5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grab a 24 or wait for 25s. Differences.

dcchris311

Reaction score
I was on the same situation as you, buy a 24 or order a 25. So, I ordered a 25' Tungsten with a couple of packages that totaled ~$94k before the MD deal. Reason being is that I make aftermarket parts and getting the 25MY will expose me to the 3.0L SST market early. Plus, I like all the technology upgrades that it comes with. I don't like the fact that it comes with the Ram boxes standard, I'm just not a fan of them whatsoever.

barrak

Reaction score
how you get the coupon?
I did a few builds on ramtruck using my email address, and requested a couple of email quotes from local dealers. In time, you get a bunch of email ads from RAM, and buried between them a coded coupon specific to you... easy to miss or dismiss.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I got two of those $1500TDMs both with a dealer heading. One in November and another one in December. After building a truck on the site, Id contacted both dealers with inquiries that put me in their system, so that must be the magic step.
Note that you can only use one of them per purchase transaction, and even though they have a 30 day expiration, an order locks it in.

juicegoose

Reaction score
looks like a few out there. Some with 3.92 and some with 3.21 gears. hahah also saw some without 4 wheel drive. Not sure how i feel about only going back to 2wd. I don't tow or anything but occasionally go duck hunting etc.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I don't like the fact that it comes with the Ram boxes standard, I'm just not a fan of them whatsoever.

Same here, and I didn't see an option to delete it from the build. Ramboxes on a limited is a deal breaker for me. Make them standard on a WT but they make zero sense on a luxury model. I sorta feel the same way for the MFT but I'm going to let that one slide because while I don't care for it, I bet I end up using it far more than I would have ever suspected.

juicegoose

Reaction score
As a guy with a truck that has a tailgate that opens sideways and down i can promise you'll use that MFT tailgate more then you think. I've always been big on the ramboxes but when we travel i appreciate the extra storage. I would be putting a hard cover over the bed as well.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I have a bedslide in my current truck so I always drop the tailgate and pull out the slide to access most things. I'd be curious if the MFT improved access enough that I would ever consider parting with the bedslide.?.?.? There's been many times I could have used another couple inches under the bed cover that the slide takes up.

juicegoose

Reaction score
I know on my truck if I open the tailgate sideways i can walk up to the bumper and almost reach the back of the cab. This is a honda ridgeline so slightly smaller bed but still it has been crazy handy.

juicegoose

Reaction score
What would you guys think about 3.92 vs 3.21 gears.
I live on flat land(Houston) and don't tow anything. but I do drive oh probably 85 or so on the highway going to inlaws etc.

My understanding is you gain low end grunt but also have the engine rev higher at higher speeds
mpg change is negligable.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I say I'd be happy with either but I haven't driven one with the 3.21's to know if I actually would be. I do love the grunt off the line with the 3.92's but I also spend so much time at highways speeds that I have to wonder if my mileage could be better. If MPG was truly the same, then it would be the 3.92's all the way.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Second tank was an anomaly. The other three tanks are mostly interstate at 74MPH.

16.1 was a combination of I16 and I95 at 79MPH. The 16.6 and 17.3’s were on 441 with the cruise set at 74MPH.

0ea266135368041842bb861c2cd593dd.png

Last edited:

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 19 w/3.21 I average 13-16, mostly city and 80+ every morning to work about 25/30 minute drive. I also have 78K miles.

juicegoose

Reaction score
from what I'm reading i don't think the 3.21's get that much better. Maybe 1-2 and that is all subjective to how you drive. At least that is what I'm seeing

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
from what I'm reading i don't think the 3.21's get that much better. Maybe 1-2 and that is all subjective to how you drive. At least that is what I'm seeing
It seems to be a fairly big difference, would say up to 3 mpg depending on your speed. When I go 85 my engine is roaring like crazy, happy but thirsty. With 3.21s I would expect a bit lower RPMs as it essentially has an extra gear that the 3.92 doesn't at those higher speeds and less fuel usage at those speeds but not sure the exact amount.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I drive dallas to houston to beaumont about 5 times a year, with 3.21's I consistently average 21 mpg at 74 mph and 22 mpg at 72 mph. I've measured this many times on driving this route.
I can drive from Frisco (North Dallas) to Houston (The Woodlands) get on the hardy to I10 and drive straight to Beaumont, then back to Bayton stopping at Bucees to refuel on one tank, 430ish miles and still have 1/8 tank at Bucees or about 3.x gallons. 20 gallons to refuel

Fuel mileage increases quite a bit around Conroe all the way to beaumont, likely Houston's better DA near sea level

20210816_085549.jpg

This was on the Hardy near the woodlands, 294 miles in

Attachments

• 20210816_085358.jpg
    20210816_085358.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210816_085246.jpg
    20210816_085246.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I drive dallas to houston to beaumont about 5 times a year, with 3.21's I consistently average 21 mpg at 74 mph and 22 mpg at 72 mph. I've measured this many times on driving this route.
I can drive from Frisco (North Dallas) to Houston (The Woodlands) get on the hardy to I10 and drive straight to Beaumont, then back to Bayton stopping at Bucees to refuel on one tank, 430ish miles and still have 1/8 tank at Bucees or about 3.x gallons. 20 gallons to refuel

Fuel mileage increases quite a bit around Conroe all the way to beaumont, likely Houston's better DA near sea level

View attachment 173053
Yeah, there’s no way I’ll ever see those numbers, even at 55.

If I recall correctly, the gear ratios work out such that my 8th gear (with 3.92) is exactly the same as your 7th (with 3.21). You effectively have another overdrive gear, and that makes quite a difference.

BowDown

Reaction score
What would you guys think about 3.92 vs 3.21 gears.
I live on flat land(Houston) and don't tow anything. but I do drive oh probably 85 or so on the highway going to inlaws etc.

My understanding is you gain low end grunt but also have the engine rev higher at higher speeds
mpg change is negligable.

You'll get good mileage in Houston with 3.21's however the mileage difference between the two gears sets at highway speeds is more than negligible, at hiway (~70mph) speeds, 3.92's are 2K rpm while 3.21 is around 16-1700. I had a 3.92 truck once, never going back, When I move to a Tungsten, I'll still go with 3.21, possible the mid gear but not the 3.92 and with 540tq, I'll probably stay with the 3.21

juicegoose

Reaction score
I mean the struggle is the majority of my time is spent driving from work to home and around town. That is mainly 0-60 miles an hour with a fair amount of stopping. Next year our office is moving up to I-10 so I imagine much more stop and go traffic.
Other then that we take trips every other month or so to Lafayette so i would see more of the highway mileage then.

Would the mpg be negligible at the lower speeds actually the same or better if going with the 3.92s for the lower side?

BowDown

Reaction score
I mean the struggle is the majority of my time is spent driving from work to home and around town. That is mainly 0-60 miles an hour with a fair amount of stopping. Next year our office is moving up to I-10 so I imagine much more stop and go traffic.
Other then that we take trips every other month or so to Lafayette so i would see more of the highway mileage then.

Would the mpg be negligible at the lower speeds actually the same or better if going with the 3.92s for the lower side?

Common sense would suggest that the 3.92 would be better around town but I regularly see 3.92 guys complaining about that as well. I get 17 mixed between city and rush hour driving in Dallas.
Like I said though, DA seems good in houston so 3.92's make work ok and not be as bad there as they are everywhere else, I'd check with some fellow houston 3.92 peeps and see how they fare. I10 blows, they need to finish that construction already

Users who are viewing this thread