5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone DIY'd spark plug replacement?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a small bit of hesitation, mostly when cold. Sometimes I get a bit of a stumble when accelerating from a stop. Nothing significant, just different and not in a good way.

I'm guessing the same thing, as I drive a lot of highway miles too. This may or may not cure the stumbling problems, but hoping it will. Maybe an injector cleaning next if this doesnt do it. I'm at 115K miles now and LOVE this truck still, so keeping it for the long haul.
If you've never ran injector cleaner through the fuel, it probably needs it. I use Lucas Oil injector cleaner at least twice a year in all my vehicles.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just a small bit of hesitation, mostly when cold. Sometimes I get a bit of a stumble when accelerating from a stop. Nothing significant, just different and not in a good way.

I'm guessing the same thing, as I drive a lot of highway miles too. This may or may not cure the stumbling problems, but hoping it will. Maybe an injector cleaning next if this doesnt do it. I'm at 115K miles now and LOVE this truck still, so keeping it for the long haul.

Probably your fuel

BowDown

Reaction score
How does the motor feel at idle and when accelerating now? I just hit 5 years with my Laramie 1500 DT, and am approaching 60,000 miles. I was wanting to do new ones.

I didn't notice a single bit of difference on my previous truck, 140K on the original plugs with the ground straps burned halfway off (used-up). Truck idled perfectly smooth before the changes and idled the same afterwards. no improvement in mpg or performance and after seeing the plugs, I expected an improvement. The fact that it has 2 plugs per cylinder may be why there was no noticed performance/mpg gains

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WHAT LUCAS ADDITIVE DO YOU USE? IVE HEARD SEAFOAM IS GREAT?
Just the small bottle of fuel injector cleaner. I won't put Seafoam in my fuel or crankcase. It works great as an upper cylinder cleaner when sucked in through vacuum. But it's a mild solvent. Out it in fuel or oil and you reduce the lubrication properties of the oil and fuel

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I swapped out the serpentine belt and spark plugs today as part of my 100k mile tune-up. I'm pretty tore up from doing yard work and firewood so I just took my time and finished in around 2 hrs. Pretty straight forward in the end but I cycled through a bunch of different combinations of sockets, extensions and swivels to reach each hole without dismantling anything. Everybody talks about having a lift to work on vehicles but this is one job where you almost need a pit where you can sink the whole truck down about a foot and keep your feet on the ground.

I skipped the Mopar plugs and went with NGK OE Series Laser Iridium plugs from Advance Auto, (LZFR5VI-11). Stockers looked pretty decent still so I don't anticipate much of a difference, if any.

730312c479d3edb1288d583aa634c7f9.jpg

e3ea71e939d9800766cfe7da0dfa89f6.jpg

eaabac030ab8fb645a24ea4286ccb75b.jpg

4a48539c897c2665d8353f6febb9bf8a.jpg

f066f6dcd63f03dd733eb71d460b56fe.jpg

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
I swapped out the serpentine belt and spark plugs today as part of my 100k mile tune-up. I'm pretty tore up from doing yard work and firewood so I just took my time. Pretty straight forward in the end but I cycled through a bunch of different combinations of sockets, extensions and swivels to reach each hole without dismantling anything. Everybody talks about having a lift to work on vehicles but this is one job where you almost need a pit where you can sink the whole truck down about a foot and keep your feet on the ground.

I skipped the Mopar plugs and went with NGK OE Series Laser Iridium plugs from Advance Auto, (LZFR5VI-11). Stockers looked pretty decent still so I don't anticipate much of a difference, if any.

730312c479d3edb1288d583aa634c7f9.jpg

e3ea71e939d9800766cfe7da0dfa89f6.jpg

eaabac030ab8fb645a24ea4286ccb75b.jpg

4a48539c897c2665d8353f6febb9bf8a.jpg

f066f6dcd63f03dd733eb71d460b56fe.jpg
I just saw the other day, counterfeit NGK plugs being sold. I forget about one small detail on the boxes, but your old plugs have that lot number on the hex. True NGKs should have that too. the counterfeits don't. The guy making the video took ohm readings on both types, and the true ones were all close in the readings, but the fakes varied by thousands of ohms. His used ones tested better.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just saw the other day, counterfeit NGK plugs being sold. I forget about one small detail on the boxes, but your old plugs have that lot number on the hex. True NGKs should have that too. the counterfeits don't. The guy making the video took ohm readings on both types, and the true ones were all close in the readings, but the fakes varied by thousands of ohms. His used ones tested better.
That’s good info to know!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I saw similar for Motorcraft when looking for parts for my Lincoln. Since no one really carries anything anymore, online shopping is the main choice. It is also filled with knockoffs for everything.

Thanks for bringing this up. There are lots of videos on this. Here is one.

Hmmm, here is another....

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Interesting video. I didn't inspect each plug that closely but I'm pretty sure mine are all authentic NGK. One case had the plastic thread protector, the other 3 had paper so that detail may not be a positive indicator alone. All 4 cases were the same size and had the same print. I've been burned on Amazon before with either counterfeit, factory seconds or just used or returned items so I am careful what I buy from them now. The Mopar plugs on Amazon were setting off red flags for me so I decided to buy local rather than take the risk. Dealer only had 8 pugs in stock so I figured I could trust Advance auto and save $2/plug. Combine that with an Advance Auto Perks coupon and I got 16 plugs and a Dayco Serpentine belt for less than what the dealer wanted for plugs alone.

I'm travelling the rest of the week so I'll put 500 miles on these and see how they feel compared to the old ones.

Quick little side note, I typically replace serpentine belts every 50k miles but mine was perfect still, even with 100k miles on it. Wear is hard to measure without a gauge but there were no splits, cracks or visible deterioration of any kind. The stocker is now under the back seat as a critical spare.

Brakes are holding up amazing well also. I was going to change them out at 100K as well but they are still over 60% so I'm not touching them quite yet.

6of36

Reaction score
I saw similar for Motorcraft when looking for parts for my Lincoln. Since no one really carries anything anymore, online shopping is the main choice. It is also filled with knockoffs for everything.

Thanks for bringing this up. There are lots of videos on this. Here is one.

Hmmm, here is another....

I wonder if the one that won't show is the one I saw. The one that shows is different. The boxes on the video I saw, weren't as obviously different, and the fakes in it, were missing the stamp on the hex. This video, the porcelain is a different color, but the other video, they were the same. Multiple companies must be making counterfeits.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I always wonder too if it's a similar scenario to how ATI was selling clones of the Beretta 92, built on Beretta tooling.
Apparently the factory in Turkey fulfilled their contract to Beretta but then kept the machines rolling and kept pumping out the identical gun, just without the Beretta badging.
I think they've rebranded themselves as Girsan now but they still sell Beretta clones.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I wonder if the one that won't show is the one I saw. The one that shows is different. The boxes on the video I saw, weren't as obviously different, and the fakes in it, were missing the stamp on the hex. This video, the porcelain is a different color, but the other video, they were the same. Multiple companies must be making counterfeits.
Could have been. There are a lot on YouTube if you look for fake nkg. I did not know it was so prevalent until you brought it up though.

Users who are viewing this thread