5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas tank size

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I see that. And I'm talking about actually building trucks with different engine choices and configurations. If you build a QC with the etorque, or a CC long bed with the etorque, the standard tank size is 26 gallons. The etorque doesn't automatically give you a 23 gallon tank.
Edit: Different Configs and Trims may yield different tank sizes with that eTorque Hemi, all I know is, that a '21 in a Big Horn 5'7" Bed Crew Cab 4x4 its 26 std, and its 23 if ya get that engine on top of that config.
Yes, hence why I added the edit immediately after because I knew someone would bring that up. ^^^

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Without counting, I'm guessing the caps were either 23 or 26% Perhaps, if they were 33, this would only be 2 pages. Now if person A had a 23 gallon tank and 3.21 gears and Person B had a 26 gallon tank and 3.92 gears, who would need to stop at the gas station first??? What are the chances they run into Mr fancy pants and his 33 gallon tank filling up at the same time? :)
Ha ha. Who gets more wet, the guy walking in the rain or running in it?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Apparently not. So I will admit I was wrong. This teaches me to make better use of emphatic statements.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045590 miles.
I’m usually wrong so the other times are a pleasant surprise and a hint to buy a lottery ticket...🤔😬

Smashius

Reaction score
A rare exception unless it's a Big Horn thing. Any one else with a BH that has this on their Monroney sticker? Interesting to see indeed.

My Rebel had it....

78H03g9.png

bucolic

Reaction score
Without counting, I'm guessing the caps were either 23 or 26% Perhaps, if they were 33, this would only be 2 pages. Now if person A had a 23 gallon tank and 3.21 gears and Person B had a 26 gallon tank and 3.92 gears, who would need to stop at the gas station first??? What are the chances they run into Mr fancy pants and his 33 gallon tank filling up at the same time? :)
My issue was towing with the 26-gallon tank. I had 250 miles of range or so at 9-10 MPG. I think the mileage while towing will be the same no matter what gears you are running. It was brutal on my cross-country trip having to start looking for a gas station just 150 miles after fill up. On HWY 50 in Utah, I actually had to dump the 5 gallon can of generator gas in the tank when I missed my turn for the station. By the time I noticed I was 60 miles either way to the nearest station with 40 miles of range. The 33-gallon tank will bump me from 250 miles of range to 330 while towing. I can't imagine the 23-gallon tank at 230 miles of range. It not towing probably not that big of a deal.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My issue was towing with the 26-gallon tank. I had 250 miles of range or so at 9-10 MPG. I think the mileage while towing will be the same no matter what gears you are running. It was brutal on my cross-country trip having to start looking for a gas station just 150 miles after fill up. On HWY 50 in Utah, I actually had to dump the 5 gallon can of generator gas in the tank when I missed my turn for the station. By the time I noticed I was 60 miles either way to the nearest station with 40 miles of range. The 33-gallon tank will bump me from 250 miles of range to 330 while towing. I can't imagine the 23-gallon tank at 230 miles of range. It not towing probably not that big of a deal.
Yeo. I was happy to have the 36 gallon on my F150... RAM was a bit short sighted on us. Im no engineer but if they could fit a 36 gallon tank on the super crew short bed Ferd then RAM can too... 🤔🙄

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What would be really neat is if RAM crammed a 50-ish gallon tank into their standard bed 1500s. The Titan XD did it until 2019 with their standard bed (6'7", so a little longer than our trucks' standard beds) and Cummins V8 engine. Even a 40-some gallon tank just to one-up Ford would be cool.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Remember just a few years ago when it took $100 to fill your tank? Thats just a 23-26 gallon tank.
1612024200151.jpeg
Bet those days are coming back, of course my monthly welfare I mean stimulus recovery payment checks will take care of that...

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember just a few years ago when it took $100 to fill your tank? Thats just a 23-26 gallon tank.
View attachment 81162
Bet those days are coming back, of course my monthly welfare I mean stimulus recovery payment checks will take care of that...
They’re not even stimulus checks, they’re technically “emergency relief funds”, I’d just spend it on parts 😂.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I so wanted the 33 gallon but they were almost non-existent at the dealership I bought from. Not enough towing around here I guess. He had 45-50 1500’s (Apr 2019) and maybe eight limiteds, 1/2 with ET and 1/2 w/o. Maybe six were 4x level 2 and two were 4x level 1.
Of the latter two, one had the steel grey exterior and black interior, 3.92, long bed and 1 had the 3.21, cream interior & ivory white. 🤔

Since it was for her (?) she didn't care about mechanicals, it was all driven by colors. (I’m just glad it wasn’t a V6...)😬

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I think the reason they have the 23 gal tank is for the EPA , a little less gas can mean a little more MPG during the test . lol

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
While it may have been true at one time that the etorque was the trigger for a 23 gallon tank as standard (I'm dubious that it ever was), it is not true for 2021 models. If you go to ramtrucks.com and build out the example you give for a '21 Big Horn, 5'7" bed, CC, 4x4 with any engine choice, you will see options to upgrade to 26 or 33 gallon tanks. Which means the standard tank is 23 gallons. If you build out the same truck, but select either a QC or a CC with the 6'4" bed, you'll only see the option to upgrade to the 33 gallon tank, with no 26 gallon option. Which means the standard tank is 26 gallons. Etorque no longer has anything to do with tank size, if it ever really did.
I believe it’s always been this way. When I was building my 2019 online it was the same way.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I misread the sticker at first, my bad. Yeah so it comes along with that engine, the 23 gallon tank for 2020-2021 models. It was a 26 gallon tank for 2019's.

Ok so standard you have 26 for that trim, cab, bed, drivetrain config. However, because you opted for the eTorque, you unfortunately have the 23 gallon tank. Point is, I believe, you have the 23 gallon tank. So, like I said earlier, options negate std features. Apologies for the confusion earlier.

Edit: Different Configs and Trims may yield different tank sizes with that eTorque Hemi, all I know is, that a '21 in a Big Horn 5'7" Bed Crew Cab 4x4 its 26 std, and its 23 if ya get that engine on top of that config.
This is all too confusing on Rams part. Just give everyone a std 26 and option a 33 or bigger if it fits the configuration. Sheesh! 🙄

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
California doesn't count. I don't think it's part of the US, is it:ROFLMAO:? The only state more expensive than NY!
Haha no kidding! Gas prices have gone up too. I wouldn’t be surprised if it costs me $100 today 🤯

Users who are viewing this thread