5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas fill issues

CaffGeek

Reaction score
2021 Ram, less than a year old. A few months ago, it started not taking gas, it would click off at the pump after a few dollars, and I'd have to trickle gas in slowly.
Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the filler tube, as it had an "obstruction", and it seemed fine for a couple months.
The problem has resurfaced.
Anyone else have this issue? Is it common? Is there a proper fix?
Thanks so much :)

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
before you blame the vehicle, have you tried another gas station? if it happens at multiple gas stations, issue with vehicle, only 1 gas station, issue at that station.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a fairly common issue (one that pops up for me time to time), apparently RAM has a redesigned fuel tank specifically for this problem.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plenty have had this issue. Don't overfill the tank (click it 20 times once it's full) is usually the most common solution. Some gas pumps/stations have nozzles that require you to hold the nozzle in the vehicle at all times. Our Costco has a couple of these that I try to avoid if possible.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Someone on a different gas thread said put the nozzle all the way in then back it out a hair.. started doing this my self hasn’t shut off once after

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started doing the TFL "top off" by waiting 30 seconds after it clicks off, restarting to fuel and shutting it down on the second click off. I then started having the fueling issues for 3 or 4 consecutive fill ups. I decided to stop doing that and I haven't had an issue since. I'm not saying that fixed it as it could also be the pumps at this location, but fill ups haven't been an issue recently.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
before you blame the vehicle, have you tried another gas station? if it happens at multiple gas stations, issue with vehicle, only 1 gas station, issue at that station.
Yep, tried several.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Plenty have had this issue. Don't overfill the tank (click it 20 times once it's full) is usually the most common solution. Some gas pumps/stations have nozzles that require you to hold the nozzle in the vehicle at all times. Our Costco has a couple of these that I try to avoid if possible.

I made a point after getting it fixed, to NEVER let it click out once full. And then the issue started again :(

CaffGeek

Reaction score
This is a fairly common issue (one that pops up for me time to time), apparently RAM has a redesigned fuel tank specifically for this problem.
I'm going to have to bug the dealer again I guess.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Someone on a different gas thread said put the nozzle all the way in then back it out a hair.. started doing this my self hasn’t shut off once after
I've tried all kinds of positions. Nothing seems to work.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
If it's under warranty, take it to the dealer? Mine did the same thing, called service, they looked at it and told me they've had this issue on a few of them. Replacing the gas tank under warranty is the fix. Mine only has the issue when it was below 40 degrees outside.

Zig10

Reaction score
Went through the same thing last spring on mine. Fuel filler neck first didn't fix the issue, so they swapped the tank. Knocking on wood, but it's been nearly a year and so far so good.

Redtrucks

Reaction score
Had my fuel tank replaced a month ago and it ended my fuel filling issue. Apparently the rollover valve is now externally mounted versus internal.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
If it's under warranty, take it to the dealer? Mine did the same thing, called service, they looked at it and told me they've had this issue on a few of them. Replacing the gas tank under warranty is the fix. Mine only has the issue when it was below 40 degrees outside.
Yeah, it definitely starts happening when it's colder. Which makes it even worse when you are trying to put gas in

Klicht87

Reaction score
I'm taking mine in today to the dealers for this issue. Mine is a 2021 Laramie with the 33 gallon tank. I'll provide an update after today's visit.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bring a big funnel with me...yes, it's pretty common.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Well, it's at the dealer now... awaiting their diagnosis... I'm guessing they do the evap canister next... then in a few weeks, I'm back. Ugh... such a pita when you don't live in the city, and they don't provide a loaner car

In the first year, any reason you need to bring your car in you should get a loaner...regardless of warranty, nothing should be going wrong in the first year.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I'm taking mine in today to the dealers for this issue. Mine is a 2021 Laramie with the 33 gallon tank. I'll provide an update after today's visit.
Alright fellas. My fill issue was diagnosed as the vent piece so they will be replacing the tube between the fill hole and the gas tank. They also mentioned they will be inspecting the connection as the gas tank. I'll, again, provide a follow up next week after they replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread