5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

harman kardon is nothing than a bag of trash

what is your bass setting?

• Total voters

Nick57

Reaction score
I love the HK system in my 21 Laramie. One of the best sounding systems I've heard. Especially a stock one!

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
maybe it depends on the audio quality (FM or MP3 or streaming), it can all depends on the quality. also the type of music matters. For talkradio you need less bass, for techno beats you should change the settings again...which is not doable.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
maybe it depends on the audio quality (FM or MP3 or streaming), it can all depends on the quality. also the type of music matters. For talkradio you need less bass, for techno beats you should change the settings again...which is not doable.

Possibly, I've noticed that Siris sounds the best (clarity) vs terrestrial radio but even that's only some stations. Streaming from my phone is also very good.

Idaho970

Reaction score
The fact that the OP hasn't responded makes me thing he's trolling us, but I'll bite!

First of all...I have to remind everyone of the old parable: "if it's too loud, you're too old"

If you think it is so terrible, you should have done a better job researching your truck prior to purchasing it. Better yet, if you want something better go drop $3k at your local car audio shop and they'd love to take your money.

I can agree the speakers could use some help, and I'm planning on a full Infinity Ref speaker swap (already did the dash 3.5"s).

pixelcloak

Reaction score
I wouldn't call them trash, but I do think the bass is too boomy - even turned down to -5. The three band equalizer certainly doesn't help refine the sound either.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't call them trash, but I do think the bass is too boomy - even turned down to -5. The three band equalizer certainly doesn't help refine the sound either.
While I don't think mine sounds boomy, I agree that the EQ could be better.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First of all...I have to remind everyone of the old parable: "if it's too loud, you're too old"
I resemble that remark!!

There is some music I raise the volume on just because I like it loud(er). In reality the Laramie is quiet enough that my Alpine system really doesn't need to be driven much at all. I really can't comment much on the HK system since I've only heard one a few times, but I thought it was pretty good. I most certainly wasn't left with the impression it was "trash."

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530301 miles.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
It wouldn't be very difficult for them to provide a software 11 band eq. but I won't hold my breath for it to happen.

Sound is very subjective, but after having spent some time with a calibrated mic and software I've been able to use a music app with built in parametric eq to tweak the streaming from my phone to my liking, but I don't stream everything I listen to, nor do I use the same app on my phone to stream everything.

Something like a Fosgate DSR1 would be perfect for my needs, but I'm going to need to spend some time and figure out how to build a cable so that its output will feed back into the stock amp.

myles

Reaction score
Do you have a 2019 without the update? I think it sounds great, definitely not boomy, I actually added a JL audio sub to add more bass. I did blow a dash speaker but that was from always listening to music at 3/4-full volume, so I cant really blame that on the speaker.

edit: also what are you using as an input? Radio, Satellite, USB stick and streaming
FM radio is seriously terrible sound quality, satellite(seriousXM) is alright, I stream/download Spotify and it sounds great.

Last edited:

DomW

Reaction score
I am very happy with the sound. The Boom factor seems to be in the style of music I listen to. 80's Pop is one thing. 2000's Trance/Techno/Dubstep has a lot more noticeable Boom.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like how my system sounds and have done 15 hour road trips with apple CarPlay turned up above 20 for the entire trip with no complaints at all.

A better equalizer would be nice but it is what it is. I would even like more bass. Some radio stations sound like crap and SiriusXM isn’t any better. The HK system is good enough it shows where different sources lack.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really like how my system sounds and have done 15 hour road trips with apple CarPlay turned up above 20 for the entire trip with no complaints at all.

A better equalizer would be nice but it is what it is. I would even like more bass. Some radio stations sound like crap and SiriusXM isn’t any better. The HK system is good enough it shows where different sources lack.
Wow...I can't have a conversation above 12 without raising my voice. At 20, we'd be deaf after 15 hours!

(Note: I did have the amp TSB update back in late '18 / early '19. That boosted system volume significantly.)

Idaho970

Reaction score
Wow...I can't have a conversation above 12 without raising my voice. At 20, we'd be deaf after 15 hours!

(Note: I did have the amp TSB update back in late '18 / early '19. That boosted system volume significantly.)
I wish it went up to 50!

could use some more RMS power in my opinion. I feel like without a speaker swap thought pumping in more power will only lead to distortion.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish it went up to 50!

could use some more RMS power in my opinion. I feel like without a speaker swap thought pumping in more power will only lead to distortion.
I've turned mine up to 38 maybe three times. Doing so tends to make passengers angry with me. My wife feels physical pain in the mid-20s. I'm not even kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread