5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone DIY'd spark plug replacement?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at 114Kmiles and getting a slight bit of stumbling at idle. I know I'm a bit late on spark plug replacement so thinking that might help. Searched the subject, came up empty, so I'm curious if anyone has done this yet and how difficult it might be. I know the actual replacement job is straightforward, I'm more focused on the accessibility factor, especially to the rear-most plugs. Any help would be appreciated.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at 114Kmiles and getting a slight bit of stumbling at idle. I know I'm a bit late on spark plug replacement so thinking that might help. Searched the subject, came up empty, so I'm curious if anyone has done this yet and how difficult it might be. I know the actual replacement job is straightforward, I'm more focused on the accessibility factor, especially to the rear-most plugs. Any help would be appreciated.
Passenger side isn't too bad. Drivers side with the brake booster is the fun part. Finding the right length extension and having wobble extensions helps

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Passenger side isn't too bad. Drivers side with the brake booster is the fun part. Finding the right length extension and having wobble extensions helps
Got plenty of wobblers and swivels...is that really the extent of the "challenges"? If so, I'll have a go this weekend.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I'll be doing mine as part of my 100K mile tune-up so I'm curious as well. First time doing them on anything newer than an 04 so in addition to there being 16 of them, I'm expecting at least one curve ball.
A buddy said there was a specific tool required but he's not exactly "mechanically inclined" so they could very well be referencing a wobble extension and he wouldn't have known the difference.

I'll likely be replacing the manifolds at the same time so that may make the job a tad easier on the drivers side if a few of the normal obstacles are already out of the way.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This will save you some time.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
This one works well too. Did my last two Hemi’s at 100k as required and it wasn’t too bad. Just a little more work changing 16 plugs. The back ones are the hardest but easy enough with a few more swivels. The plugs are down in deep so I like the socket permanently attached to the extension and not worrying about it separating.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Though not strictly necessary, some guys are removing the inner fender as it does provide a little easier access (apparently, haven't done it yet myself).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be doing mine as part of my 100K mile tune-up so I'm curious as well. First time doing them on anything newer than an 04 so in addition to there being 16 of them, I'm expecting at least one curve ball.
A buddy said there was a specific tool required but he's not exactly "mechanically inclined" so they could very well be referencing a wobble extension and he wouldn't have known the difference.

I'll likely be replacing the manifolds at the same time so that may make the job a tad easier on the drivers side if a few of the normal obstacles are already out of the way.
Removing the manifolds will have no effect on ease of doing spark plugs

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have used this set up for years on those difficult ones. That's a locking extension with a swivel socket. There are many ways to do it. Like @raygun9 showed, that tool works well also.

Attachments

• 20230907_152655.jpg
    20230907_152655.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 68

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thanks everyone...confidence level is high. I think I have a thin wall socket to use as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thanks everyone...confidence level is high. I think I have a thin wall socket to use as well.
No need for a thin walled socket. You actually want to use a spark plug socket that will hold onto the plug after it's loose, otherwise you will never get it out of the valve cover holes

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I scoped it out today, looks pretty straight forward. I’m guessing the special tool my buddy referenced is a magnetic plug wrench to fetch the plug out of the deep hole.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most spark plug sockets have basically a rubber hose in them that slips over the top of the spark plug to hold it in the socket

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No need for a thin walled socket. You actually want to use a spark plug socket that will hold onto the plug after it's loose, otherwise you will never get it out of the valve cover holes
check that...the socket is a spark plug socket specifically, made for BMW's but is quite handy otherwise.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
This one works well too. Did my last two Hemi’s at 100k as required and it wasn’t too bad. Just a little more work changing 16 plugs. The back ones are the hardest but easy enough with a few more swivels. The plugs are down in deep so I like the socket permanently attached to the extension and not worrying about it separating.

How does the motor feel at idle and when accelerating now? I just hit 5 years with my Laramie 1500 DT, and am approaching 60,000 miles. I was wanting to do new ones.

Dewey

Reaction score
How does the motor feel at idle and when accelerating now? I just hit 5 years with my Laramie 1500 DT, and am approaching 60,000 miles. I was wanting to do new ones.
I haven’t changed the plugs on my current truck yet but the last two idled smother and my mpg bumped up slightly. Power seemed the same. I drive a lot of highway miles so I’m guessing my old plugs were still in better shape than most at 100,000 miles.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
Just be glad you don't have eTorque motor in the way! That bracket is a SOB!! Goes right over the back two coil packs on the driver side, plus the brake booster is there too!

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a small bit of hesitation, mostly when cold. Sometimes I get a bit of a stumble when accelerating from a stop. Nothing significant, just different and not in a good way.
I haven’t changed the plugs on my current truck yet but the last two idled smother and my mpg bumped up slightly. Power seemed the same. I drive a lot of highway miles so I’m guessing my old plugs were still in better shape than most at 100,000 miles.
I'm guessing the same thing, as I drive a lot of highway miles too. This may or may not cure the stumbling problems, but hoping it will. Maybe an injector cleaning next if this doesnt do it. I'm at 115K miles now and LOVE this truck still, so keeping it for the long haul.

Users who are viewing this thread