5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS routing is terrible

Glenn54

Reaction score
Overall, I love my 2019 Ram Laramie. But the GPS sucks. I have the 8 inch version. I have an offer to update Uconnect for $50 off. I have selected go to addresses and ended up down a tiny dirt road with a gate blocking the road. I get some crazy route choices too often when I'm using the GPS. Is it a setting that I have set wrong? Would this new update possibly help? Thanks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Overall, I love my 2019 Ram Laramie. But the GPS sucks. I have the 8 inch version. I have an offer to update Uconnect for $50 off. I have selected go to addresses and ended up down a tiny dirt road with a gate blocking the road. I get some crazy route choices too often when I'm using the GPS. Is it a setting that I have set wrong? Would this new update possibly help? Thanks.
No, the update won't help. Best bet Is to just plug your phone in and use Google maps from the phone

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The uconnect nav is absolutely horrible. I used maybe 5 times in the 11 months I owned the truck and only once did it bring me to the actual location I wanted to be at and it was only because it was in a major city. I got the "update" email a month or so ago but in my research I decided it is not worth the money to me so I will stick with google maps and I hate google.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All else fails break out the paper maps. 😆

Funny thing is I’m betting most people can’t even read them anymore.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's the #1 reason I have north set to up on my nav screens. The rotating map makes you lazy and paper map illiterate.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
Yeah, 100% use Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps. It's more reliable but it's just nice when everything integrates with your phone as well.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I tried the turn-by-turn navigation in my truck a few months ago and it was pretty bad. I've had similar experiences using Google maps, but Google is a little better. I very rarely need/use turn-by-turn navigation, so it's not a big deal to me. The moving map in my truck has saved me a lot of time, from avoiding accidents to getting around traffic jams due to construction. I seriously don't understand why anyone would use north up...it shouldn't even be a selectable option.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
. I seriously don't understand why anyone would use north up...it shouldn't even be a selectable option.

Because reading a map isn't like reading a noody magazine. Fixed North means you call out cardinal directions for turns instead of left/right or steering wheel/glove box for the more challenged navi-guessers.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Because reading a map isn't like reading a noody magazine. Fixed North means you call out cardinal directions for turns instead of left/right or steering wheel/glove box for the more challenged navi-guessers.
Good thing you're not a pilot. 😂

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good thing you're not a pilot. 😂
Learned map reading from a retired SeaBee.
He almost knocked me out of the truck when I turned the map upside down because we were driving south.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Learned map reading from a retired SeaBee.
He almost knocked me out of the truck when I turned the map upside down because we were driving south.
We've been doing like that for 100 years is not a valid argument for using north up.

TittoPollito

Reaction score

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Funny story about 3 months ago me and the kid (44&15 respectively) were coming home from a motorcycle race and my phone died. So I busted out the paper map to have my kid give me directions...about 45 minutes later after explaining how to use a map and drawing a line to help him I realized two things. 1. All those years my dad made me use the Thomas Guide to get us around L.A even though he knew how to get there really helped and 2. I have done a great disservice to my kid by not teaching how to use a map yet.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I work in the industry and I've been a little confused about UConnect4's ETA and Routing. I've done some benchmarking with a Garmin standalone, TomTom, .Apple Maps and Google Maps and UConnect 4 and connect, on a 1000 mile trip will always have an ETA that's 1 hour more than every other company. All other options, like UConnect 4 have live traffic. I pay for SiriusXM Guardian and live traffic services so the UConnect should have a close time. When I let UConnect do it's thing on a drive from NH to TN or FL, it rarely avoids traffic and I've looked through the settings. After 20K miles of road trips in the first year with multiple maps going at once, I've decided to stop using the built in navigation system. It's inaccurate and the slowest of the bunch. Costing me an hour of driving because it refuses to take me on side-roads is frustrating.

I do LOVE the built in Gas Prices through Sirius though. that's helped me save $5-$8 filling up the 33 gallon tank when I'm on a road trip.

ramblin84

Reaction score
In general, car nav systems that don't use a Google map database are always horrible. BMW is one exception because it does not use a native routing system.

When I bought my 22 Big Horn with U-Connect 12 (I didn't order it), I was under the impression that system uses Tom-Tom for routing. Has the RAM Nav system changed since the introduction of the 5th generation truck? In other words, should I have an expectation that my truck will also be horrible?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread