5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

harman kardon is nothing than a bag of trash

what is your bass setting?

• Total voters

Keezer

Reaction score
The HK sounds fine to me as well, granted went to a lot of concerts back in the day when they were loud, not like the last 20 years music on low so maybe the hearing is not what it used to be. Audiophiles may have an issue but then they are the ones that would drop 30k to hear the tweeters.

wd40

Reaction score
unplug the sub and reduce the bass to the lowest setting
slightly better

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
I do not have the HK system. But I remember from back in the day (30 years or so) HK speakers where awesome. Some of the best. Today, with all the different marketing channels that manufactures have with new media, marketing is having a bigger impact. So HK can sell Ram some speakers that sound a little better than the stock ones for a good price. HK still has very good brand recognition. Especially in North America. Ram can charge a premium for that.

In any case, I hope you find a solution to your issues. I went aftermarket as soon as I got my truck. Some day, I hope if you order a truck one can specify things like radios, speakers, wheels, tires, colors, strips and etc., from the factory through collaborative marketing.

Who knows?

Rambro1776

Reaction score
I like mine just fine and can hear mids just fine. Maybe you have an issue with your stereo my friend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020Larrie

Reaction score
My 1500 HK is not as good as my HK in a 2000 BMW 3 series. But it's close. But, I can't haul a boat with a BMW.

I know if you place anything on the dash like a dash cover, it kills the highs. I am going to cut speaker holes in my cover because right now it sits in a box.

I love the noise canceling though.

I know of no other stock audio that makes a pickup sound this good. I tested GMC, Chevy, Ford.

My wifes Grand Cherokee has the alpine system and while that is very OK, it is about 80% of HK truck system. That and the alpine has to be debased -2 setting so it doesn't boom like a low rider. And I have to be sure my left knee is not against the door or I lose half the speakers.

I am a long term audiophile, Audio Research and Klipsch at home.

If you think yours sounds bad, I wager a speaker or two are not connected correctly, take it in.

Also, what is your source? I get huge variance with siriusXM, and I always prefer regular FM over satellite. I hate mpeg reproduction as it misses so much of the sound. More than a few FM stations over boost their base so even that sound s crappy.

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not worth the money and the beautiful speaker covers. I can hear almost nothing but bass even with the lowest bass setting. Worse than the unbranded speakers in my previous camry. Totally disappointed.
That is really weird , most of the complaints on the HK system is not enough base . I think 2020Larrie is right , there must be a couple speakers not plugged in .

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have both issues with my '21 Rebel and the HK system. In Orlando, there's one rock station that boosts their signal for HD radio. When I listen to that station, the speakers sound awesome and my bass is at +6. I don't get much bass response at lower volumes, like at 5 or 6, but you don't want heavy bass when the volume is low for conversation. With nobody in the truck, I run at 12-16 for volume and the HK is awesome.

Now, if I go to any other station, HD or otherwise, I need to turn the volume up and the bass response is minimized, compared to that one HD station that sounds awesome. All radio stations and SXM have the same sound, with some bass at +6, but nothing like the sound I get from that 1 rock station. Not sure why.

When I tune in to the good HD station, it sounds just like every other input for the first 5 seconds or so. Once the HD signal kicks in, the sounds and frequencies are amplified. I wonder if it's the station or the radio signal processing.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I had the Alpine and hated the sound. I replaced all the speakers except the sub with Infinity Reference 3 Ohm. Sounds great now!

Sub is still stock as there doesn't appear to be a 1:1 replacement for it.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The HK system in my Limited sounds better than the Alpine system that was in the Laramie I used to own. I'm not an audiophile but I know what sounds good to me and what doesn't. I'm very happy with the HK system.

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
I have no issues with mine. I actually think it sounds great. I have $3k wrapped up in the system in my Mustang and I think my truck sounds damn close.

Definitely, not crap.

Users who are viewing this thread