5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen 3 ecodiesel oil filter

concorde

Reaction score
I am just going thru this thread. I bought my new Ram Ecodiesel truck brand new in February and coming up on an oil change in probably in 3-4 months. I called the dealer they wanted $130 for the filter (cough cough GFY) and $387 for a complete oil change (WTF). My last car was a BMW 750i and I bought German made oil filters online for like $15 each. Anyway, I am not paying $130 for an oil filter so want to order something and it looks like aftermarket still isn't out there.

My question is can I buy a Gen 2 cap and filter and use that? It appears the Gen 3 filter and cap are one unit which is why its so expensive. Need to look at cheaper alternates because it even appears the Gen 3 oil filter units are made in China and I don't want that garbage, I might as well buy Fram haha. Anyone figure an alternate out? Thanks in advance

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am just going thru this thread. I bought my new Ram Ecodiesel truck brand new in February and coming up on an oil change in probably in 3-4 months. I called the dealer they wanted $130 for the filter (cough cough GFY) and $387 for a complete oil change (WTF). My last car was a BMW 750i and I bought German made oil filters online for like $15 each. Anyway, I am not paying $130 for an oil filter so want to order something and it looks like aftermarket still isn't out there.

My question is can I buy a Gen 2 cap and filter and use that? It appears the Gen 3 filter and cap are one unit which is why its so expensive. Need to look at cheaper alternates because it even appears the Gen 3 oil filter units are made in China and I don't want that garbage, I might as well buy Fram haha. Anyone figure an alternate out? Thanks in advance
No you can't do that.

Buy the OEM filter from diesel filters online or through Rock auto. Dealer prices are nuts. I'm running a docs filter in mine and it appeared to be very good quality.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread