5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grab a 24 or wait for 25s. Differences.

juicegoose

Reaction score
Up until the day the announcement came out about the new rams having updated engine I was fully committed to buying a 2024 limited with the elite package. I love the patriot blue and the indigo interior.
2025 info comes out and wouldn't ya know it they ax the patriot blue and only offer the indigo/sea salt interior in the Tungsten.
With what we know right now it appears the difference on the books between the 24 and 25 limited is the following.
Engine
Safety system improvements.
updated infotainment system (14" screen & guts)
Updated 10" passenger monitor
limited now come stock with rambox
Color heads up display

Knowing the standard problems that plague the hemi, Lifters and manifolds, and knowing the interior faults (possible leaks). I'm not sure it's not worth buying a 24 like i want. I mean sure the 25 with new more powerfull engine seems nice but I'm not sure i want to be that test mule ya know.

What does everyone think? This is my first new truck in almost 20 years.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
For me not having a V8 is a deal breaker on its own. Sure, there are some issues with the HEMI, but it is a proven engine that we know works. I also tow a TT fairly often and can only imagine the TERRIBLE gas mileage the new engines will get when towing. I am not interested in the HUD, passenger screen, rambox, or the larger radio screen. Had they changed the orientation of the screen, so you could use the entire screen on a way that makes sense, maybe that would interest me. All of that to say, V8 or nothing for a truck IMO!

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I think you hit all the points right on. I ordered a 24 Limited principally because i wanted a Hemi before that choice was taken from me. The problems with the hemi are all known and its the devil you know ! For that matter, by now all issues with Gen5s are known. There is so much tech in these new vehicles, i feel like after 4-5 years of incremental changes, most every issue is known. Thanks to the internet, informed buyers are not blind anymore.
I also really wanted the elite interior and it looks best against the Patriot blue in my opinion.
Im really glad i didnt wait !

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I'm already driving a 19 Limited so other than lower miles and a HUD, there's no reason to get a 24 since there was no significant improvement or changes made. So if I had to get another vehicle, which I don't, it would have to be a 25 at the very minimum to be worth it.

I've owned and driven every driveline Dodge/Ram has offered since 91 and all have their merits. At one time I swore the V10 was the only option for gas but the modern Hemi destroys it in both power and mileage. The numbers suggest the new I6 will do the same to the Hemi but many will not be able to get past the exhaust note. Personally I like my vehicles quiet so losing the V8 rumble isn't as big of a deal for me as long as the power is there when I push the skinny pedal. I do love the sound of a throaty V8 exhaust but after driving Cummins and V-10's for the better part of a decade, you begin to value other aspects of the truck over the sound it makes.

Everyone said to stay away from the "All New" 2019 when it first released but the only issues I've had were the cracked passenger side manifold and a dead battery at the 3yr mark. Both solved for under $400 total and a couple hours of my labor. Not bad for 106,000 miles of driving pleasure. Seems every day there is another thread started talking about issues with the 2023 and now 2024 models so that the old addage of them working the kinks out seems to be going backwards now.

Last edited:

barrak

Reaction score
I had my fair share of jumping on first year models: 2007 Audi Q7, 2007 Lexus LS, 2011 Honda Odyssey, 2015 Subaru Outback, and 2015 Toyota Sienna. Still have the last 4 in the family. Each one of them had its own "test mule" issues (three of them had engine or transmission replacement or rebuild) and all these issues were addressed by warrantees.

If your heart is set on the '25 RAM 1500 then go for it, with one caveat (being a 1st year model): Get the longest extended warranty available. Expect issues will come up, and when they do, deal with them calmly and methodically.

juicegoose

Reaction score
I actually prefer the 2024 limited elite. just not sure if it's worth waiting and going for the 25. At the end of the day the big feature i want is color and interior and the 24 has it. i would have to go tungsten otherwise.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I prefer the V8 and as mentioned it's the devil you know. There are plenty of Hemis with lots of trouble free miles.

Already hearing rumors of unhappy Jeep Hurricane owners.

I tried to avoid first year of anything major.

cliffsta

Reaction score
The three new vehicles I've bought, I always got the "end" of a generation, with the knowledge a new or refreshed model was coming soon. I like to think that after 3-5 years of production, the bugs and kinks would be worked out.

As for the Hemi, it may not be perfect, but the issues are known, and many people don't have them. We don't know what issues that inline 6 are gonna have. And the Hemi does sound so good :)

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I actually prefer the 2024 limited elite. just not sure if it's worth waiting and going for the 25. At the end of the day the big feature i want is color and interior and the 24 has it. i would have to go tungsten otherwise.
No seeing much in the way of pricing yet, but the 24 limited elite is already ridiculous. Gotta believe a 25 Tungsten, the way youd want it, is closing in on 6 figures ?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm already driving a 19 Limited so other than lower miles and a HUD, there's no reason to get a 24 since there was no significant improvement or changes made. So if I had to get another vehicle, which I don't, it would have to be a 25 at the very minimum to be worth it.

I've owned and driven every driveline Dodge/Ram has offered since 91 and all have their merits. At one time I swore the V10 was the only option for gas but the modern Hemi destroys it in both power and mileage. The numbers suggest the new I6 will do the same to the Hemi but many will not be able to get past the exhaust note. Personally I like my vehicles quiet so losing the V8 rumble isn't as big of a deal for me as long as the power is there when I push the skinny pedal. I do love the sound of a throaty V8 exhaust but after driving Cummins and V-10's for the better part of a decade, you begin to value other aspects of the truck over the sound it makes.

Everyone said to stay away from the "All New" 2019 when it first released but the only issues I've had were the cracked passenger side manifold and a dead battery at the 3yr mark. Both solved for under $400 total and a couple hours of my labor. Not bad for 106,000 miles of driving pleasure. Seems every day there is another thread started talking about issues with the 2023 and now 2024 models so that the old addage of them working the kinks out seems to be going backwards now.

100%. I see no value in going from my 2020 limited to anything other than an updated 2025-27. As for the 6 cylinder exhaust, I too like the quiet of the truck so as long as I can't hear it, I don't care. I had a 23 ecoboost explorer last month while in houston, the exhaust note on it didn't bother me a bit nor did I really even hear it but that acceleration was great.

I have a Z06 with a built LS and 3" full exhaust in it, I can only take that cars exhaust noise in small doses' and if I'd ever long for the rumble of a V8, its right here.

2027-8 H.O. Tungsten for me when the time comes; I have a 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty on the 2020 so it isn't going anywhere until July 2027 at a minimum

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No seeing much in the way of pricing yet, but the 24 limited elite is already ridiculous. Gotta believe a 25 Tungsten, the way youd want it, is closing in on 6 figures ?
Pricing is already out. Not 6 figures, but the most expensive non-TRX 1500 so far. I think depending on the packages you are at 90k.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
May have to special order that one. Dealer search only shows 9 trucks nationwide with that interior/exterior color combination and they are all 23 models.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2019 has been flawless, the best new vehicle purchase experience so far, and I've owned lots of different makes, many premium or known for reliability, so that's saying something. I'm not scared about buying a change or refresh year, even my at the time all new 2015 F150 was trouble free.

The 2025 is a mid-cycle refresh, most of the outside changes are cosmetic and bolt-on. You can convert any 2019 to 2025 with just headlights, grill and bumper changes, zero metalwork.

The interior is almost the same thing, with a slightly larger center screen and optional passenger screen, but all likely bolt on upgrades.

The mechanical is where the changes are, and pretty big. The Hemi issues is well known, but not as widespread as people on forums like to think. An all new I6 with twin turbos is far likely to give you issues than the dinosaur 5.7L will. Sure it makes a bit more power, but it actually has similar mpg (likely lower real world) and less payload and towing capacity than the 5.7L.

juicegoose

Reaction score
How do i a nationwide dealer search? I would love to know who has one.

barrak

Reaction score
Mopar model build site works, after you spec, you can do a search on dealers, just increase the search radius.
Added advantage is you get on RAM's radar, and eventually get a nice coupon that is usable online or at any dealer. I think I got $1,500 this way last spring, in time to use it for my '23 Longhorn.

Users who are viewing this thread