5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed a Whipple on a 2019 Ram yet?

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
It's an inhouse warranty. Not like others 3rd party warranties. The warranty their 1000 hp Yenko Corvettes and Camaro's. Pretty putting used parts would cost them more $ having the same failure. The same people also built 55, 000 vehicles for GM in the 90s.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
So your warranty covers towing, racing, and modifications past the supercharger system such as headers, exhaust, different pulley sizes, methanol etc? What about any denied factory warranty claims due to the supercharger such as check engine lights, emissions control issues and catalytic converters, cooling and heating issues etc? Im not trying to discount your kits and/or warranty, however I just want people buying these to have realistic expectations about the "warranty" they are getting. Ive been in the business a LONG time and seen the circus involved with making claims, inspections, and timelines before any checks or parts are on their way, and the loopholes taken when something is out of line, or something missed in the fine print. Id also question if your warranties are financially backed/guaranteed in case something does change within the company.

I also dont know if id use GM and the 90s as bragging rights :D

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing it to mine since I couldn't get the eTorque.
Told the dealer I was going to -- and (as stated above) if Mopar put one out then dealer would install and I'd still keep my warranty.

I'm trying to get in touch with an old Mustang buddy of mine I sold my Procharger to .. he never installed it, so I can buy the head unit back - was going to install it on my Durango R/T .. But I do like the satin black procharger unit -- but I'm REALLY wanting a roots style.

Which kit did you get? I see 2 (although they do say Classic, I'm sure the PCM & tuning would be tweaked correctly.
The roots and twin screws tend to be more fun around town, but they are less efficient overall than a centrifugal.... unfortunately the centrifugals are pretty boring on a large truck since the boost curve really doesn't come in until 3500, nor does it add any torque down low to get our flying bricks out of the hole! If you plan on doing any higher speed stuff or actual racing, the centrifugals keep lower intake air temps throughout the pull, but of the many ive installed on trucks, they just aren't a ton of fun unless youre running higher boost and in the higher revs often. If you do race or flog your truck often and do a lot of highway stuff, those centrifugals are pretty amazing :)

itsdapk

Reaction score
The roots and twin screws tend to be more fun around town, but they are less efficient overall than a centrifugal.... unfortunately the centrifugals are pretty boring on a large truck since the boost curve really doesn't come in until 3500, nor does it add any torque down low to get our flying bricks out of the hole! If you plan on doing any higher speed stuff or actual racing, the centrifugals keep lower intake air temps throughout the pull, but of the many ive installed on trucks, they just aren't a ton of fun unless youre running higher boost and in the higher revs often. If you do race or flog your truck often and do a lot of highway stuff, those centrifugals are pretty amazing :)
Hamburger's blowers spin 90k so boost come on earlier with nice part throttle power. Other centrifugals spin 50k and come on like a light switch like roots styles. Ive owned them all and driven them all. I drive a Jeep with one and even the big wigs at FCA have driven it and thoroughly impressed.

itsdapk

Reaction score
If building 55k Firehawks, Comp TA, SS Camaro's isn't impressive regardless of brand, I don't think anything else would be for you. Lol. Maybe if we build a 1000 hp FCA car w/ warranty? Never know.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yup but most of my rides have been non-boosted and still over 400 HP :)

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
If building 55k Firehawks, Comp TA, SS Camaro's isn't impressive regardless of brand, I don't think anything else would be for you. Lol. Maybe if we build a 1000 hp FCA car w/ warranty? Never know.

Well, in the 90s, Firehawks and Camaro SS cars were finished by SLP... not GM. They left GM as ether a Trans Am/Formula, or a Z28. GM didnt start building them in house until 1998, at which point Firehawks still only came from SLP, where as Pontiac did the WS6, and GM the Camaro SS... There aren't near 55K Firehawks in existence. As far as being impressive, I guess if you call a non functional ram air hood, muffler and some very mild suspension upgrades "impressive" for an extra $5K-15K sticker price, while adding almost zero horsepower gain, then I have some fabulous stickers to sell you that guarantee 20 horsepower! :)

itsdapk

Reaction score
Well, in the 90s, Firehawks and Camaro SS cars were finished by SLP... not GM. They left GM as ether a Trans Am/Formula, or a Z28. GM didnt start building them in house until 1998, at which point Firehawks still only came from SLP, where as Pontiac did the WS6, and GM the Camaro SS... There aren't near 55K Firehawks in existence. As far as being impressive, I guess if you call a non functional ram air hood, muffler and some very mild suspension upgrades "impressive" for an extra $5K-15K sticker price, while adding almost zero horsepower gain, then I have some fabulous stickers to sell you that guarantee 20 horsepower! :)
SLP was owned by Ed Hamburger before he sold it to Roush. Also owned Hamburger's Oil pans as well. They also built trucks for GM as well. The ZL packages I believe. They had 400 employees next to the GM plant in Canada back then . They also build all the new Yenkos and the new Syclone.

itsdapk

Reaction score
I see youre a Cobra guy... you would have liked my 800 rwhp 03 Cobra with a 3.4L Whipple :)
I had a #29 1993 Cobra with a Terminator motor. Never should have sold that thing!

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
SLP was owned by Ed Hamburger before he sold it to Roush. Also owned Hamburger's Oil pans as well. They also built trucks for GM as well. The ZL packages I believe. They had 400 employees next to the GM plant in Canada back then . They also build all the new Yenkos and the new Syclone.

Interesting... I did not know that :)

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
I had a #29 1993 Cobra with a Terminator motor. Never should have sold that thing!

Hindsight... I had no idea the would go up in value... I sold it when they were at rock bottom around 2011.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
Recently sold my 2010 mustang with a 326 forged motor. Made 1008rwhp. God I miss my car but fitting a kids car seat in there would be a nightmare not to mention unsafe.

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
Im hoping the new Hellcat charger gets updated next year... if not, im getting a 2018 M5 as my next toy. I have high hopes on the Dodge though after how nice the 2019 Rams turned out!

ramirj2

Reaction score
I'm new to the Mopars and RAM. But got a Whipple (Gen 2) Stage 2 on a Mustang S550 producing 750 WHP @ 14 pounds on a stock bottom end.
How much power/torque can hold this 5.7L Hemis on stock internals (regardless of warranty) ?

ramirj2

Reaction score
If that’s the case. It is a lot of $$ to be max out from the starting point for my purposes.
This is my daily and It feels pretty good for that , no complaints. (Especially coming from a 3rd Gen Tacoma)
I’m just exploring alternatives to have some fun at the strip and surprise some of these fast EcoBoosted F150’s
Probably the best way around to it would be 100 shot.

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
If that’s the case. It is a lot of $$ to be max out from the starting point for my purposes.
This is my daily and It feels pretty good for that , no complaints. (Especially coming from a 3rd Gen Tacoma)
I’m just exploring alternatives to have some fun at the strip and surprise some of these fast EcoBoosted F150’s
The truck won't be "maxed out" as youre comparing apples and oranges (that is, if you aren't just trolling the forum). The base Mustang kit doesn't make 750 WHP, and as you can see here, no one has installed a Whipple kit into a Ram yet even in base form, let alone tried tuning it for max output, adding better fuel, supporting mods etc. Long tube headers pick up a ton on these trucks, and the surface has really only been scratched with tuning, where as Ford and GM have had 40+ years of good tuning. Prior to 2006, you really couldn't do anything on a Chrysler product, and here we are 13 years later with multiple turbo/blower setups, stroker motors, heads/cam packages and more.

While there isn't an easy road map for the Ram trucks, like there is on a mustang, or other vehicle with decades of performance history, if you want it fast, just find a shop and say "make it fast", if they are decent at tuning these, they can make it happen. Just tossing a 100 shot on without tuning isn't the smartest thing to do on a truck either if you dont know anything about them, or how they react with regards to timing and fuel, but if your only goal is to go beat a raptor, it shouldn't take much on any truck as Raptors really aren't that fast. Most of the tuned ones I've seen are running high 13s, and im sure with all the supporting mods you might get closer to 12s, which my 2017 tundra ran with just the garbage Magnuson supercharger kit. The GM trucks are much faster with whipples, as are the V8 Ford trucks, and if the Ram makes anywhere near 550 rwhp, it will also crush that time.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Whipple shows 478 HP to the wheels (so maybe 600 crank) on their dyno results with a stock bottom end (standard Whipple kit, PCM tune, 91 octane).

Meanwhile, ProCharger claims gains of “160+” HP on an otherwise stock HEMI (similar conditions to above).

It looks like you’d have to get into the engine to go bigger.

Years ago, I had a 2005 MINI Cooper S (when they were supercharged). The stock bottom end was good for 40 psi. There were a lot of guys “twincharging” them back then!

ramirj2

Reaction score
The truck won't be "maxed out" as youre comparing apples and oranges (that is, if you aren't just trolling the forum). The base Mustang kit doesn't make 750 WHP, and as you can see here, no one has installed a Whipple kit into a Ram yet even in base form, let alone tried tuning it for max output, adding better fuel, supporting mods etc. Long tube headers pick up a ton on these trucks, and the surface has really only been scratched with tuning, where as Ford and GM have had 40+ years of good tuning. Prior to 2006, you really couldn't do anything on a Chrysler product, and here we are 13 years later with multiple turbo/blower setups, stroker motors, heads/cam packages and more.

While there isn't an easy road map for the Ram trucks, like there is on a mustang, or other vehicle with decades of performance history, if you want it fast, just find a shop and say "make it fast", if they are decent at tuning these, they can make it happen. Just tossing a 100 shot on without tuning isn't the smartest thing to do on a truck either if you dont know anything about them, or how they react with regards to timing and fuel, but if your only goal is to go beat a raptor, it shouldn't take much on any truck as Raptors really aren't that fast. Most of the tuned ones I've seen are running the high 13s, and im sure with all the supporting mods you might get closer to 12s, which my 2017 tundra ran with just the garbage Magnuson supercharger kit. The GM trucks are much faster with whipples, as are the V8 Ford trucks, and if the Ram makes anywhere near 550 rwhp, it will also crush that time.
The max out comment is based on the post #35 as I don't honestly know the limits of this engine nor its flaws and while have been searching haven't found enough the information. I know tuning now is limited but the engine have been for some time
Not trying troll here believe me, I love my truck and its been less than a month with it. My builds have been DIY (except for tuning) The mustang comment wasn't made with any particular intention and sure the 750 wasn't with the stock setup but information in forums like these, know the limitations and weak points for that platform.

The number I was looking for how much power/ torque these will handle without opening the engine, given all the proper fuel and tuning conditions.

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
Whipple shows 478 HP to the wheels (so maybe 600 crank) on their dyno results with a stock bottom end (standard Whipple kit, PCM tune, 91 octane).

Meanwhile, ProCharger claims gains of “160+” HP on an otherwise stock HEMI (similar conditions to above).

It looks like you’d have to get into the engine to go bigger.

Years ago, I had a 2005 MINI Cooper S (when they were supercharged). The stock bottom end was good for 40 psi. There were a lot of guys “twincharging” them back then!
Boost is only a measurement of restriction... it has absolutely zero meaning or reference with regards to power. Plenty of cars on 7 lbs of boost make more power than other cars running 20 lbs of boost, or more. In addition, wheel horsepower isn’t something you can compare apples to apples, as every vehicle has different parasitic loss, as does every supercharger, accessory etc. Centrifugal superchargers are much more efficient and will show higher power to the wheels, where as crank horsepower may be identical, or even less than twin screw or roots blowers. Turbos are even more efficient as they don’t have a parasitic drag component, and will make more power to the wheels, even at the same boost level. There is also a large difference with tire size and weight, 2 wheel drive or 4, wheel weight, drivetrain length, gear ratio, and even tire pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread