5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guidance on towing capacity for a 2019 RAM1500 Warlock 4x4 5.7L

Chuck Dunlop

Reaction score
Fairly new to towing with this new rig....a RAM and a larger trailer. I am seeing conflicting messages on what my truck is rated for 7600 - 12k lbs plus tow capacity.

My new travel trailer is 7600 lbs dry weight. Will this truck work, and if not, are there any upgrades I can do (cost effective - e.g. air bags) to make it so? Or, do I need a new truck?

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fairly new to towing with this new rig....a RAM and a larger trailer. I am seeing conflicting messages on what my truck is rated for 7600 - 12k lbs plus tow capacity.

My new travel trailer is 7600 lbs dry weight. Will this truck work, and if not, are there any upgrades I can do (cost effective - e.g. air bags) to make it so? Or, do I need a new truck?

Thanks in advance!

Charlie
The sticker on the inside of your drivers side door should tell you the maximum payload. Let’s start there. With a 7600-lb trailer, you’re over 900 lbs on the hitch already. Depending on how much you load the trailer (and assuming you use a weight distributing hitch), you could easily be at 1200-1300 lbs at the hitch.
Add your weight plus the weight of any cargo and passengers, then compare the total to your payload capacity.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I probably should have expanded a little more. Unless you’ve got crazy-high payload capacity (like 1800 lbs), you’re probably over capacity.
Also, what class is your receiver? If it’s Class III, forget it. Even a Class IV is possibly going to be overloaded.
Then there’s the actual pulling capacity (which is the only spec that Ram advertises). You’ll almost always exceed your other variables before you exceed the pulling capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread