5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anybody added the factory intrusion alarm system?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I had bought what you just installed last year. I attempted the install. I got frustrated and thrashed it. When I found the purple wire, it was so thin like a thread. Cutting/skinning into it was not a good Idea.
It could cause electrical issues down the road. Body flex could break it or cause a short. On the other hand my Viper system was installed under the dash fuse panels and in the engine compartment. They dressed all the visible wiring in the engine. No slicing into the gang wires in the floor jams like what you had to do in the video. What you installed It is just one $12.00 module hooked up to a relay, for $50. In comparison the Viper System has 4 modules, a main control unit, a siren bright window blue flashing strobe. You even get different chirps when the alarm sets itself or you use your fob. If you touch the door handles it chirps loudly 4x. I'm very happy researching experts to source my alarm system. I got what I paid for.

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Definitely like my viper alarm. And I have all the benefits of Uconnect or whatever it’s called plus some. My phone goes off with texts and an alarm if my alarm is going off. I can be alerted if my truck is moving. Can remote start, unlock and lock my truck from anywhere in the world, can pull it up at anytime to see exactly where it sits on the map and it automatically locks and arms after 15 seconds of inactivity so I never have to worry about forgetting to lock it or trying to if my hands are full.

jrr907

Reaction score
I have the shock sensor from addshocksensor.com installed on my 2020 ram 1500 longhorn. It works great with factory alarm systems. I only get false alarms when there's a vibration from a bad thunderstorm or a vehicle with a very very loud exhaust system passes by my truck. But the alarm reset itself after 2 to 3 mins after being activated. DIY Installation was fairly simple with the instructions provided. Price is very reasonable for the added security.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the shock sensor from addshocksensor.com installed on my 2020 ram 1500 longhorn. It works great with factory alarm systems. I only get false alarms when there's a vibration from a bad thunderstorm or a vehicle with a very very loud exhaust system passes by my truck. But the alarm reset itself after 2 to 3 mins after being activated. DIY Installation was fairly simple with the instructions provided. Price is very reasonable for the added security.
which kit did you buy? also what video did you go by

SeanO

Reaction score
I am not knocking the viper alarm.

I am just saying if you have ever installed your own car stereo or anything electrical really the shock sensor add on is a good fit to the factory alarm system.

My only gripe is that a decent alarm system is not already installed on a $50k plus truck.

Bluesurf

Reaction score

I am just saying if you have ever installed your own car stereo or anything electrical really the shock sensor add on is a good fit to the factory alarm system.

My only gripe is that a decent alarm system is not already installed on a $50k plus truck.
My truck was 70K, the factory garbage is disgraceful. For the money I really expected more. I was devastated to spend ~5 minutes in CVS to get a script that was mistakenly sent to this location. I should have had the script moved and I didn't and I paid a price $4600 damage break in. WTK, all in 4 minutes. The lousy alarm never went off, the scum knows NEVER open a door and its all good, no cheap honking horn. If one touches my door handles you get several loud chirps. If you touch the drivers door with the fob one chirp and its open. shaking, jacking, glass mic unit, are all fantastic. I haven't had one false alarm, we have had some heavy winds and no issue.

Last edited:

Bluesurf

Reaction score

No doubt, it will protect you better than the factory toy. I live in West Houston on a secure gated on a golf & country club course. Its a good place only 42 houses. However some guy went into a neighbors house and while the idiots slept, took 3 apple iPad and laptops, a desk top and two flat screen TV's of the wall. What kind of jerkoff leaves doors unlocked and no alarm set? My take, his sons friends saw all this stuff, thus the theft. Another neighbor left their garage open. Two guys were in there at 4am trying to his a golf cart. Another neighbor saw someone going into driveways trying the car doors to see if unlocked. (That will Triger my alarm with 4 loud chirps, and he will meet my Glock 19X, AR15, Uzzi pistol or one of many other toys locked and loaded.) This is my reasoning to go big on the installation of the Viper system. I do not want to be another victim.

bud007

Reaction score
EGADS man , I watched that video and i was cringing at the wiring he did , its for that reason i am always hesitant to have someone work on my vehicles .
Bluesurf , like you , i am trying to install the shock sensor in my new truck and you are absolutley right the wires are very small and like you ,am a technician ( high voltage / control electrician going on 43 years )
unfortunately i don't have the purple with the grey or white tracers , maybe they have changed them for different colors in the newer vehicles ? who knows but the probe i have has a very sharp point on it ( filed it even sharper ) but after checking about 10 wires , i have still not located the correct door wires and i dont want to start popping door panels just to look at the switch .Geeze having a wiring diagram would be great this job would probably take all of 10 minutes .
Maybe i will start another tread to see if anyone has had any luck or knows which wires they are in a 2021 bighorn .

bud007

Reaction score
bigdodge
actually i scraped my idea of installing this type of system and went with this ( as per bluesurf in another tread ) https://bmmpr.com/
i went with the bmmpr 1 and have not had any problems with it .
the reason i decided to go with this instead of the install is because of the wiring in these trucks ( being an electrician ) these wires are EXTREMELY SMALL and as stated by others could see a problem down the line if not done properly
good luck

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this morning I dropped by Houston Car Stereo & Alarm on Hillcroft off of Westhiemer Rd.. I got to meet and speak to the owner Mohammad. A man who was very knowledgeable and quite affable. Mohammad has a large operation and its very organized and clean. Lots of electronics. We discussed adding to the factory system, where as I can use my factory fob for everything. They are installing a Viper System with three modules, Glass, towing, and vibration. The job would take ~5 HRS. l told Mohammad I would have to come back Friday since I needed to get home about 18 miles west. He told me the Lexus SUV in the front of his building had a key in it and told me take it home, " I'll call you when the Tech is done." I did mention how I was very particular with my Truck and I didn't want any electrical issues, he laughed and said don't worry we know what we are doing here. He has a F150 in the service area which had the security all upgraded. He said Ram /Jeep is the most difficult. Gm and Ford was easy. About 4.5 hours later, Mohammad called me to pick up my ride, it was all set. I drove back and they showed me what they accomplished. Indeed they put in a Viper, siren that also chirps and all the 3 modules, I noticed a microphone under the steering wheel nicely placed, also I saw late last night a glowing blue led next to the rear view mirror. It was very well placed and the wires disappeared into the headliner. Mohammad told me the Technician he assigned to work on my truck has worked for him for over 25 years and the knows installation process without issue. I am very impressed with the work. I have not found any scratches or damage anywhere. (Its sad I cannot take my car to the dealer without getting something scratched or broken.) I'm glad this is done, a break in is quite a hassle. I want to avoid that from happening again. The job cost me $600.00 total. Some may squawk, but for what I got its good insurance and peace of mind.
Aftermarket alarm won't prevent a break in. Will maybe just scare the thief off after they have already broken your window. And at that point, if it was just a smash and grab, they would still probably reach in and grab what they can before running off. Unless you are standing right next to your vehicles they know they have a few seconds to get in and get out before anyone reacts. Most people ignore car alarms now days

Bluesurf

Reaction score
bigdodge
actually i scraped my idea of installing this type of system and went with this ( as per bluesurf in another tread ) https://bmmpr.com/
i went with the bmmpr 1 and have not had any problems with it .
the reason i decided to go with this instead of the install is because of the wiring in these trucks ( being an electrician ) these wires are EXTREMELY SMALL and as stated by others could see a problem down the line if not done properly
good luck
FYI by December, a big upgrade is due on the app. It will give you switches to turn on/off with many new features. I can see this patent being bought up by a LARGE Company in the Auto business.

kdawg

Reaction score
Well, this morning I dropped by Houston Car Stereo & Alarm on Hillcroft off of Westhiemer Rd.. I got to meet and speak to the owner Mohammad. A man who was very knowledgeable and quite affable. Mohammad has a large operation and its very organized and clean. Lots of electronics. We discussed adding to the factory system, where as I can use my factory fob for everything. They are installing a Viper System with three modules, Glass, towing, and vibration. The job would take ~5 HRS. l told Mohammad I would have to come back Friday since I needed to get home about 18 miles west. He told me the Lexus SUV in the front of his building had a key in it and told me take it home, " I'll call you when the Tech is done." I did mention how I was very particular with my Truck and I didn't want any electrical issues, he laughed and said don't worry we know what we are doing here. He has a F150 in the service area which had the security all upgraded. He said Ram /Jeep is the most difficult. Gm and Ford was easy. About 4.5 hours later, Mohammad called me to pick up my ride, it was all set. I drove back and they showed me what they accomplished. Indeed they put in a Viper, siren that also chirps and all the 3 modules, I noticed a microphone under the steering wheel nicely placed, also I saw late last night a glowing blue led next to the rear view mirror. It was very well placed and the wires disappeared into the headliner. Mohammad told me the Technician he assigned to work on my truck has worked for him for over 25 years and the knows installation process without issue. I am very impressed with the work. I have not found any scratches or damage anywhere. (Its sad I cannot take my car to the dealer without getting something scratched or broken.) I'm glad this is done, a break in is quite a hassle. I want to avoid that from happening again. The job cost me $600.00 total. Some may squawk, but for what I got its good insurance and peace of mind.
How's the Viper system holding up, any glitches when integrating with the oem alarm, or multiple false alarms?

I've had this shop do work for me before and they didn't meet my expectations based on the $ the charge. They did two alarms for me and both had minor problems and one time they damaged my car but it's hard finding a decent shop in Houston that works on high-end vehicles.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
How's the Viper system holding up, any glitches when integrating with the oem alarm, or multiple false alarms?

I've had this shop do work for me before and they didn't meet my expectations based on the $ the charge. They did two alarms for me and both had minor problems and one time they damaged my car but it's hard finding a decent shop in Houston that works on high-end vehicles.
I didn’t have mine installed there but I’ve had my viper installed for over 3 years myself now with no issues. Integrated with my oem fob and works perfectly.

kdawg

Reaction score
I didn’t have mine installed there but I’ve had my viper installed for over 3 years myself now with no issues. Integrated with my oem fob and works perfectly.

I'm looking at getting a Viper Alarm and integrate it with my OEM fob. The shop is saying they will install a Viper DS4 and I also have the option of adding the Smart Start module which provides the notifications through cellular. Just curious if that is what you installed? I'm wondering if the Smart Start module is worth adding since the notifications will be more detailed. For example if someone hits your driver door, I believe the app notification through Smart Start will provide that level of detail vs. the notification through RAM Connect app which won't and is a generic alert.

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a Viper Alarm and integrate it with my OEM fob. The shop is saying they will install a Viper DS4 and I also have the option of adding the Smart Start module which provides the notifications through cellular. Just curious if that is what you installed? I'm wondering if the Smart Start module is worth adding since the notifications will be more detailed. For example if someone hits your driver door, I believe the app notification through Smart Start will provide that level of detail vs. the notification through RAM Connect app which won't and is a generic alert.
The smart start is worth adding as you get alerts that your alarm is going off but can also get alerts for when it locks/unlocks, moves, goes over a certain speed, leaves a geofenced location etc… I never used the ram connect app for remote start but I know the viper one works flawlessly

Users who are viewing this thread