5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

irishwake63

Reaction score
I get great mileage in my 22 just horrible when towing my last 3 trucks generally got about 11 mpg when towing the same trailer (camper) and this one gets about 7-8

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The real reason for the Hurricane isn't CAFE like some think, joining Stellantis with their large portfolio of more efficient small engines fixed that. FIAT-Chrysler no longer needed to buy carbon credits from Tesla after Stellantis merger/purchase.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. There are different CAFE standards for different categories of vehicles. Merging with FIAT may have helped them meet standards for small passenger cars, but it did not help them achieve the 39 MPG average required for light duty trucks.

Just because they are not buying carbon credits does not mean they are not paying EPA fines. According to this story, only 2/3rds of Stellantis budget what went to excess emissions costs were covered through Tesla carbon credits. CAFE fines are expected to cost Stellantis $3 billion in the next 8 years or so.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. There are different CAFE standards for different categories of vehicles. Merging with FIAT may have helped them meet standards for small passenger cars, but it did not help them achieve the 39 MPG average required for light duty trucks.

Just because they are not buying carbon credits does not mean they are not paying EPA fines. According to this story, only 2/3rds of Stellantis budget what went to excess emissions costs were covered through Tesla carbon credits. CAFE fines are expected to cost Stellantis $3 billion in the next 8 years or so.

The fines Stellantis paid are due to previous years overages, I don't remember how many model years, but it could have been prior to the merger.

But good point on CAFE, though when discussing the reason for the Hurricane with the head engineer, he stated the big reason was half the emission of the Hemi, which is the reason why GM had to redesign their 5.3L and 6.2L going forward, not CAFE specific but Emissions.

When you consider the Hurricane only gets about 1mpg overall improvement, while have 50% less emissions, you can see what they were going for with this motor. Clearly Emissions over CAFE.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fines Stellantis paid are due to previous years overages, I don't remember how many model years, but it could have been prior to the merger.

But good point on CAFE, though when discussing the reason for the Hurricane with the head engineer, he stated the big reason was half the emission of the Hemi, which is the reason why GM had to redesign their 5.3L and 6.2L going forward, not CAFE specific but Emissions.

When you consider the Hurricane only gets about 1mpg overall improvement, while have 50% less emissions, you can see what they were going for with this motor. Clearly Emissions over CAFE.

I'm actually surprised the Hemi lasted as long as it did. I think when they first started selling it they had difficulty meeting emission standards so had to add a second spark plug to fire on the exhaust stroke to ignite unburnt fuel from the compression stroke.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised the Hemi lasted as long as it did. I think when they first started selling it they had difficulty meeting emission standards so had to add a second spark plug to fire on the exhaust stroke to ignite unburnt fuel from the compression stroke.

It's a dinosaur these days for sure. I think CAFE however is based as the corporate fleet in light duty, up to 8,500 lbs, so the 1500 should be in that grouping, but honestly not sure.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a dinosaur these days for sure. I think CAFE however is based as the corporate fleet in light duty, up to 8,500 lbs, so the 1500 should be in that grouping, but honestly not sure.

I'm not sure about the exact weight but the CAFE standards are somewhat complex. The 1500 and passenger cars fall under the general category "light duty vehicles" but under that there are specific standards for "passenger cars" and separate standards for "light trucks". For light trucks there are even different standard for 2 vs 4 wheel drive. It's more complex than I care to really examine in detail, but I gathered they use the higher category (light duty vehicles) corporate average to determine compliance then if not compliant issue fines based on the lower level category standards.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the exact weight but the CAFE standards are somewhat complex. The 1500 and passenger cars fall under the general category "light duty vehicles" but under that there are specific standards for "passenger cars" and separate standards for "light trucks". For light trucks there are even different standard for 2 vs 4 wheel drive. It's more complex than I care to really examine in detail, but I gathered they use the higher category (light duty vehicles) corporate average to determine compliance then if not compliant issue fines based on the lower level category standards.

Good info, I'll wade into it sometime :)

Users who are viewing this thread