5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas fill issues

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Alright fellas. My fill issue was diagnosed as the vent piece so they will be replacing the tube between the fill hole and the gas tank. They also mentioned they will be inspecting the connection as the gas tank. I'll, again, provide a follow up next week after they replace it.
This was my first fix. After a month or so it started again.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Well, it's at the dealer now... awaiting their diagnosis... I'm guessing they do the evap canister next... then in a few weeks, I'm back. Ugh... such a pita when you don't live in the city, and they don't provide a loaner car

In the first year, any reason you need to bring your car in you should get a loaner...regardless of warranty, nothing should be going wrong in the first year.
Looks like I'm on step #2... before the tank replace.

They're ordering a "dual evaporator canister kit" as the fix this time around.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm on step #2... before the tank replace.

They're ordering a "dual evaporator canister kit" as the fix this time around.
I'd be interested to know how many of these issues were actually fixed by step 1 or 2, and how many eventually required a new tank. I realize that's something they'll never release to the public, but as a customer I'd like to know.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Before you take it in to the dealer and have to deal with all that, try this. Insert gas nozzle and twist it to the left so the nozzle tip is at the 2 o'clock position. This has worked for me every time on every pump and all the gas stations, including Costco. And many different stations that I used in 6 different states. Yes you have to hold the handle for the whole filling time to keep it at that 2 o'clock position, but its worth it to have the tank fill without tripping off.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before you take it in to the dealer and have to deal with all that, try this. Insert gas nozzle and twist it to the left so the nozzle tip is at the 2 o'clock position. This has worked for me every time on every pump and all the gas stations, including Costco. And many different stations that I used in 6 different states. Yes you have to hold the handle for the whole filling time to keep it at that 2 o'clock position, but its worth it to have the tank fill without tripping off.
I'll try to remember for next time I have problems filling up. But for some odd reason, the last two times I filled up at Costco, no problems at all.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
I've tried all kinds of positions. Nothing worked.

But even if one did... I'd still want it fixed properly.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I actually did that the other day, turned it to 3 o'clock and it worked. Mine is under warranty and if they say something is wrong with it, I'll let them replace it.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Looks like there's a Technical Service Bulletin and they have a new redesigned filler neck that should solve the issue. Going to pick up the truck in a few hours

Shawn_m

Reaction score
My issue is fixed when they replaced the gas tank..at least so far. The issue as it was explained to me was the rollover valve would get stuck in the closed position which wouldn't allow the tank to vent properly while filling up. I also got a new fuel pump out of the deal because the tech dropped either the tank or the fuel pump when swapping it over and broke the plastic casing. Not that I needed a new one but there it is.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I just had the filler neck replaced. Haven't tested it out yet but I'll let you all know.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a new filler neck and that helped for awhile. Then the dealership replaced the tank (rollover valve).

So far I haven't had any issues since my tank was replaced.

Interesting, if a big funnel works, will the white funnel supplied with our trucks work? I haven't had to add fuel yet but so I'm just throwing that out there.
Probably not. That funnel is small and can handle someone pouring gas from a can but probably not sized to handle the full flow from the pump.

You could throttle the flow with the pump handle but that just seems like a bad (and potentially very messy) idea. :unsure:

Last edited:

jzinckgra

Reaction score
I'm making an appt to deal with this as it's getting worse. I needed to fill tank this morning and within 3gal it started shutting off. pouring rain didn't help. Managed 8 gal then said screw it. Does Ram even acknowlede this issue? I can't believe this and the key fob issue are real problems on a 2021 vehicle.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I'm making an appt to deal with this as it's getting worse. I needed to fill tank this morning and within 3gal it started shutting off. pouring rain didn't help. Managed 8 gal then said screw it. Does Ram even acknowlede this issue? I can't believe this and the key fob issue are real problems on a 2021 vehicle.
I had my filler neck replaced but it didn't fix my issue. As a temporary fix, pull the nozzle out a little bit and it should work.

Bpurifoy

Reaction score
Pur t
My issue is fixed when they replaced the gas tank..at least so far. The issue as it was explained to me was the rollover valve would get stuck in the closed position which wouldn't allow the tank to vent properly while filling up. I also got a new fuel pump out of the deal because the tech dropped either the tank or the fuel pump when swapping it over and broke the plastic casing. Not that I needed a new one but there it is.
And was replaced Dec 2021. It has started to click. Off the pump again. Taking it back tomorrow to see what they say this time.

Bpurifoy

Reaction score
Our 2020 bighorn started the not filling up correctly in November 2021. They replaced just he tank with an updated version in Dec 2021. It has started to not fill up again. It is going to the dealership tomorrow. I know about the tabs and I've contacted fca about this issue as well. This is our second brand new 2020 bighorn. First was bought back. So, we are very disappointed.

Montag84

Reaction score
Happens on my Durango all the time. If putting the nozzle all the way in and backing it out a little doesn't work, cranking the nozzle and handle counterclockwise and holding the handle parallel with the ground solves the problem and it pumps at full speed and does not click.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Looks like there's a Technical Service Bulletin and they have a new redesigned filler neck that should solve the issue. Going to pick up the truck in a few hours
And the problem is back. Apparently this time they're replacing the fuel pump... 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/