5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise steering wheel

Alex2014

Reaction score
I have a grinding noise coming from the steering wheel when I turn to the right. Someone with this issue fixed.

tonyplants

Reaction score
I have a grinding noise coming from the steering wheel when I turn to the right. Someone with this issue fixed.
I have a intermittent grind/squeak when turning either direction while driving or standing still. Dealer has "clock spring" on order (back order with unknown date) for replacement. Dealer opened Starcase and supposedly got engineer involved.
771646203da4f0aece7cb7789f2c8eb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hey Alex, if you move forward with addressing this with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

I have a intermittent grind/squeak when turning either direction while driving or standing still. Dealer has "clock spring" on order (back order with unknown date) for replacement. Dealer opened Starcase and supposedly got engineer involved.

Hey Tony, if it would be of interest, I would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf to try and get the part in sooner. We are always a PM away!

Mark
RamCares

Bchbnd

Reaction score
Hey Alex, if you move forward with addressing this with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Hey Tony, if it would be of interest, I would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf to try and get the part in sooner. We are always a PM away!

Mark
RamCares
Search noise while turning. Video was posted with the sound. Mine was the rack & pinion. Noise has not happened once after replacing.

tonyplants

Reaction score

Mark
RamCares
Mark, Already in contact with a FCA Customer Retention Case Manager and have star case open. Thanks though.

RamCares

Reaction score
Mark, Already in contact with a FCA Customer Retention Case Manager and have star case open. Thanks though.

Glad to hear it, Tony! Please know we are always a PM away if needed.

Mark
RamCares

Alex2014

Reaction score

Do you feel a rattle behind or under steering wheel when hit a bump ? Something like a loose part.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Do you feel a rattle behind or under steering wheel when hit a bump ? Something like a loose part.
Negative. Squeak/grind when turning. They replaced clock spring, no more noise so far.

jman307

Reaction score
Good day! I have the exact same sound on the video posted above. The steering wheel sounds like a snare drum swing rattling but only when i go over shallow bumps especially at highway speeds. For example lane reflectors and rumble strips really set off the rattling noise. I don't have a squeak or grind sound just the rattle. Was the clock spring a fix for this as well? I would like to have some ammo for when I take it to the shop.

MarneTpt92

Reaction score

I know this is a bit old by now, but I have just under 5k miles on my 2020 Laramie 1500 and just noticed that “plastic rubbing” type noise. Reading this thread convinced me something might be wrong and not just trim rubbing.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello all, we have an update for you regarding your vehicle concerns! A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) has recently been released that may apply to the symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. Please note, this TSB is for affected 2020-2021 DT Rams. To verify that this applies, Ram Cares recommends taking your vehicle to a dealer as a qualified technician will be able to best discern if the details of this TSB meet the specifics of your vehicle. If you would like additional support throughout the duration of this process, we encourage you to send a private message to our team! We would love to help alongside your Ram dealership and look forward to hearing from you.

Hannah
Ram Cares

1620672660351.png

RamCares

Reaction score
We have another follow up for everyone! A service solution is in now in progress for 2019 MY DT Rams that are experiencing steering/grinding concerns. Ram Cares will be sure to update everyone with additional details as they become available. Thank you for your patience at this time!

Hannah
Ram Cares

jmagsho

Reaction score
Ramcares,

Is there any update on the TSB for the grinding noise while turning on the 2019's?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
We have another follow up for everyone! A service solution is in now in progress for 2019 MY DT Rams that are experiencing steering/grinding concerns. Ram Cares will be sure to update everyone with additional details as they become available. Thank you for your patience at this time!

Hannah
Ram Cares
My 2020 does this too

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

rutherfordk

Reaction score
Hello all, we have an update for you regarding your vehicle concerns! A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) has recently been released that may apply to the symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. Please note, this TSB is for affected 2020-2021 DT Rams. To verify that this applies, Ram Cares recommends taking your vehicle to a dealer as a qualified technician will be able to best discern if the details of this TSB meet the specifics of your vehicle. If you would like additional support throughout the duration of this process, we encourage you to send a private message to our team! We would love to help alongside your Ram dealership and look forward to hearing from you.

Hannah
Ram Cares

View attachment 92982
Just out of curiosity as I have been unable to find anything online but does this service bulletin extend to the 2500's as well? My brand new 2021 2500 Limited Megacab is making this noise as well and my dealer is telling me that it is "normal"

jman307

Reaction score
I have the same noise...is yours solved? Thanks Mike
Mine is different, only rattles at or above highway speeds and when I hit shallow bumps/expansion joints and centerline reflectors. Mine also has more of a snare drum rattle sound, very light snare sound that is. Had them readjust/reseat the clock spring in the steering wheel and still rattles....

richieoki123

Reaction score
Has anybody found the solution it's driving me bonkers.. .my 19 is in the shop, if something gets fixed I will post.

Users who are viewing this thread