluation after they finish with our Jeep.
Test hit in Mexico
Idling
burnout
dyno

Users who are viewing this thread