5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand design reflection

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys
Thats the opinion i was having but they say their 1/2 ton towable lol
I guess i will have to put it off for a year till the new hd are out
I've been in a 2016 Longhorn pulling 11500lbs from Regina to Winnipeg without so much as a grunt or complaint. That Longhorn has over 200,oooklm now and still pulls over loaded work trailers daily.

FCA numbers have been under rated since 1967.

laminad

Reaction score
I've been in a similar boat in calculating payload vs towing capacity. I'm buying an Airstream next year, and the Tongue Weights are very heavy. Some of you may find this thread discussion helpful because it describes the misinterpretation of language surrounding tongue weights vs. receiver load: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ongue-weights-and-trailer-weights-121859.html

After reading many armchair experts and seasoned veterans generous sharing of experience and opinions, here are my PERSONAL, laymen drawn conclusions re: mfgr's guidelines and towing capacity.

1) A Truck mfgr publishes limits on several key areas - receiver hitch, payload, gcvwr, axle and total gvwr. Whether or not they underrate capability is irrelevant to me. I will stay within these published limits because in the event of a tragic accident the risk of being negligent in litigation is not worth it to me - no matter how well the TV + TT performs.

2) Payload is important because it's a published limit. What's more important is not overloading the front and rear axles past their limits. I see my door sticker payload as the limit for total weight of hauling stuff in the truck without trailer... but it's more of a guide when I'm not hooked up to a TT. i.e. if I put 1600lbs over my front axles, I haven't exceeded my payload, but I just wrecked my front axle.

3) Tongue weight can be confusing - especially if you have a heavy hitch like Propride/Hensley. Most important thing is to get tongue weight between 10-15% of TT weight to help fight sway. Best way to measure your tongue weight is at CAT scale calculations. (Look at other threads for calcs on how to do this)

4) When hooked up to TT: CAT Scales are the best and really only way to see how the weight distribution hitch and TT load balancing is distributed. Consequently, this is the only way to see if you're within your Axle weight limits. The steer axle should be close to the same weight whether it's loaded with a TT or without. With CAT scale measurements, payload as a static load calc becomes less critical. Difficult (for me) calculations of dynamic vector forces relating to axles, length of levers (hitch, receiver), length of axle to axle, etc become much more important when hooked to a TT. This is why I will calculate my max loads, distribution of weight, and hauling capability with CAT scales and use TT GVWR and trailer length/height as my guideline for TV compatibility.

5) Towing a giant TT is much different than towing a flat trailer due to drag and the sail effect. Everyone's comfort limits here varies based on personal experience and preference. I have set my personal comfort limits at a TT with GVWR of 7200lbs and max 28' length hitch to bumper towing with 1/2 ton. Any larger, and I will move up to a 3/4 ton - not so much for safety, but mainly for comfort and ease of towing (larger gas tanks, mirrors, E-rated tires, Bigger breaks, blah blah blah)... want to enjoy the journey not just the destination.

6) Everyone has an opinion. Yours is right and to argue with you would be foolish on my behalf. If you want to argue with my opinion, then feel free because by my logic you'd be a fool. If you have extra wisdom to share, then do so generously as I want to learn.

Last edited:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Comfort level... best advice I've seen about towing, period. These trucks can pull most recreational trailers... but comfort level is way more important. If you're driving with white nuckles the whole trip, that's way more dangerous than a couple pounds over rated limits.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Comfort level... best advice I've seen about towing, period. These trucks can pull most recreational trailers... but comfort level is way more important. If you're driving with white nuckles the whole trip, that's way more dangerous than a couple pounds over rated limits.

I agree with the comfort level advice, too. If it feels unsafe to you when driving or just looking at the load, don’t ignore those feelings. I regularly tow a 12kish flatbed with my 8kish rated last gen Ram 1500, and a few times a year have to tow a tall seed wagon that can approach 16-18k. It is waaaay over legal limits, but I can drive it the same way as I would farm equipment that isn’t road legal, either. I have the option to take gravel roads, drive 20mph, and can see oncoming traffic from 5 miles away, etc etc. I am comfortable I can do it safely, but I would never recommend it to anyone.

Also, if towing outside of legal limits makes you uncomfortable, follow the limits. Simple.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Our new Rutters has a CAT scale. I really want to take my setup
Out and see what we weigh.

My current setup, truck and camper, are no where near each others limits.

My constant want of a 2019 Rebel, I would probably have to make a stop here often.

Wish it was easier to test a truck and a trailer, quite frankly I am sick of crunching numbers,and unfortunately I am not in the position to make a 60 thousand dollar compromise.

Really enjoy the continued conversation on this, as I feel alot better knowing people actually do think of this.

Watching rigs go out of the campground, I really wish I had their specs, because some seem way over and others way under. Just curious how some manage these things down the highway...cause I know very few stay under 60 mph.

The airstream thread gave me a headache,lol. Seemed like people arguing about two different ways to say the same thing.

Good times

Users who are viewing this thread