5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anybody added the factory intrusion alarm system?

Raydar

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I discovered that my new Ram did not come equipped with an intrusion alarm, in spite of the fact that every GM vehicle I've bought since 2001 had one, standard.
So... has anyone successfully retrofit the factory alarm system?
I'm thinking that it would be mostly programming, and maybe the addition of a hood switch, but otherwise, I'll bet everything is there (other than maybe the proximity sensor, which I don't really care about, anyway.)
Any help will be appreciated.

Edit - I did search for this. Found nothing, unless I just missed it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you absolutely sure it doesn't come with it? I also thought my RAM didn't come with it, it wasn't on my window sticker.

I confirmed I had it by locking the truck with the driver's windows down. Made sure my key was at least 20 feet away, when I manually unlocked it by pulling the inside door handle and the alarm went off.

Last edited:

Raydar

Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you absolutely sure it doesn't come with it? I also thought my RAM didn't come with it, it wasn't on my window sticker.

I confirmed I had it by locking the truck with the driver's windows down. Made sure my key was at least 20 feet away, when I manually unlocked it by pulling the inside door handle and the alarm went off.

No worries... I thought the same thing. Rolled down my window. Locked the truck.
Took the fob to the other end of the house. Went back, reached in, and opened the door. Nothing. It also does not have the flashing "security" indicator in the cluster.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I discovered that my new Ram did not come equipped with an intrusion alarm, in spite of the fact that every GM vehicle I've bought since 2001 had one, standard.
So... has anyone successfully retrofit the factory alarm system?
I'm thinking that it would be mostly programming, and maybe the addition of a hood switch, but otherwise, I'll bet everything is there (other than maybe the proximity sensor, which I don't really care about, anyway.)
Any help will be appreciated.

Edit - I did search for this. Found nothing, unless I just missed it.
I know you said you searched- but did you try the directions in this thread to test whether you have the alarm?

Raydar

Reaction score
I know you said you searched- but did you try the directions in this thread to test whether you have the alarm?

Yup. I did.
I started that thread, too.
After I finally gave up on the idea that I actually might have an alarm (and got preoccupied with other stuff for a while) I wondered if anyone had successfully added one. Hence, this thread.
(I just installed my trailer brake controller. Need to get it flashed. Thought I might save some funds if I get both options flashed at the same time.)

Reactions: Jtr

deanfx

Reaction score
There can't be much involved in adding this feature. I added it to my '14 F150. Besides my truck already has remote start so I shouldn't even need a hood switch. Maybe it just needs to be enabled?

Raydar

Reaction score
There can't be much involved in adding this feature.
Maybe it just needs to be enabled?

One can hope. Sort of why I posted this thread.
If it's easy, I'll get 'er done. If it's as much trouble as the remote start, I probably won't.

Raydar

Reaction score
Your Big Horn needed the Level 2 Equipment Package (H2) in order to have the security alarm.
Yeah. I gotcha. Thanks for that. Not surprised anymore.
Looking through the service manual (which is a whole 'nother story in itself) it appears that everything that I need is there, with the possible exception of the hood switch.
I'm thinking that I can get it flashed, and it will work, without adding any hardware. (The hood switch would be nice, but it defaults to a "normally open" connection anyway, so the switch not being there is apparently not a show stopper. And I checked my truck. There is a big hole in the core support, where the switch would be. :D I'm thinking I can add the hood switch whenever - or not at all - and the alarm system will still work.)
I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

deanfx

Reaction score
Yeah. I gotcha. Thanks for that. Not surprised anymore.
Looking through the service manual (which is a whole 'nother story in itself) it appears that everything that I need is there, with the possible exception of the hood switch.
I'm thinking that I can get it flashed, and it will work, without adding any hardware. (The hood switch would be nice, but it defaults to a "normally open" connection anyway, so the switch not being there is apparently not a show stopper. And I checked my truck. There is a big hole in the core support, where the switch would be. :D I'm thinking I can add the hood switch whenever - or not at all - and the alarm system will still work.)
I'll keep everyone posted.
Do you have remote start?

Raydar

Reaction score
Do you have remote start?

Nope. That would be nice, but I've read the install procedure. Looks like you have to rip half the interior out of the truck to do it. I don't want it that badly. (Of course, if I'm wrong about that, I hope someone will clue me in.)

deanfx

Reaction score
Nope. That would be nice, but I've read the install procedure. Looks like you have to rip half the interior out of the truck to do it. I don't want it that badly. (Of course, if I'm wrong about that, I hope someone will clue me in.)
I think the hood switch has more to do with remote start vs the alarm. That way you can't remote the truck with someone working under the hood. Really nothing to do with the alarm, unless you have to have remote start for alarm features.

Raydar

Reaction score
I think the hood switch has more to do with remote start vs the alarm. That way you can't remote the truck with someone working under the hood. Really nothing to do with the alarm, unless you have to have remote start for alarm features.

It is part of both systems. But it's probably to protect the underhood stuff, too. I still think the alarm will work without the switch.

deanfx

Reaction score
It is part of both systems. But it's probably to protect the underhood stuff, too. I still think the alarm will work without the switch.
Let me know what you find out. I'm going to try to go see my service dealer early next week to get his thoughts.

FM45

Reaction score
Alfaobd has a setting to enable VTA --- vehicle alarm. I am still waiting on my bypass module to do such, but in the meantime if a member who has the bypass/Alfa combo and wants the factory alarm, they should easily enable it....

deanfx

Reaction score
Alfaobd has a setting to enable VTA --- vehicle alarm. I am still waiting on my bypass module to do such, but in the meantime if a member who has the bypass/Alfa combo and wants the factory alarm, they should easily enable it....
That's great info sir. Do you think a dealer could enable with their system?

FM45

Reaction score
@dean--- sure, the dealers can enable anything Alfa can do and then some... but some dealers are really reluctant to do so and if they do expect to $$.... whichever way you decide, post up....

Users who are viewing this thread