5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS routing is terrible

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have tried using voice navigation and the system clarifies back, "Did you say 123 Main Street, Abu Dhabi?" When I actually asked for navigation to something like Juanto Street, Altamonte Springs! I may be originally from NJ, but I grew up in the western side, so I don't have that NY accent. Oh well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In general, car nav systems that don't use a Google map database are always horrible. BMW is one exception because it does not use a native routing system.

When I bought my 22 Big Horn with U-Connect 12 (I didn't order it), I was under the impression that system uses Tom-Tom for routing. Has the RAM Nav system changed since the introduction of the 5th generation truck? In other words, should I have an expectation that my truck will also be horrible?
Yes, the 22s with Uconnect 5 use TomTom, but it's still garbage with outdated maps compared to Waze or Google Maps.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a nav system that tells me exactly how fast to drive, so I catch all the green lights.
Will never happen as most intersections are now in sensors that detect traffic, and are not just in timers.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
In general, car nav systems that don't use a Google map database are always horrible. BMW is one exception because it does not use a native routing system.

When I bought my 22 Big Horn with U-Connect 12 (I didn't order it), I was under the impression that system uses Tom-Tom for routing. Has the RAM Nav system changed since the introduction of the 5th generation truck? In other words, should I have an expectation that my truck will also be horrible?
I believe they use the same Tom Tom in the 22 uconnect5 system as they do in the 21 and older uconnect4 system. From reading on a couple of different forums it seems uconnect5 has it's own set of glitches different from uconnect4.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Will never happen as most intersections are now in sensors that detect traffic, and are not just in timers.
That's true, but it actually causes an unintentional syncing up of the lights due to regular traffic clustering coming from other intersections. Many roadways, even major ones, are dead-empty most of the time, followed by dense clusters of traffic moving from light to light.

I have a 10-mile highway commute, but at each end, I have about 5-miles of local traffic and lights. I found that the lights are very predictable, even on zig-zag routes, because traffic patterns cause a 1:1 or 2:1 sync at other intersections. I tend to adjust my speed between certain lights because I know which ones are going to change and when. If I catch a red light, straight off the highway, I'll usually sync back into the same pattern as the day before.

Honestly, I just wish traffic lights were smarter and could track traffic better. It's very possible to manipulate traffic clusters in order to keep them moving in a group while also utilizing the dead space for cross streets to safely go. traffic light control clustering - Google Search

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's true, but it actually causes an unintentional syncing up of the lights due to regular traffic clustering coming from other intersections. Many roadways, even major ones, are dead-empty most of the time, followed by dense clusters of traffic moving from light to light.

I have a 10-mile highway commute, but at each end, I have about 5-miles of local traffic and lights. I found that the lights are very predictable, even on zig-zag routes, because traffic patterns cause a 1:1 or 2:1 sync at other intersections. I tend to adjust my speed between certain lights because I know which ones are going to change and when. If I catch a red light, straight off the highway, I'll usually sync back into the same pattern as the day before.

Honestly, I just wish traffic lights were smarter and could track traffic better. It's very possible to manipulate traffic clusters in order to keep them moving in a group while also utilizing the dead space for cross streets to safely go. traffic light control clustering - Google Search
Im usually pretty good at timing lights, especially on my morninf commute as I travel before normal morning traffic. Problem comes from the random car that comes from a side street, usually turning right. They get to intersection, sensors sense cross traffic, while I am still just outside of the sensor range for my direction. Light starts to change, but since they are making a right hand turn, they don't wait for light. My light changes to red forcing me to stop when there isn't even cross traffic anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread