5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gushing water from behind the glove box defrost stopped working.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been struggling to find much information on this topic that feels relevant to.me.so I'm bringing it up here.

I have a 2020 3500 ram chassis cab the damn thing is a lemon, as most of y'all must know.

Anyway my most recent problem is that the rain seems to have caused some problems with the HVAC system I got in the truck today and turned on the AC to defrost the wind shield, and after about thirty seconds I hear this pressurized hiss sound coming from behind the glove box. Then out of nowhere water starts gushing into the floorboard. And I'm not talking like drip drops I'm talking like half a gallon or more of water.

This happened once before but the heater started working again, so I thought it was a fluke. But sure enough it's happened again, and it seems to be related to the rain.

What the hell is wrong with MFG these days?
The stiching in my passenger seat is all falling apart too, and no one even sits in the damn things.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It wouldn't cause a pressurized hiss, but being the truck is three years old, your cowl drain may be plugged. If the water gets high enough in the cowl, it will leak into the truck.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
☝🏻this. Or your evaporator core drain is plugged

Reaction score
It wouldn't cause a pressurized hiss, but being the truck is three years old, your cowl drain may be plugged. If the water gets high enough in the cowl, it will leak into the truck.
Would you assume that my HVAC system is fried?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would you assume that my HVAC system is fried?
Not necessarily, could be anywhere from fried to no biggie, but probably at least needs some cleaning. My guess would be that rain finds its way into the defrost duct by leak or blocked drain described above, and when you set to defrost the gate opens and lets it run downhill into the heating ducts. It sounds like the gate still moves at least, and you didn't say if it still produces heating and cooling. So fix the leak or blocked drain, dry it out and see if all still works. If you can beg borrow or steal a borescope, maybe give it a good internal inspection for rust and corrosion. Replace or lube the filter and anything else that looks bad as needed. Dig until you get to the bottom, then build back, and good luck!

6of36

Reaction score
It is the same drain. There is a rubber tube coming out of the firewall, turning down. It is formed flat at the end, to prevent things going up in to it. You can just sort of roll it between your finger and thumb, to clear it. If a lot of water comes out, that is the culprit. It is actually to drain the condensation from the a/c, but also drains the water that goes in the cowl air intake, from rain, or carwashes.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey there,

We'd like to hear more about what concerns you've had with your truck. If you'd like some assistance with your current concern, we'd love to get you some help diagnosing this. Please reach out to us via direct messaging, if you're interested.

Callie
Ram Cares

smashweights

Reaction score
You can also check these as I had water issues behind the glove box

Reaction score
Not necessarily, could be anywhere from fried to no biggie, but probably at least needs some cleaning. My guess would be that rain finds its way into the defrost duct by leak or blocked drain described above, and when you set to defrost the gate opens and lets it run downhill into the heating ducts. It sounds like the gate still moves at least, and you didn't say if it still produces heating and cooling. So fix the leak or blocked drain, dry it out and see if all still works. If you can beg borrow or steal a borescope, maybe give it a good internal inspection for rust and corrosion. Replace or lube the filter and anything else that looks bad as needed. Dig until you get to the bottom, then build back, and good luck!

Reaction score
The cabin air filter is full beyond my imagination

Reaction score

IMG_20230409_135955450.jpg

Reaction score
I'm an arborist, and I use the chipper with my truck from time to time, it's constantly throwing chips up into that cowl. The drain was clogged and the cabin air filter was completely chock full of saw dust and chips and needles, when I took out the filter the fan fired up and ac and heat started working again.

Thanks for your help everyone

6of36

Reaction score
I guess the good thing, is that there is a cabin filter. I never really thought that much of them, like it was a gimmick. In this case, if it wasn't there, that would all have been inside the system. Glad you got it figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread