5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand design reflection

GeoZ

Reaction score
Just wondering what is the tow limit for ram 1500 limited? Will it tow a 8500 pound reflection rv?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have actually been working pretty hard to find this info out.

You didn't give near enough info, but you will atleast need to know if you are looking at 2wd or 4wd.

Limited only comes in crew cab with a choice of 5'7 or 6'4 bed

Limiteds are very loaded standard and your only real options are rambox and panoramic sunroof.

They come standard with a Hemi
Choice of 3.21 or 3.92

So a 2wd has a GVWR of 6900 any options
And a 4wd has a GVWR of 7100 any options.

The GCVWR changes based on rear gear.
3.21 13900
3.92 17000

So now comes the math part. Since I am not sure what your build would be we will go with our average of 1450 payload and a 4x4 with 3.92, which means the truck weighs 5650. Take that from GCVWR and trailer can weigh 11350, but you can't tow that.

So you say your camper weighs 8500lbs...so 850 tongue weight

1450 minus 850 tongue weight leaves you with 601 lbs of payload.

That leaves you with 10500 lbs GCVWR, so yes it can tow your 8500lb camper as long as your passengers and gear do not exceed 601 lbs.

Check out these links

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/please-post-your-tire-and-loading-sticker.374/page-5

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...et-my-needs-or-am-i-waiting-for-the-2500.437/

Any more questions or if you figure your options, post them up

ewag

Reaction score
devildodge's response above is pretty awesome explanation.

Here's another place you could look at for a towing chart. It doesn't account for added weight (reduced capacity) of various trim levels, but it's a good one-stop-shop for understanding cargo and towing capacities as a function of engines, drive train, rear ends, bed length, etc.....

Look for "Towing Charts" on the right side under "Press Kit"
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18753&mid=

4midlife

Reaction score
I am not trying to hijack the thread but I really tried to follow the math about by DevilDodge but don't fully understand it. I too am looking at towing a Grand Design Camper and want to make sure that my truck will be safe. Here is what I have...

Can you help me with the math? Thanks

2019 Ram Crew Cab 4x4 with 3.21
Hemi - Non eTorque
6 foot - 4 inch bed
Payload - 1830
Max Trailer rating - 8,220
GCVWR - 13,900

32 foot Travel Trailer
6195 lb's UVH
604 lb tongue weight

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@4midlife 2 questions what trim is the truck and where did you get the payload.

The trailer is plenty within the tow rating

Since we have yet to see a crew cab 4x4 with anywhere near 1830lbs of payload, I am going to guess you got that from the chart.

If you have the truck, look in your driver's door jamb and you will see the payload on a yellow and white sticker. If not you may be better off to go with a rating of 1480 cause that is close to our average.

Once you get the payload, take away the 604lb tongue weight. This is what you have left to put in the truck.

If you, any passengers, and any supplies are less than that, then you will have no issues.

Good luck

4midlife

Reaction score
@4midlife 2 questions what trim is the truck and where did you get the payload.

The trailer is plenty within the tow rating

Since we have yet to see a crew cab 4x4 with anywhere near 1830lbs of payload, I am going to guess you got that from the chart.

If you have the truck, look in your driver's door jamb and you will see the payload on a yellow and white sticker. If not you may be better off to go with a rating of 1480 cause that is close to our average.

Once you get the payload, take away the 604lb tongue weight. This is what you have left to put in the truck.

If you, any passengers, and any supplies are less than that, then you will have no issues.

Good luck

Yes, you are correct. I took that from the chart :). I will check the sticker in the door. Thank you!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. I took that from the chart :). I will check the sticker in the door. Thank you!
When you get that info please post for us. And if you get a chance fill out your signature with the specs of your truck.

Anxious to hear what you decide about the camper.

Keep us posted. Thanks.

4midlife

Reaction score
When you get that info please post for us. And if you get a chance fill out your signature with the specs of your truck.

Anxious to hear what you decide about the camper.

Keep us posted. Thanks.

Payload on the door sticker shows 1361 lbs, not very high. This doesn't leave much room as my family is estimated at around 550 lbs and will only become more as the kids get older. If my math is correct is leaves around 200lbs for additional cargo.

That being said couldn't I just put more of the cargo in the camper?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is a possibility, but you also have to be mindful of how much cargo and where you put it. Tongue weight will be affected. And the trailer has a payload limit also.

I see we have similar problems. 200lb isn't much...but I think you could manage just fine.

Guess 1480 was a very high number...1361 is about what I have in reserve with my 99 2500.

I tow conservatively though, most will tell you it is fine hook up and go...maybe some others will give their opinion.

Alot of guys here are hauling campers.

Thanks for getting back with those numbers.

4midlife

Reaction score
That is a possibility, but you also have to be mindful of how much cargo and where you put it. Tongue weight will be affected. And the trailer has a payload limit also.

I see we have similar problems. 200lb isn't much...but I think you could manage just fine.

Guess 1480 was a very high number...1361 is about what I have in reserve with my 99 2500.

I tow conservatively though, most will tell you it is fine hook up and go...maybe some others will give their opinion.

Alot of guys here are hauling campers.

Thanks for getting back with those numbers.
A couple of more questions. I am assuming I need to consider the weight of a WDH which is most likely around 100lbs. Does the WDH give me the ability to adjust tongue weight in putting more weight into the trailer.
My truck shows a tow rating of roughly 8200 lbs and the trailer is 6200 empty. This leaves approx 2k lbs on the high end. My question is with the limited payload of the truck can I add more weight into the trailer and have the ability to adjust tongue weight in not exceeding the payload?

I have a strong suspicion that I will hit the payload once the WDH, propane and batteries are installed without a single item in the bed of the truck. Ugh

I hope that makes sense.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple of more questions. I am assuming I need to consider the weight of a WDH which is most likely around 100lbs. Does the WDH give me the ability to adjust tongue weight in putting more weight into the trailer.
My truck shows a tow rating of roughly 8200 lbs and the trailer is 6200 empty. This leaves approx 2k lbs on the high end. My question is with the limited payload of the truck can I add more weight into the trailer and have the ability to adjust tongue weight in not exceeding the payload?

I have a strong suspicion that I will hit the payload once the WDH, propane and batteries are installed without a single item in the bed of the truck. Ugh

I hope that makes sense.
Just as a point of reference...My trailer came with a factory empty weight of 5168 and a tongue weight of 658. Scale weight, loaded for camping, the tongue weight is 860 (with weight distribution hitch hooked up, this is the total weight transferred from the trailer to the truck axles) and the camper weighs 6400 (total, including tongue weight). No water in the tanks, 2 batteries, 2 20lb propane tanks filled, all the camping accessories, clothes and food for a 2 week trip for two adults and 1 small dog. Not even carrying the generator. The weight adds up quick. There is very little storage in the rear of my camper so I try to load most of the heavy stuff directly over the axles, lighter stuff towards the front.

Last edited:

4midlife

Reaction score
Just as a point of reference...My trailer came with a factory empty weight of 5168 and a tongue weight of 658. Scale weight, loaded for camping, the tongue weight is 900 (with weight distribution hooked up) pounds and the camper weighs 6400 (total, including tongue weight). No water in the tanks, 2 batteries, 2 20lb propane tanks filled, all the camping accessories, clothes and food for a 2 week trip for two adults and 1 small dog. Not even carrying the generator. The weight adds up quick. There is very little storage in the rear of my camper so I try to load most of the heavy stuff directly over the axles, lighter stuff towards the front.
Does that exceed your payload? I am starting to think I should have purchased an 2500. Either that or get a different travel trailer

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does that exceed your payload? I am starting to think I should have purchased an 2500. Either that or get a different travel trailer
Welcome to the club, After years of owning 2500 Ram trucks I thought I could try the new Rebel as it is an awesome truck....but I can't justify the payload and since we have decided on a 8 foot bed, my decision was made for me.

I see plenty of members here have towed theirs just fine, and I see it every weekend we camp 1500 trucks hauling all sizes of campers.

But i just can't justify it for our situation.

Good luck with your dilemma, the camper makers make plenty of claims lately that they are 1/2 ton towable.

4midlife

Reaction score
Welcome to the club, After years of owning 2500 Ram trucks I thought I could try the new Rebel as it is an awesome truck....but I can't justify the payload and since we have decided on a 8 foot bed, my decision was made for me.

I see plenty of members here have towed theirs just fine, and I see it every weekend we camp 1500 trucks hauling all sizes of campers.

But i just can't justify it for our situation.

Good luck with your dilemma, the camper makers make plenty of claims lately that they are 1/2 ton towable.
Is payload limit more due to tires?

Canada Mike

Reaction score
So I'm reading this and other treads and frankly its a bit confusing for me. I'm just a simple guy lol. I thought I was redy to order but wondering if these trucks are enough. Not sure how to equate the numbers. These I believe are for a pull along and I am looking at a 5th wheel. The unit shows 1498lbs hitch weight (in the box) and a trailer weight of 8515 UVW
I was looking at getting the 1500 Sport (Canada version) with 3.92 rear, 4x4, etrorque, ram box, large gas tank, power running boards and standard 20' wheels. No sunroof.
What also throws me off is when i am on the build site (Canadian) it shows a max towing of 6280lbs. When I build the Laramie with similar equipment it shows a max towing of 8190lbs
Any thoughts for these numbers and if it works or why the difference in numbers. In the real world I see many 1/2 ton trucks pulling these rigs so either they are all over or I'm missing something.
Thanks in advance
Mike

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1498 is most likely all your payload...in some cases more.

@Davidmurphy02 just ordered a 5th wheel. He has a post here. But his is lightweight.

And yes, alot of the guys you see pulling these are overweight, the trucks will do it, but don't you dare have an accident.

If you can't find the post i will be back on later hopefully. I just got set up for camping thithis weekend.

Canada Mike

Reaction score
Thanks guys
Thats the opinion i was having but they say their 1/2 ton towable lol
I guess i will have to put it off for a year till the new hd are out

Users who are viewing this thread