5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anybody added the factory intrusion alarm system?

FM45

Reaction score
The overhead console is all ordered up, no eta ... but special orders are usually 15 to 17 days for processing ..

Raydar

Reaction score
Update...
I got AlfaOBD, and the required bits and pieces, and got the VTA programmed (tested and worked) but I did NOT get the instrument panel "security" indicator. So I backed it out. (There were a couple of options that I didn't recognize. One of which included "ITM", I think. But the system didn't like that option anyway.)
I also do not have a hood switch. When I enabled it, it showed "open", so obviously it works backwards from how I expected. (N.C instead of N.O.) So, it would appear that I need that switch. (On second thought, maybe that's why my security light did not come on.)
In any event, I will revisit this later.

The Trailer Brake Controller programming appears to be a success, OTOH, so I still got my money's worth out of the programming package.
So... onward and upward.

To quote one of my favorite movie lines...
"Let's see... what we can f_ck with next!" --Eddie Murphy. 48 Hours.

Raydar

Reaction score
Wow... Nice what you can find when you look around a bit.

From this link, posted elsewhere on this forum.
***LINK***

VTA Vehicle Theft Alarm W/Remote Start Installed: (If all equipment is installed proceed. Some settings might not be set by dealer.)

CBC I/O:
Hood Ajar Switch Input Present

Select “yes

CBC I/O: **VTA Warning LED Output Present

Select “yes”

VTA Hood Ajar Monitoring

Select “yes”

LIN & Misc: VTA System Present

Select “yes”

**Hood Ajar Switch Usage

Select “500 ohm and 500 ohm parallel resistors”

Settings with ** were present in my 16’ Express before installing remote start.

VTA Vehicle Theft Alarm W/O Remote Start Installed: (Working on Tradesman as well with 3” EVIC.)Thanks @Hugearse69

VTA System Present

Select “VTA”

FM45

Reaction score
Nice job RAY!! don't stop there.. add as many OEM parts your wallet can afford... Alfa is always adding updates so make sure you check frequently...

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Have you made any progress on adding the release??
I was unsuccessful in getting my shock/glass-breaker to work. I ended up removing the unit which is not difficult. It will be interesting to see if someone else can get it done. In the video the truck is a Ram 1500, however it may be another year. The hardest part is looking for the door wires in the bundle of wires. You need excellent lightning and indoors is best. The door wire looks thick in the video, in reality its hair thin, much weaker than a telephone wire. If you are not careful skinning the sheath you will break the wire and find yourself putting in a patch wire. There isn't much play in the wires. You have to cut into the loom covering t free up the wires. You will have to cut the manufactures zip ties that hold down the bundle in the door floor channel. Removing the cover is easy. Sadly the video is very sloppy and shows none of this! Also sticking wires under fuses is not good practice or code. (I didn't break mine. I thought I would.) The wires on the alarm unit are very robust and I found it crazy splicing it in with a wire from the door jam the thickness of a paperclip wire. I'm a good technician, I have spent my working years installing telephones, alarm systems and security cameras. And, I couldn't get this to work. When I get a chance I'll stop over at best buy and talk to the Geek Guys who do alarms. I'll bet there are easier ways to make the connections that will last the life of the truck. Then I'll haver them do it if they can satisfy my questions. When you watch the video you will see how sloppy work and very little explanation. I was sending emails waiting for an answer. Only when I wrote back and said I removed the entire unit did they give me a telephone # to call them. Then it was too late. Its out now. I took my time to put everything back the way I found it the best I could. The best of luck to the next man who takes on this installation.

Raydar

Reaction score
... I'm a good technician, I have spent my working years installing telephones, alarm systems and security cameras. And, I couldn't get this to work.

That kind of speaks volumes.
I have done similar work, as well as printed circuit repair/troubleshooting. Seeing how much grief it gave you certainly doesn't inspire me to want to add that to my truck. Some things are just not worth the trouble.
I tip my hat to the trail-blazers and pioneers who make stuff work, and the vendors who produce quality pieces. (Maybe not so much in the case of this particular vendor. Sounds like they didn't much want to hear about it until you threw in the towel.)
Thanks for the info.

FM45

Reaction score
@ Blue-- I can offer my services... I am about 20 miles north of Boston... I can get ya all hooked up... Road trip.. :)

Glenn54

Reaction score
I talked to two different Ram dealer service departments today about the alarm on my Laramie. Neither one had any information to offer regarding theft, glass breakage, etc. I locked my truck with the key FOB, windows down. Placed the key FOB on the other side of the house. Tried to open the door by reaching in thru the window and open the door. The alarm sounded. I also tried to get the alarm to go off by shaking the truck and pulling on the outside door handle, no alarm. Later, I saw I received an email from SiriusXM; Subject was Theft Alarm Notification. I would prefer the alarm sound if the truck was shaken, glass broke, hood opened, etc.
What is "AlphaOBD"? Can this activate any other features of the alarm system? Or do I need to purchase and aftermarket alarm.

deanfx

Reaction score
I talked to two different Ram dealer service departments today about the alarm on my Laramie. Neither one had any information to offer regarding theft, glass breakage, etc. I locked my truck with the key FOB, windows down. Placed the key FOB on the other side of the house. Tried to open the door by reaching in thru the window and open the door. The alarm sounded. I also tried to get the alarm to go off by shaking the truck and pulling on the outside door handle, no alarm. Later, I saw I received an email from SiriusXM; Subject was Theft Alarm Notification. I would prefer the alarm sound if the truck was shaken, glass broke, hood opened, etc.
What is "AlphaOBD"? Can this activate any other features of the alarm system? Or do I need to purchase and aftermarket alarm.
Alpha only allows "edits" of certain factory options. With that said, the only factory alarm on the Rams is the horn/lights notification via an open door. At least to my knowledge. I would assume your notification from Sirius was when you reached through the open window and opened the door.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes sir, that's what I think too.

Alpha only allows "edits" of certain factory options. With that said, the only factory alarm on the Rams is the horn/lights notification via an open door. At least to my knowledge. I would assume your notification from Sirius was when you reached through the open window and opened the door.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I haven't had the time to do this myself, however you can check with the "Geek Guys" at Best Buy. They install and upgrade alarms as well as remote starters. Those guys have the documentation on every vehicle out there. They also have certification training and lots of experience. I was going to have them put in a remote start into my Range Rover. ( In Europe a way was found with a laptop to start the Vehicles and drive them off. Thus L.R. disconnected my ability on my phone to start the car. ) I ended up getting rid of my RR and buying my Ram 1500. I'm not crazy the Ram Limited with air suspension rides the best and the room is enormous! Love the Ram!

deanfx

Reaction score
I haven't had the time to do this myself, however you can check with the "Geek Guys" at Best Buy. They install and upgrade alarms as well as remote starters. Those guys have the documentation on every vehicle out there. They also have certification training and lots of experience. I was going to have them put in a remote start into my Range Rover. ( In Europe a way was found with a laptop to start the Vehicles and drive them off. Thus L.R. disconnected my ability on my phone to start the car. ) I ended up getting rid of my RR and buying my Ram 1500. I'm not crazy the Ram Limited with air suspension rides the best and the room is enormous! Love the Ram!
I have no desire to have my alarm upgraded. I really don't mean this badly either, but I wouldn't let the guys at my Best Buy change the horn on my bicycle. :)

2019Ram64

Reaction score
I can technically with software add the alarm feature to any truck. I can do it remotely as well but it would require you sending me the bcm and having a dead vehicle while it’s removed. All of the vehicles have the capability. It’s literally a software switch. How it works for those without keyless I’m not sure but it’s there

Raydar

Reaction score
Another update:
Finally got my intrusion alarm to work. It actually worked the first time I tried, but I didn't realize there was a separate "switch" for the LED indicator, so I backed it out.
I don't really care about glass break monitoring anyway. Most anyone who breaks in is going to open the door anyway.

Glenn54

Reaction score
What does the intrusion alarm do? Alarm if you shake the vehicle?

Another update:
Finally got my intrusion alarm to work. It actually worked the first time I tried, but I didn't realize there was a separate "switch" for the LED indicator, so I backed it out.
I don't really care about glass break monitoring anyway. Most anyone who breaks in is going to open the door anyway.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
To the OP: Why not go aftermarket? You could retain factory key fob, add remote start and security.

Raydar

Reaction score
To the OP: Why not go aftermarket? You could retain factory key fob, add remote start and security.

I already had the AlfaOBD app and peripherals, in order to activate my trailer brake controller. Decided that, since it was essentially "free" to activate the security system, well... why not?
I don't care about glass break sensors, since they aren't going to prevent anyone from breaking a window. Will just trigger when it happens. If someone is going to break a window, the next logical step for them is to reach in and open the door. Which will trigger the alarm, anyway. So, it's kind of a wash. Aside from that, that's all the security I've ever had in any of my vehicles. Never cared about the glass break sensor. Maybe it's just where I live. Haven't worried about that level of protection.
I would like to have remote start, but it's way down the list of priorities. Cloth seats aren't going to freeze my azz anyway. If I had leather it might be a different story. (Thankfully I have remote start in my G6, which does have leather.)

Timmy0278

Reaction score
Another update:

DId you get the LED indicator light to flash? Is the switch this setting in the AlfaODB menu: “CBC I/O: **VTA Warning LED Output Present”?

Users who are viewing this thread