5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

harman kardon is nothing than a bag of trash

what is your bass setting?

• Total voters

Schnaawj

Reaction score
It wouldn't be very difficult for them to provide a software 11 band eq. but I won't hold my breath for it to happen.

Sound is very subjective, but after having spent some time with a calibrated mic and software I've been able to use a music app with built in parametric eq to tweak the streaming from my phone to my liking, but I don't stream everything I listen to, nor do I use the same app on my phone to stream everything.

Something like a Fosgate DSR1 would be perfect for my needs, but I'm going to need to spend some time and figure out how to build a cable so that its output will feed back into the stock amp.
I feel the same way. Can you explain how you calibrated the mic (type) and software you used? Also what music app do you use for the EQ? I'm also disappointed with the sound as the 3 band EQ is not specific enough. When I listen to tech and dance music it sounds really good (sometimes too boomy but overall ok) but when i play like seventies rock the guitars hurt your ears and sometime brass instruments do as well.

AlabamaRebel

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel that I purchased new in August 2020. I have not had any issues with my HK system. I think bass output is probably about right for a shallow mount OEM subwoofer that has no tuning parameters. To my knowledge, I haven't had any updates to the system. I wonder if some of you without any bass got a truck with covid build issues. I have been pretty pleased with my system. It jams pretty good with volume over 30.

CSPCRX

Reaction score
Found this discussion to be interesting as a new 2024 1500 Limted owner. I have always been a bit of a sound enthusIast, from car to home. My initial impression was my 16 year old self would love this thing, lots of muddy boom that makes things rattle. So I decided to test it and make some adjustments, knowing that the three band EQ will do very little. Here is my test and findings.

truck on accessory with no fans on in my garage. Placed a Dayton Audio mic on a small tripod sitting on the center console at ear level. Mic plugged into iPhone collecting RTA data through Sound Tools app on 1/3 scale. Plugged iPad into input one playing a pink noise file. Audio settings were centered on EQ, surround sound on and balance set to center. Here is initial reading.

Untitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Not surprised and confirms the over bass in this system. 200hz and below blowing everything else out. Dropped bass to -9, Mid to +9, and Treb to +9 and got this slightly improved curve but still way strong down low. Also adding to spikes at 600 to 800 and 4k-10k.

one last change was to move balance from centered to slightly forward with the same EQ settings. Like this.

this actual pulled the bass down and kept the rest of the curve about the same. I’m going to leave it like this for a while and see how I feel about it on various sources. But the data says this is as good as it gets with what we can adjust, but tune to your liking.

hope this helps some others.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found this discussion to be interesting as a new 2024 1500 Limted owner. I have always been a bit of a sound enthusIast, from car to home. My initial impression was my 16 year old self would love this thing, lots of muddy boom that makes things rattle. So I decided to test it and make some adjustments, knowing that the three band EQ will do very little. Here is my test and findings.

truck on accessory with no fans on in my garage. Placed a Dayton Audio mic on a small tripod sitting on the center console at ear level. Mic plugged into iPhone collecting RTA data through Sound Tools app on 1/3 scale. Plugged iPad into input one playing a pink noise file. Audio settings were centered on EQ, surround sound on and balance set to center. Here is initial reading.

Not surprised and confirms the over bass in this system. 200hz and below blowing everything else out. Dropped bass to -9, Mid to +9, and Treb to +9 and got this slightly improved curve but still way strong down low. Also adding to spikes at 600 to 800 and 4k-10k.

one last change was to move balance from centered to slightly forward with the same EQ settings. Like this.

this actual pulled the bass down and kept the rest of the curve about the same. I’m going to leave it like this for a while and see how I feel about it on various sources. But the data says this is as good as it gets with what we can adjust, but tune to your liking.

These measurements are very interesting and helpful!

dajogejr

Reaction score
Very interesting… I’ve found, it’s all about source.
When I play built in Sirius XM or HD FM stations, it’s fairly equal, but not overall as good sound.
When stream music via Car Play, lossless…it’s cleaner, albeit with much more bass…

I’ve had no issues, rarely listen to it past 10…but do get to 20’s now and then.
It is better without a doubt then the system I had in my 15 limited…but with lossless audio via Car Play, I will say… a little too much bass in 75% of what I listen to, typically rock music.

CSPCRX

Reaction score
After listen to FM today and a sat radio I pulled the balance back just a little to the rear and bump the bass up to -8. this Is where tuning to your ear comes into play.

akaTheDude

Reaction score
They must have fixed the issue because in my 2024 it BANGS! So much better than Ford's B&O imo

Bubba1120

Reaction score
Regarding the 19 speaker HK, and comparing it to my previous Ram's with just the 6 speaker sound system, it ROCKS. I am very happy with it, have it set to surround mode, and agree with other, apple music and Pandora sound better than Sirrius XM. The sound stage is so much better!

CoZo6

Reaction score

Is the sub still plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread