5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go Rhino 2.0 w/ Power Actuator (Lights FINALLY INSTALLED!)

lukesteeler89

Reaction score
You may want to consider this an an option:

Yea, I looked into other switches, but the one you showed is not wireless. The goal was to not have to deal with going through the Firewall.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea, I looked into other switches, but the one you showed is not wireless. The goal was to not have to deal with going through the Firewall.
Going through the firewall is childs play...the grommet is right there and so easy to access. Anytime you go wireless in a vehicle, you're asking for reliability issues IMPO. Now if running a wire was a major PITA, I could understand. But running wires in these trucks is super easy!

lukesteeler89

Reaction score
Going through the firewall is childs play...the grommet is right there and so easy to access. Anytime you go wireless in a vehicle, you're asking for reliability issues IMPO. Now if running a wire was a major PITA, I could understand. But running wires in these trucks is super easy!
Ironically... you are right on both fronts. I bought the lights and the wireless set-up, and then realized that I had to run through the firewall anyway for the switch for the Power Actuator on the Sports Bar; which was 100% "childs play". But the goal was the same, wireless. And yup, having the lighting control system on an APP on my phone has been a small PITA.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ironically... you are right on both fronts. I bought the lights and the wireless set-up, and then realized that I had to run through the firewall anyway for the switch for the Power Actuator on the Sports Bar; which was 100% "childs play". But the goal was the same, wireless. And yup, having the lighting control system on an APP on my phone has been a small PITA.
I thought you did a great job with the video and install...if I had the time and the desire to light up a football field, I might play with that as well ;)

Husky_max

Reaction score
The hardest part was figuring out the process. The bed "rail" is pretty much 1.5" - 2" of plastic rail and then less than 1/4" of metal, pretty much a thin piece of sheet metal under that. It was hard to drill through the plastic with the Rivet Nuts they provided. After a beer, trial and error, beer, trial and error, beer, beer - we figured the easiest way was to cut a square in the plastic rail and drill straight into the metal rail. Then you ratchet in the bolt and hope to god the rivet nut doesn't pop and holds; just to find out it wont. So we said fu@k it and just used the good ol' fashion: bolt, lock washer, washer -- washer , lock nut. Also, keeping the d@mn rack straight on the rail while trying not cry while drilling through your brand new truck was tough... See, talking about it is bringing up my PTSD!! The lights were easier, just very time consuming.

Overall, I saved a lot of money doing it myself. I just underestimated how hard it was to install, I had the similar mindset - "it's just some drilling - no bid deal...."
Really appreciate your sharing. Since i am so lacking experience. Probably need to save another couple hundreds for a professional.

lukesteeler89

Reaction score
Really appreciate your sharing. Since i am so lacking experience. Probably need to save another couple hundreds for a professional.

Don't doubt yourself! I've installed a bunch of stuff in the past but this was the most difficult. I was lucky and had a friend who had the tools and materials capable to install it in one night, but if I didn't... it would have been multiple trips to Lowe's/Home Depot to get what I needed. You will definitely need 2 people to install this, but it can be done... and once you hear the quote a shop gives you; you will definitely get a vote of confidence to do it yourself. (I did. LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread