5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grab a 24 or wait for 25s. Differences.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, there’s no way I’ll ever see those numbers, even at 55.

If I recall correctly, the gear ratios work out such that my 8th gear (with 3.92) is exactly the same as your 7th (with 3.21). You effectively have another overdrive gear, and that makes quite a difference.

Pretty much exactly that. I tried locking out 8th to get a taste of what 3.92 people feel on the highway. Eff that, easy ~400 rpm difference. Watched my mpg plummet

juicegoose

Reaction score
I would imagine with the 2 wheel drive your saving some gas as well. Less weight overall. Hows that indigo interior holding up.?

dcchris311

Reaction score
I didn't see an option for a different axle ratio for the Tungsten. I believe there only available with 3.92

juicegoose

Reaction score
So all things being equal other then the truck having
3.92 gears and ant slip rear or 3.21 and no anti slip(both 4x4) I'm really leaning more towards the 3.21. I just don't do any towing. I think the anti slip is mute point with the 4x4 as well but maybe i'm off base.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean the struggle is the majority of my time is spent driving from work to home and around town. That is mainly 0-60 miles an hour with a fair amount of stopping. Next year our office is moving up to I-10 so I imagine much more stop and go traffic.
Other then that we take trips every other month or so to Lafayette so i would see more of the highway mileage then.

Would the mpg be negligible at the lower speeds actually the same or better if going with the 3.92s for the lower side?
In theory at lower speeds it shouldn't matter if it's 3.21s or 3.92s as your RPMs should match whatever your truck needs. At higher speeds the 3.92s just run out of gearing. Think like a bicycle on a 10 vs 21 speed. At higher speeds the 10 needs to work way harder to get the same amount of movement then the 21 speed would but at lower it should be around the same.
I get terrible city millage, but city is always going to be bad on a heavy vehicle. Lucky to get 17 mpg on the highway with the 3.92s dancing.

BowDown

Reaction score
I would imagine with the 2 wheel drive your saving some gas as well. Less weight overall. Hows that indigo interior holding up.?

Likely but 400 less rpm is still 400 less rpm and equates to lower fuel burn.
No complaints, I still love the indigo/frost and it's wear normally. No denim color rub off or any other colors for that matter.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I didn't see an option for a different axle ratio for the Tungsten. I believe there only available with 3.92

I thought I read all 3 gears were options however, using the I6 HO engine, you don't need an excessive gear like the 3.92, the same reason the TRX doesn't use it so I find it difficult to believe they would have locked you into a 3.92

3.92 gear is to compensate for poor torque performance, a high torque engine needs less gear or put another way, a high torque engine is going to blow through a 3.92 gear making that engines power effectively useless. You'd just spin the tires everywhere you went.

BowDown

Reaction score
So all things being equal other then the truck having
3.92 gears and ant slip rear or 3.21 and no anti slip(both 4x4) I'm really leaning more towards the 3.21. I just don't do any towing. I think the anti slip is mute point with the 4x4 as well but maybe i'm off base.

I've towed my 9k with my 3.21s just fine. The trucks overall performance towing that weight, I didn't care for. 5500 lb trailer and 3k car on it. Truck accelerated fine, braking was fine but I believe it's was a lot of weight for a 1500 chassis.
Don't let infrequent towing be a concern with the 3.21

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll be fine with either rear end. The end of the year is upon us, start working a deal on one of those trucks!

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
There's been many times I could have used another couple inches
Story of my life :LOL:

To the OP; if you like getting out of the hole faster, get the 3.92's. If you want slightly better economy, get the 3.21's.

dcchris311

Reaction score
I thought I read all 3 gears were options however, using the I6 HO engine, you don't need an excessive gear like the 3.92, the same reason the TRX doesn't use it so I find it difficult to believe they would have locked you into a 3.92

3.92 gear is to compensate for poor torque performance, a high torque engine needs less gear or put another way, a high torque engine is going to blow through a 3.92 gear making that engines power effectively useless. You'd just spin the tires everywhere you went.

I looked at the Tungsten PDF and it doesn't show an option for the other 2 rear ends. Not sure why they only offer it in 3.92 but I would've preferred a 3.55 gear set. It'll even out since I switch over to 35s though.

Attachments

• Tungsten.pdf
    29.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I looked at the Tungsten PDF and it doesn't show an option for the other 2 rear ends. Not sure why they only offer it in 3.92 but I would've preferred a 3.55 gear set. It'll even out since I switch over to 35s though.

Hmmm, looks like 4x4 is std as well. I'm out on the tungsten and if ramboxes are std on the limited, I'm out on that too.

dcchris311

Reaction score
Hmmm, looks like 4x4 is std as well. I'm out on the tungsten and if ramboxes are std on the limited, I'm out on that too.
Looks like the Ram box in standard on the Limiteds now. They also come with 3.92s. Looks lime the Standard Output has the other rearend gearing while the High Output models come with 3.92 standard. I wonder what their reasoning behind that is. Any ideas?

Attachments

• lar-LH-Lim.pdf
    141.4 KB · Views: 7

76rich

Reaction score
I have had 7 trucks with the "Hemi" and 5 Challengers with the "Hemi" and I have never had one bit of trouble with any of them. I have had 3:21 and 3:92 and maybe the 3:92 is better off the line when pulling a trailer but a 3:21 will pull just as well. I ordered a 2024 at about the latest date that was possible. I couldn't decide to get one now or wait. I had a 2019 and a 2021 and now a 2024. They have all been loaded Limiteds ordered about the same in every way. I love the Rams, but I'm just not sure of this new six and I knew it was going to be a lot more money. The 2024 listed $10,000 more than the 2021, crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread