5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harman Kardon Boomy Bass

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I Have been installing audio systems in cars for over 30 years professionally and I find the HK system in my Limited pretty damn good for a factory offering. It's not perfect and definitely depends on what you listen to in regards to how it performs. I have several IASCA and NACA discs that I have saved on SD cards and the system performs well in many categories that I used to judge systems by. The sound changes dramatically when going between the surround and normal modes which makes me wonder which some of you complaining about SQ vs boomy bass are using. Sure at some point I might start replacing components of my system with some aftermarket ones but I am personally happy with the OEM sound and enjoy not having to disassemble my truck in order to have good sound.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I can assume is that there are apparently different software updates that are affecting the differences everyone seems to be hearing. As several have stated "after" the update, it no longer sounded boomy. So maybe some trucks were already fixed whenever they were purchased. I was told there are no other updates for my truck, and it ain't fixed. I can assure you that if you heard mine with the sub and you said you liked it, you are either drunk, high or have no clue what good sound is... there are no other options... IF you heard my truck. What you hear in your truck is apparently different, as it is with others. I cannot even begin to imagine anyone liking what I was hearing.

The boomy bass has nothing to do with the surround in my truck... in my truck it was boomy regardless... and I mean nasty boomy... and it didn't matter what source you used. The only way to fix it from factory was to turn the bass all the way down to -9 on the EQ band... but that took away the mid bass as well. After stuffing the sub, dampening the sub enclosure and treating the entire vehicle, it sounded somewhat better, but it sounded significantly better without the sub connected, and it won't be connected back. YMMV.

The change in sound with surround in my truck is very subtle... and REW measurements would agree it's subtle as far as frequency response change. There is a slight shift in the sound stage, but at this point I keep mine faded full front. I disconnected the upper door speakers to improve on the sound stage, and now I hardly notice any difference in the surround. Can answer for anyone else... as everyone has different ears, notices different things, and likes different sounds. I'm working on mine to get it like I want it, and it's much better than factory at this point. It won't win any SQ contest, not even close, but it's still much better than straight factory, which was a nightmare in my truck. Once again... YMMV.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Maybe it's the lack of the cool black carpet... lol
Tan just doesnt tighten the bass like black does!

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got black, but I did install rubber mats, which covered up the carpet loops that trap bass notes... then I put a ceramic coat on the exterior, so that's even more reflection... it's all my fault.
thud.gif

DrumBeat23

Reaction score
Got to the dealer yesterday, exact same boomy bass. Very happy to i have found this tread. I read a lot about it and for some people, it's not appening.

I'm musician with production background, the sub is bad. This need a low-pass filter very clearly. Very different if you are listening to music pre 2000's. Digital production or audio remaster rebalance sound for modern system, mostly bass and very high.

Older audio recording and Sirius XM (lower sound quality source) are not enough quality for that. All the bass player note will go in the subs and... a lot of vibration will follow for sure...

Inadequate Cross-over, Low pass failure or simply... noise transfer in the metal frame.

I will get this system because the truck is a really good deal, but... the HK system in my Kia is FAR, FAR better from the start. I asked my dealer : "Does every customer entering the test truck are searching for volume or EQ ? ". He confirm Yes.

Back to dealer in couple days for delivery... i will ask for the update for sure.

Thanks a lot Sonnie for the info

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Got to the dealer yesterday, exact same boomy bass. Very happy to i have found this tread. I read a lot about it and for some people, it's not appening.

I'm musician with production background, the sub is bad. This need a low-pass filter very clearly. Very different if you are listening to music pre 2000's. Digital production or audio remaster rebalance sound for modern system, mostly bass and very high.

Older audio recording and Sirius XM (lower sound quality source) are not enough quality for that. All the bass player note will go in the subs and... a lot of vibration will follow for sure...

Inadequate Cross-over, Low pass failure or simply... noise transfer in the metal frame.

I will get this system because the truck is a really good deal, but... the HK system in my Kia is FAR, FAR better from the start. I asked my dealer : "Does every customer entering the test truck are searching for volume or EQ ? ". He confirm Yes.

Back to dealer in couple days for delivery... i will ask for the update for sure.

Thanks a lot Sonnie for the info
Congratulations on your new truck :)
Now buy a crazy sound system with what you saved on the truck :D

DrumBeat23

Reaction score
Ok, after my last post, I finally buy the Truck i want, and the HK 19 speakers.
Got on the back, remove the sub speaker and.... wow ! If you like Hip-Hop with subs full on, then pass on that. If you prefer your sound system balanced for all kind of stuff, remove the sub. 6 Screws from Happiness.

Look at the size of this magnet ... :poop:

Attachments

• 20201028_174206.jpg
    20201028_174206.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 120

William1034

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited with the boomy bass. Took it to Custom Sounds and they. Installed Mesa Mat in all doors and the back panel. Night and day difference. There is still a little of the boominess left, it is very tolerable. $500 total.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited with the boomy bass. Took it to Custom Sounds and they. Installed Mesa Mat in all doors and the back panel. Night and day difference. There is still a little of the boominess left, it is very tolerable. $500 total.
im interested. did that help with door rattle as well?

G unit

Reaction score
I realize I'm preaching to the choir here... so to speak. I've read quite a bit about this issue, which seems to be a very serious issue for those who are fairly well familiar with quality sound systems in vehicles. I traded in a 2019 with the Alpine system for the 2020 with the HK system. It's insane how much better the Alpine system is, particularly in the bass department. I don't get it. I think about what Harman did with the JBL MS-8 unit a few years back... unbelievable how well designed it was for vehicle use, and they had a couple of guys that really knew what they were doing as far as improving on factory systems. Where were those guys when they designed this system.

I know some have packed the sub box full of polyfil to increase the box volume, which should help with the response... and have also used moving blankets to absorb some of the boomy 80-100Hz frequencies, but we shouldn't have to do this (I haven't done it yet). I have my bass EQ control at -9, and it's still questionable... even with Exact Audio extracted CD onto a USB thumb drive that sounded great with the Alpine system and rivaled some excellent sound quality in my upgraded systems over the years. Sure, the thumb drive is better with the HK, but having to reduce the bass to -9 also effects the mid-bass in the doors... it really degrades the overall sound, and it makes this system more or less a bona fide ripoff to many RAM owners who paid extra money for it.

I've read a few were going to try to add a capacitor to the sub to maybe cut out the frequencies above 50-60Hz, which should help. However, if it is like the sub that was in my 2019, it's a triple voice coil driver, with dual voice coils for the bass response, and a single voice coil for the ANC. If anyone has had success doing this, I'd really like to know if you were able to do it and not effect the ANC. I had to unplug the sub in my 2019 when I was using the aftermarket system, and I was not crazy about the exhaust noise, farts, etc that I had to put up with... the sub portion of the ANC really tamed that noise well.

I filed an official complaint with customer care, but we need others to do the same. They did tell me there were no updates available for my vehicle.

Regards,
Sonnie
Sorry guys I am new to this forum. I bought 19 2500 mega cab With the H&k system. I am not happy with the sound it is really weak. There is very little bass with it up +4. I am trying to figure out a box to put under the seat. I only want to put a single 10. I don’t want to add a seat height spacer under the rear seats. Does anyone have any good idea.?

William1034

Reaction score
Is there a simple way to disconnect the sub? I don’t want to remove a bunch of panels to do this, I’m not good at figuring out how to get them off, much less putting them back on.

Rathiem

Reaction score
If you pull back the carpet behind the rear passenger side it’s an easy wiring harness plug that you can unplug. I did this in mine.

Also for those with door rattles I over tightened the bolt behind the door handles on all 4 doors. Use a ratchet and over tighten it. This helped with my door rattles. It pinches the plastic liner against the metal and really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 Limited has the extra boomy bass as well. Bass setting needs to anywhere between -6 to -9 to even come close to a balanced sound.
I tried stuffing the sub full of polyfill (16 ounces) which made the bass bad in a different way. It became dull and flat but extremely noticeable still. Actually sounded worse. Then, after reading about how much polyfill should be used, I discovered I put 4x too much in there.
So now I put just enough in to full the voids, but didn't 'stuff' it. I used about 3 or 4 ounces and now it sounds a tad better than stock but not a huge payoff that's for sure. I still need the bass at -6 to -9 for most music.
Now reading that a few of you actually think the HK system sounds better with the sub unplugged I'm going to give this a try. Hoping there's still enough bass left to sound 'full'. Not needing mirror shaking bass, just wanting a balanced clean, full sound. Thinking I'm going to be disappointed but let's see...

Wonder if a software update would even be capable of fixing this botched up sound system?

William1034

Reaction score
If you pull back the carpet behind the rear passenger side it’s an easy wiring harness plug that you can unplug. I did this in mine.

Also for those with door rattles I over tightened the bolt behind the door handles on all 4 doors. Use a ratchet and over tighten it. This helped with my door rattles. It pinches the plastic liner against the metal and really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where can I find a diagram or picture that shows which plug to pull? Or am I just pulling it off of the sub itself.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where can I find a diagram or picture that shows which plug to pull? Or am I just pulling it off of the sub itself.
Not sure. But first, to release the seatback, you'll need to find the string behind the rear passenger seat. It's near the top and when you do find it, pull it away from you toward the passenger side of the truck. That will release the seat back. Fold it down as far as possible.
Now grab the carpet on the back wall and start pulling it down. You'll encounter one of those plastic retaining buttons but just pull on the carpet, it'll come out.
Once you pull the carpet down far enough you'll see the sub.
I just did this to put polyfill in the sub, and I don't recall seeing a 'quick connect' plug for the sub, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
Needless to say I'm going to look again tonight and see if it's down there and try the HK system without the sub. If it sounds better, like some say it does, I'll be happy and disappointed at the same time.

William1034

Reaction score
I can release the seat back. Getting the carpet off is a whole different story. I don’t want to just pull it off, and out from under the trim, and not be able to put it back correctly. This I a 1 week old truck and I don’t want to screw it up. I’ve never done this before b

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't have to remove carpet or anything. It's a 5 minute job to disconnect the plug. Release the rear seatbacks using the string behind them (only applies to reclining seats I believe). Pop the 4 (?) plastic clips to release the rear wall carpet, and tug at the passenger side corner to pull it out to gain some slack. Peer down between the rear cab wall and carpet. There's a small wiring harness on the sub box towards the centerline of the cab that you can unplug with your finger. Bit of a reach and tight space, but it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread