5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gale Banks responds: pedal monster vs pedal commander

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you wanted to know why the banks pedal monster is superior in every way to the pedal commander, watch below. Gale Banks has a very funny response to some marketing from PC, little dramatic but its all truth and a great watch. Nobody should be driving with the pedal commander if you value your life or the lives of your family, its an unsafe product.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Everyone of those companies say the same bs crap. I wouldn't believe any of them.
I used a Sprint booster for a year. A Pedal Commander for 4 months. No problems with either.

silver billet

Reaction score
I just finished it, and I'm sticking with my original comment. There's too much bs marketing in the world, Pedal Monster is no exclusion to this.

It's not marketing. Point out the facts he says are incorrect, either on the pedal monster or the pedal commander.

silver billet

Reaction score
I have no skin in the game anymore, I had a banks for a while but prefer stock pedal feel after trying it for a few months and sold it. No question the banks is far better designed.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was entertaining, but all these pedal devices do is change the accelerator pedal curve, and that doesn't sound useful compared to my foot which is highly adaptable. My $.02. 🤷‍♂️

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That was entertaining, but all these pedal devices do is change the accelerator pedal curve, and that doesn't sound useful compared to my foot which is highly adaptable. My $.02. 🤷‍♂️
They do make a big difference then having none.
It's not making your truck faster but does make it much better to drive, I would say it's worth the $200-300 (knowing you will get half of it back on the resale market anyways)

ben b

Reaction score
I watched the video. Gale Banks comes across as a typical engineer: technical, ornery, fact-oriented, verbose and somewhat snarky. I have some familiarity with the type as my wife is married to an engineer. We are definitely tough to love.

While I don’t have good cause to dispute Gale’s analysis, I do have an ingrained skepticism when one competitor analyzes another. So here goes my own verbose and somewhat snarky comments.

It is very positive that Pedal Monster did an FMEA on their product. This is a process that identifies possible failure modes, assesses their risk and is used to make a product more robust and safer. But it is odd that Gale says that they ran an FMEA program. I don’t know what this means – I think of FMEA as a process with very specific steps and brainstorming. You may use a program to help you think thru issues and document them, but the FMEAs that my teams executed were done by human engineers with domain expertise. I can’t imagine leaving an FMEA to a computer program. So I am a little skeptical here.

Gale’s point that their competitor manufactures their device in Turkey whereas his is manufactured in the USA is irrelevant. The key is to manufacture the product in a high volume circuit board assembly factory with high standards. While there are some of these in the USA, most are in Asia (China, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc.). It is unlikely that a captive factory, such as Gale’s, could come close to the quality of a assembler who is used to building Apple or Samsung cell phones or other similar devices. So I have some skepticism here as well.

Gail’s point that his company makes high volume, complex engines for the US Military is a valid plus. But I would have more confidence if I knew that these were the same engineers who designed Pedal Monster. Often times, companies contract out engineering to low-cost bidders, especially when the product is outside their mainline business.

Pedal Monster may easily be a superior product, and I admit to viewing the video from a skeptical perspective. There is much to admire about Gale’s presentation, and I Ieft out mentioning some important parts where I am in total agreement, which isn’t fair to Pedal Monster.

Still, as an engineer, I see all these devices as a risk. There are many things that can go wrong, even if the device works well nearly all the time for nearly all people. A simpler approach might be to buy some lead weights and put them in your right shoe.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gale is as much, if not more, a salesman than an engineer. Smart guy but IMHO, still a huckster.

He could probably sell ice to Eskimos if he thought he could make a buck.

Having owned a few Banks products, I'd be more concerned with the buggy software in the box that can lock up (first hand experience) than any perceived "safeties."

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still, as an engineer, I see all these devices as a risk. There are many things that can go wrong, even if the device works well nearly all the time for nearly all people. A simpler approach might be to buy some lead weights and put them in your right shoe.

I thought adjustable spring tension on the accelerator pedal would be more useful. But that would be hard to put in a plug-n-play snake oil package.

And he tried to make it sound normal, but the thing has no controls. You have to either supply a smart phone or buy their special add-on. God forbid you should forget your phone or go somewhere it's not allowed. Sure, lots of stuff is made these days that relies on a phone app. That makes it cheaper to manufacture. Oops, did I give away the real reason?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought adjustable spring tension on the accelerator pedal would be more useful. But that would be hard to put in a plug-n-play snake oil package.

And he tried to make it sound normal, but the thing has no controls. You have to either supply a smart phone or buy their special add-on. God forbid you should forget your phone or go somewhere it's not allowed. Sure, lots of stuff is made these days that relies on a phone app. That makes it cheaper to manufacture. Oops, did I give away the real reason?
I purposely try to separate my phone from my truck. Technology is not perfect, I've had tons of problems with my phones in the past. Same reason why my truck has nav and I don't use any kind of carplay.

Im sure the banks product is probably good, maybe. Silly it eats up an odb2 connection and he says stuff like it needs to know if it's an automatic and crap. My Sprint booster has a dip switch for that, it's not rocket science. No reason why it can't have buttons and AP app like the pedal commander. I used the app once then uninstalled it

If someone is dumb enough to not know if their car is a manual or automatic they shouldn't be trying to use a throttle controller.

Bring back drive by cable please.

silver billet

Reaction score
Gale is as much, if not more, a salesman than an engineer. Smart guy but IMHO, still a huckster.

He could probably sell ice to Eskimos if he thought he could make a buck.

Having owned a few Banks products, I'd be more concerned with the buggy software in the box that can lock up (first hand experience) than any perceived "safeties."

Did you watch the video? You can't even put these 2 devices in the same class, the one is an engineered product with some design and thought put into safety, the other is just a guys project in his basement. Not even close.

There are lots of reports of the pedal commander triggering christmas lights and/or doing unintended acceleration. I have yet to see this with the pedal monster though of course nothing is perfect. Even the Ram itself can get squirrely at time. Still, look at those 2 designs and tell me with a straight face that they're equal.

silver billet

Reaction score

Snake oil. Good grief.

The device is installed and you don't need your phone beyond adjusting the level. If you forget your phone it still works on the last setting.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you watch the video? You can't even put these 2 devices in the same class, the one is an engineered product with some design and thought put into safety, the other is just a guys project in his basement. Not even close.

There are lots of reports of the pedal commander triggering christmas lights and/or doing unintended acceleration. I have yet to see this with the pedal monster though of course nothing is perfect. Even the Ram itself can get squirrely at time. Still, look at those 2 designs and tell me with a straight face that they're equal.
I see more issues reported with the Pedal Monster then the Pedal Commander.

I don't see any issues reported with the Sprint Booster

The devices are equal

silver billet

Reaction score
Im sure the banks product is probably good, maybe. Silly it eats up an odb2 connection and he says stuff like it needs to know if it's an automatic and crap. My Sprint booster has a dip switch for that, it's not rocket science. No reason why it can't have buttons and AP app like the pedal commander. I used the app once then uninstalled it

If someone is dumb enough to not know if their car is a manual or automatic they shouldn't be trying to use a throttle controller.

Bring back drive by cable please.

He explained the advantages of odb2, which is, being able to disable the gain in reverse, and also being able to customize for an exact car/truck that you're driving. It also disables itself when it senses problems.

silver billet

Reaction score
1uxe8e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/