5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gale Banks responds: pedal monster vs pedal commander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
He explained the advantages of odb2, which is, being able to disable the gain in reverse, and also being able to customize for an exact car/truck that you're driving. It also disables itself when it senses problems.
Who cares about it changing in verse, doesn't matter.
And it doesn't customize crap for the car\truck you are driving, it's a damn throttle adjustment system, nothing more.
Typical sales BS just like all the other companies.

More likely to have problems with this device connected into your ODB2 port.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He explained the advantages of odb2, which is, being able to disable the gain in reverse, and also being able to customize for an exact car/truck that you're driving. It also disables itself when it senses problems.

Yeah, about that failure mode analysis - the OBD is now a single point of failure. It only has to miss the reverse information once when you start to back up, and you have a sudden unexpected change in behavior.

And about disabling itself - it's been my experience that when systems fail, they don't know that they have failed, and will happily report that all is well.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, about that failure mode analysis - the OBD is now a single point of failure. It only has to miss the reverse information once when you start to back up, and you have a sudden unexpected change in behavior.

And about disabling itself - it's been my experience that when systems fail, they don't know that they have failed, and will happily report that all is well.

What nonsense. 🤦‍♂️

silver billet

Reaction score
Who cares about it changing in verse, doesn't matter.
And it doesn't customize crap for the car\truck you are driving, it's a damn throttle adjustment system, nothing more.
Typical sales BS just like all the other companies.

More likely to have problems with this device connected into your ODB2 port.

Every post you've typed in this thread has been wrong in one way or another. Why ruin a perfect record eh?

silver billet

Reaction score
Are you affiliated with Banks, because you sure are pushing his items :ROFLMAO: Enjoy whatever throttle controller you want.

No, pretty sure I even said I don't own of these anymore. This discussion has come up in multiple threads but some guys just don't want to get it. 🤷‍♂️

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, pretty sure I even said I don't own of these anymore. This discussion has come up in multiple threads but some guys just don't want to get it. 🤷‍♂️
Many run both with no issues, so not really sure what this thread was made for :unsure: Enjoy your Banks!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the PC page bad? Yeah, it's typical marketing with bad grammar. Is this video good? It's not bad, but it's still marketing and does exactly what a competing product would do. You're not going to get a straight answer from either company about any competitors. When I talk to customers I don't say, "Yeah that product is actually really good and pretty much does the same thing as ours. But buy ours because I asked so nicely!" I'm going to pick apart every single little flaw and blow it up so all the good/normal things it does compared to my product seem inferior by comparison.

Anecdotal here, but the only time I've ever run into an issue with my PC is when I stupidly changed modes while in Drive. Luckily I was just sitting in my driveway with my foot still on the brake, but I just wasn't thinking and changed it. PC says you're not supposed to do that, and it makes sense. Those issues people had at the 8 minute mark all sound exactly like what happened to me when I changed modes in Drive. Again, something PC says not to do.

I personally don't want the pedal changing without my input when I'm driving. Why would I want different sensitivity between reverse and drive? What happens when my wife gets in the truck, reverses out of the driveway/parking spot on one pedal setting, then has Sport+ or whatever I chose when moving forward and slams into my mailbox/a car? Terrible idea.

silver billet

Reaction score
Is the PC page bad? Yeah, it's typical marketing with bad grammar. Is this video good? It's not bad, but it's still marketing and does exactly what a competing product would do. You're not going to get a straight answer from either company about any competitors. When I talk to customers I don't say, "Yeah that product is actually really good and pretty much does the same thing as ours. But buy ours because I asked so nicely!" I'm going to pick apart every single little flaw and blow it up so all the good/normal things it does compared to my product seem inferior by comparison.

Anecdotal here, but the only time I've ever run into an issue with my PC is when I stupidly changed modes while in Drive. Luckily I was just sitting in my driveway with my foot still on the brake, but I just wasn't thinking and changed it. PC says you're not supposed to do that, and it makes sense. Those issues people had at the 8 minute mark all sound exactly like what happened to me when I changed modes in Drive. Again, something PC says not to do.

I personally don't want the pedal changing without my input when I'm driving. Why would I want different sensitivity between reverse and drive? What happens when my wife gets in the truck, reverses out of the driveway/parking spot on one pedal setting, then has Sport+ or whatever I chose when moving forward and slams into my mailbox/a car? Terrible idea.

You guys will say the most ridiculous things. What happens to your wife when she climbs into your car, puts it in reverse, and slams into the car behind her because your commander is set to sport+?

What happens to your wife when she is driving along and the pedal circuitry gets shutdown due to under voltage and now she has no gas pedal, or it puts the car into unintended acceleration?

The point of the video was to show how much better engineered the one product is, and how much safer it is. Buy what you want, the facts are the facts whether you want to admit it or not.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The point of the video was to show how much better engineered the one product is, and how much safer it is. Buy what you want, the facts are the facts whether you want to admit it or not.

It's sort of like saying our refined American rattlesnake oil is better than their raw Turkish horned viper oil. Only slightly hyperbolic to make the point. Which is that none of these will do anything that your foot isn't already capable of. I had another paragraph of stuff typed, but decided to leave it there.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You guys will say the most ridiculous things. What happens to your wife when she climbs into your car, puts it in reverse, and slams into the car behind her because your commander is set to sport+?

What happens to your wife when she is driving along and the pedal circuitry gets shutdown due to under voltage and now she has no gas pedal, or it puts the car into unintended acceleration?

I don't let me wife drive my $80k truck.
You earn driving an expensive car\truck, and she doesn't have the technical knowhow to know if anything acts up.

You also DONT put ANYONE into a modded car\truck unless they know\understand the mods that are installed PERIOD.

That's like giving an 18 year old a GT500 and blaming the car for when the kid literally kills himself because he can't handle or doesn't know how to handle what he is put into.
I haven't seen a single post ever with someone claiming a throttle controller died and caused them to sit mid intersection without being able to move. I'm sure a thread like that exists somewhere but it's rare enough to not matter discussing. These are non-issues, the video is a sales video and no better or worse then any others. I did enjoy watching him, but it is a sales video and thus useless.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

But they're barely "facts". Why is it better engineered? Because it interacts directly with the entire brain of the truck rather than the throttle controller? How is it safer? Because they didn't show any failures in their video? You can only fail-safe something so much. If I chop my leg off with my chainsaw because I stuck my leg under the bar while running it is it my fault or Stihl's? Pedal Monsters have their own share of failures, like putting vehicles in limp mode.

Are there pros and cons to both products? Yes. Is it laughable to provide a video of "facts" claimed by one company while disregarding "facts" claimed by the other? Objectively yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread