5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen 3 ecodiesel oil filter

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After the long 3200km trip this weekend I decided it would be a good time to do my trucks first oil change. I was unsure about the oil filter as there isn’t much information available out there yet.

With zero aftermarket filters available I made the trip to the parts desk at my local dealer, they didn’t have any filters in stock but another dealer about 20 minutes away had one, but it wasn’t cheap. $125 Canadian plus taxes for a total of $140.12. OUCH!

now on the new filter it has “DO NOT REMOVE” stamped on the cartridge filter. The original filter that came out of the truck has instructions stamped in the cartridge filter on how to remove it from the filter cap...

Im sure it’s a supply issue at the moment but in the future I would expect mopar to have just the cartridge available and many aftermarket filters will be available aswell for much much less.

Also the filter that says “DO NOT REMOVE” is installed in the same housing as the original filter and can be removed by pulling and twisting it clockwise. Part numbers on the cap are the same, and the filter part numbers are different.

Gen 2 oil filters will NOT fit in the new style cap but I have read somewhere that you can use the Gen 2 cap and filter together on the new Gen 3 without any issues.

The dealer recommended I use Rotella T6 so that’s what I installed.

Attachments

• 9070E725-8635-4C10-B4D7-E84E0430B15D.jpeg
    9070E725-8635-4C10-B4D7-E84E0430B15D.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 0F715A17-D2DB-41F1-9952-D65AB3AE279D.jpeg
    0F715A17-D2DB-41F1-9952-D65AB3AE279D.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 24456CEE-DE1D-4822-901F-2B0BA4F1DF6C.jpeg
    24456CEE-DE1D-4822-901F-2B0BA4F1DF6C.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 82

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
From the other thread,

Now the above post was in 3L Ram Ecodiesel forum/section - but the link takes to Jeep part. Since the motor is the same, I would imagine filters would be identical too.... But the part number handwritten in OPs image is certainly different than whats in the thread/post above.

hhmmmmm.......

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I attached more pictures of the filter that came installed at the factory. Unfortunately I did not get pictures of the other one before installing, but the part number was different and there weren’t any directions on how to remove it.

The two filters were nearly identical except the new mopar filter had 4 feet that hold it into the cap while the stock factory one has 2.

The caps were identical, even the same part numbers.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
From the other thread,

Now the above post was in 3L Ram Ecodiesel forum/section - but the link takes to Jeep part. Since the motor is the same, I would imagine filters would be identical too.... But the part number handwritten in OPs image is certainly different than whats in the thread/post above.

hhmmmmm.......

NVM the link actually says RAM 1500 filter - interesting that the filter in OPs initial post has different part number than the part number in the other thread.

1JK

Reaction score
This whole ED oil filter thing is absurd. Who puts out a product like this that uses an oil filter that is virtually not available months after model production is released, and when it is, only at price gauging levels. RAM could have easily used existing oil filters that were available and still profitable (as they are all overpriced). Ive been waiting two months. This is has been the most disappointing part of my 2020 LTD experience.
Done with my rant, I'll drive the Ford for a while. I can get basic maint. parts.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not just filters that are in short supply, lots of people waiting for parts for warranty work for 2019 and 2020 models. Ram needs to slow down production a bit and take care of existing customers first.

HST

Reaction score
You can get oil filters on line check allmoparparts.com , genosgarage.com , dieselfiltersonline.com there are many more .

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered mine from dieselfiltersonline.com and about a week later they responded saying they don't have any but can ship me one whenever they get them. Since I'm at 1,400 miles I've got some time. I'll wait and see how long this takes.

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
I placed an order on 3/6 and still no movement on my order. Reached out to them and they said the filters are back ordered from Mopar with no projected fulfillment date.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This whole ED oil filter thing is absurd. Who puts out a product like this that uses an oil filter that is virtually not available months after model production is released, and when it is, only at price gauging levels. RAM could have easily used existing oil filters that were available and still profitable (as they are all overpriced). Ive been waiting two months. This is has been the most disappointing part of my 2020 LTD experience.
Done with my rant, I'll drive the Ford for a while. I can get basic maint. parts.

It is absurd. FCA's supply chain was a joke before the pandemic, and now it's non-existant. That's my only complaint with my truck so far: the cost and difficulty of getting BASIC parts for it.

I put in an order for an oil filter with 1,000 miles on the odometer hoping that by the time I get to 5,000 in May I'll have my parts. Thanks to this forum I saw this coming.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I contacted dieselfiltersonline, they are on back order and have no idea when they will come in.

1JK

Reaction score
yes, I orderd some from dieselfiltersonline too. over 3 weeks ago - nothing.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
My dealer found 1 filter at one of their other lots and shipped it to me. they are being told first of may before they get current order fulfilled.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
they have 12 of them for the jeep ecodiesel. if it wasnt for the fact they are $90 bucks i would buy one to see if there is any difference other than part #

The_Dude

Reaction score
So why can't we just buy the cartrage itself and don't include the damn cap. My Alfa Romeo is the same way and it makes the filter insanely expensive. I had a Hyundai Genesis and had the same type of filter and I only bought the cartrage for $7; it came with a new crush washer and o-ring for the filter cap in which I always reused.

1JK

Reaction score
It makes no sense for FCA to have their customers getting so irritated over a basic maintenance parts, like an oil filter, and for a first time - switch to RAM - owner, I don't appreciate their truck sitting in my garage, waiting for an oil filter, while I pay them each month and have to drive something else. All around bad business.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
All this will come back to haunt them - IF/When they deny people Warranty Claims - because if you cant provide oil filters or your recommended Engine Oil is very difficult to find, you cant fault consumer who paid for a truck with MSRP of $73000.

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Does @RamCares have an update or guidance on this issue? Seems like a lot of us, including myself, have a brand new truck sitting because we can't get our hands on a oil filter.

Users who are viewing this thread