5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas tank size

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently not. So I will admit I was wrong. This teaches me to make better use of emphatic statements.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045590 miles.
We're all wrong sometimes, all good.

realralfy

Reaction score
23, 26 or 33 gallon. Check window sticker.
It won’t necessarily say. The 23 gal tank is standard. The 26 gal tank is a no charge upgrade. If it has the 26 gal tank it may not be on the sticker. Mine isn’t, but I verified that it’s 26 tank with the build sheet...

very weird...

Scoot332002

Reaction score
Option will always negate the std feature, a lot of window stickers do that.
The 26 gallon is listed as standard but the 23 gallon is under options. Curious why the 23 would opt out the 26 gallon. I can’t figure out which one I have. I have put 21+ gallons in after fuel light was on a while. Does this mean I have 23?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 26 gallon is listed as standard but the 23 gallon is under options. Curious why the 23 would opt out the 26 gallon. I can’t figure out which one I have. I have put 21+ gallons in after fuel light was on a while. Does this mean I have 23?
Ask your dealer to print you a build sheet to confirm. If your light came on and only took 21, chances are you have a 23. However, with that being said, some say there is a 6 gallon reserve, but I think that’s only for the 33 gallon tank if that’s even accurate. I have the 26 and I’m going to let it get down so my light comes on to see what it will accept.

Last edited:

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your options say you have the 26, you’re supposed to have the 26. Again if it says 23 in standard features list, it doesn’t matter because the option of 26 essentially overrides that.

Scoot332002

Reaction score
It says 26 in the standard side and 23 in the options side. Why would they opt for 23 if 26 is standard?!

Attachments

• AE441EFD-93DF-4AA7-9792-9BD9CBCE669D.png
    AE441EFD-93DF-4AA7-9792-9BD9CBCE669D.png
    230 KB · Views: 11

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It says 26 in the standard side and 23 in the options side. Why would they opt for 23 if 26 is standard?!
I misread the sticker at first, my bad. Yeah so it comes along with that engine, the 23 gallon tank for 2020-2021 models. It was a 26 gallon tank for 2019's.

Ok so standard you have 26 for that trim, cab, bed, drivetrain config. However, because you opted for the eTorque, you unfortunately have the 23 gallon tank. Point is, I believe, you have the 23 gallon tank. So, like I said earlier, options negate std features. Apologies for the confusion earlier.

Edit: Different Configs and Trims may yield different tank sizes with that eTorque Hemi, all I know is, that a '21 in a Big Horn 5'7" Bed Crew Cab 4x4 its 26 std, and its 23 if ya get that engine on top of that config.

bucolic

Reaction score
I'll just chime in a bit. The reason I traded my 2019 Ram for the 2021 was mainly to get the 33-gallon tank. On a cross-country trip towing a camper, the range was only 250 miles. Once you hit 150 miles left you had to start looking for a gas station. ON the month-long trip I spent the most time at gas stations :) I would never own another truck with anything less than a 30-gallon tank.

When I was looking at 2021 Rams I didn't see the tank size listed unless it was an optional upgrade.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie did not list the 23 gallon tank on the window sticker. But from what I've seen, the information on window stickers is inconsistent at best. Which is why I always advise people to look at their build sheet instead.
Inconsistent is the operative word. I think someone else also stated this, but I have seen the same/similar trucks on a dealer's lot with stickers that have components listed in a different order, or sometimes not at all, even when they are on the trucks.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Contrary to what I am reading here, my window sticker does just that View attachment 80933
It may have added it with the Tow Package as Standard Equipment.

I ordered the 33 Gallon with my 2021 Laramie CC Ecodiesel. I am still adding an AUX
Fuel Tank in the Bed with a capacity of 72 Gallons. It is about 75% fabricated right now.
I still have to make Mounting Brackets and finish the Filler Neck Flange. Then it goes
off to a Friend to do all the TIG Welding on it. I purchased a replacement stock filler
neck so that bungs can be welded to it for the Transfer Lines.

Malodave

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It may have added it with the Tow Package as Standard Equipment.

I ordered the 33 Gallon with my 2021 Laramie CC Ecodiesel. I am still adding an AUX
Fuel Tank in the Bed with a capacity of 72 Gallons. It is about 75% fabricated right now.
I still have to make Mounting Brackets and finish the Filler Neck Flange. Then it goes
off to a Friend to do all the TIG Welding on it. I purchased a replacement stock filler
neck so that bungs can be welded to it for the Transfer Lines.

Malodave
Cool project, my neighbor did one for his 3500 diesel. Isn't that going to eat into the already abysmal payload of the RAM 1500?

I'm struggling to carry 4 adults and tow my enclosed trailer with 4 motorcycles/gear in it.. all while keeping it 'legal'. :unsure:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cool project, my neighbor did one for his 3500 diesel. Isn't that going to eat into the already abysmal payload of the RAM 1500?

I'm struggling to carry 4 adults and tow my enclosed trailer with 4 motorcycles/gear in it.. all while keeping it 'legal'. :unsure:
Yep...that will be a ton of added weight! Won't that like add any extra 500#???

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Edit: Different Configs and Trims may yield different tank sizes with that eTorque Hemi, all I know is, that a '21 in a Big Horn 5'7" Bed Crew Cab 4x4 its 26 std, and its 23 if ya get that engine on top of that config.
While it may have been true at one time that the etorque was the trigger for a 23 gallon tank as standard (I'm dubious that it ever was), it is not true for 2021 models. If you go to ramtrucks.com and build out the example you give for a '21 Big Horn, 5'7" bed, CC, 4x4 with any engine choice, you will see options to upgrade to 26 or 33 gallon tanks. Which means the standard tank is 23 gallons. If you build out the same truck, but select either a QC or a CC with the 6'4" bed, you'll only see the option to upgrade to the 33 gallon tank, with no 26 gallon option. Which means the standard tank is 26 gallons. Etorque no longer has anything to do with tank size, if it ever really did.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While it may have been true at one time that the etorque was the trigger for a 23 gallon tank as standard (I'm dubious that it ever was), it is not true for 2021 models. If you go to ramtrucks.com and build out the example you give for a '21 Big Horn, 5'7" bed, CC, 4x4 with any engine choice, you will see options to upgrade to 26 or 33 gallon tanks. Which means the standard tank is 23 gallons. If you build out the same truck, but select either a QC or a CC with the 6'4" bed, you'll only see the option to upgrade to the 33 gallon tank, with no 26 gallon option. Which means the standard tank is 26 gallons. Etorque no longer has anything to do with tank size, if it ever really did.
767CF839-403E-4838-B542-FA29ADF245D4.png
I’m talking about it coming with the engine, look at the bottom of the Picture; not a separate added option.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
During WWII the German's used a machine called ENIGMA for sending messages and confuse the Allies. Enigma might be good title for this subject.

Reviewing my 2019 sales brochure, it states that the 23-gallon fuel tank is "included with 5.7L V8 eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab short box on Tradesman, Big Horn, Rebel and Laramie." (See attachment) This implies to me that 23-gallon tank was standard for those configurations.

For the 26-gallon tank, the list begins with the word "Add," which seems to imply it was an option and in the block next to the entry the letter "O" only appears in the Big Horn column.

The 33-gallon tank says it's "included with 8-foot box models, not available on Regular Cab short box models..." (Of course there wasn't a 8-foot box or Regular Cab in 2019.) "...optional with H1, H2, X1, X2, P1 and P2 Equipment Packages."

My apologies for the poor scan of the brochure, but if you zoom in you can read it. Of course between the time the brochure was sent to the printers and production started things could've changed. Likewise for 2020 and 2021 models.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045590 miles.

Attachments

• img108.jpg
    img108.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 8

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 81030
I’m talking about it coming with the engine, look at the bottom of the Picture; not a separate added option.
Yes, I see that. And I'm talking about actually building trucks with different engine choices and configurations. If you build a QC with the etorque, or a CC long bed with the etorque, the standard tank size is 26 gallons. The etorque doesn't automatically give you a 23 gallon tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online