5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FYI - My lift and Tires.... Warranty Work and Some Rust

11B4X4

Reaction score
I just wanted to make a catch all post for some note worthy topics with my truck.

First, upon trying to put gas in my truck for the first time I learned that there was a malfunction with the fuel system. The pump would click like it was full immediately after squeezing the handle. The end result was a factory defective 33 gallon gas tank. The tank was replaced under warranty and the issue has been resolved

Moving right along....

3.5" Readylift on stock Premium 20's, wrapped in 295/65R20 Cooper Discovered STT Pro's
Some minor rubbing near full turn while driving forward, it feels like UCA rub. It's not severe enough to correct. However, it would not be ideal if you put yourself in tight places on a regular basis.
Also, Some rubbing of the wheel well while making a sharp turn in reverse. Again, not enough of an issue for corrective action, at least for me.
The truck still rides nice and smooth. The tires are pretty loud on the highway, but I don't mind. While using the Bluetooth the person on the other end can't hear any noise.
Significant drop in MPG, as expected. Pre-Lift I could achieve 21 mpg at highway speeds. Now, If I feather the throttle and work the hills I can get 14.5 MPG (Gauge Readout). Granted that has not been re-calibrated for tire size and the gauge was .5mpg optimistic prior to lift and tires. So no clue how far off it is at this point...The pictures aren't the best, but you get the idea. The side by side comparison is with another 1500 with a 6" lift on 35's

Lastly....

Rust on the rear axle. The dealership says it's normal. I feel a $53k truck should not have rust when brand spanking new. Does anyone else have these rust spots ( See photos)? I have opened a case with FCA to have it looked at and hopefully repaired and with any luck a complimentary undercoating.

So far I really like my truck. I am coming to Ram from a lifted 2006 Tacoma which I absolutely LOVED, but was ready for something new and bigger.

If you have any questions or comments let me know.

Attachments

• 20190121_151658.jpg
    20190121_151658.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 245
  • 20190131_205539.jpg
    20190131_205539.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 258
  • 20190131_205551.jpg
    20190131_205551.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 246
  • 20190201_091825.jpg
    20190201_091825.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 253
  • 20190201_091838.jpg
    20190201_091838.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 277
  • 20181226_152215.jpg
    20181226_152215.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 285
  • 20181226_152224.jpg
    20181226_152224.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 296
  • 20181226_152240.jpg
    20181226_152240.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 289

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just wanted to make a catch all post for some note worthy topics with my truck.

First, upon trying to put gas in my truck for the first time I learned that there was a malfunction with the fuel system. The pump would click like it was full immediately after squeezing the handle. The end result was a factory defective 33 gallon gas tank. The tank was replaced under warranty and the issue has been resolved

Moving right along....

3.5" Readylift on stock Premium 20's, wrapped in 295/65R20 Cooper Discovered STT Pro's
Some minor rubbing near full turn while driving forward, it feels like UCA rub. It's not severe enough to correct. However, it would not be ideal if you put yourself in tight places on a regular basis.
Also, Some rubbing of the wheel well while making a sharp turn in reverse. Again, not enough of an issue for corrective action, at least for me.
The truck still rides nice and smooth. The tires are pretty loud on the highway, but I don't mind. While using the Bluetooth the person on the other end can't hear any noise.
Significant drop in MPG, as expected. Pre-Lift I could achieve 21 mpg at highway speeds. Now, If I feather the throttle and work the hills I can get 14.5 MPG (Gauge Readout). Granted that has not been re-calibrated for tire size and the gauge was .5mpg optimistic prior to lift and tires. So no clue how far off it is at this point...The pictures aren't the best, but you get the idea. The side by side comparison is with another 1500 with a 6" lift on 35's

Lastly....

Rust on the rear axle. The dealership says it's normal. I feel a $53k truck should not have rust when brand spanking new. Does anyone else have these rust spots ( See photos)? I have opened a case with FCA to have it looked at and hopefully repaired and with any luck a complimentary undercoating.

So far I really like my truck. I am coming to Ram from a lifted 2006 Tacoma which I absolutely LOVED, but was ready for something new and bigger.

Truck looks great! Why that tire size vs. a 35/11.5/20? What offset on the wheels?

https://www.roughcountry.com/speedometer-calibrator-90019.html

11B4X4

Reaction score
Thanks Joeyp!

According to the Cooper site the tires are 11.7" wide and 35.43" in diameter. Off the top of my head i'm not sure of the offset, although i'm pretty sure it's not negative.

Thanks for the link. I'm holding off to get the Pulsar or something similar to it in the near future.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Joeyp!

According to the Cooper site the tires are 11.7" wide and 35.43" in diameter. Off the top of my head i'm not sure of the offset, although i'm pretty sure it's not negative.

Thanks for the link. I'm holding off to get the Pulsar or something similar to it in the near future.
Thanks Joeyp!

Def positive...looks like you're completely under the wheel wells.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Moving right along....

Lastly....

Hows the Readylift ride? Thats what Im gonna roll with.

11B4X4

Reaction score
Hows the Readylift ride? Thats what Im gonna roll with.

The ride is great. Between the lift and tires the truck finally feels like a truck and not a Cadillac. No complaints about the lift. I didn't do the install so I can't comment on that. If i were to do it again i'd probably have gone 6" lift, just for a little extra height. Overall all though the lift was high quality and leveled everything out nicely. I got it for a couple hundred dollars less from Amazon than what Readylift was selling them for.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ride is great. Between the lift and tires the truck finally feels like a truck and not a Cadillac. No complaints about the lift. I didn't do the install so I can't comment on that. If i were to do it again i'd probably have gone 6" lift, just for a little extra height. Overall all though the lift was high quality and leveled everything out nicely. I got it for a couple hundred dollars less from Amazon than what Readylift was selling them for.
Cool...for anyone watching this thread the rep told me if you call up and order on the phone they'll give you 20% off your order...That's not bad.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did you do like a +20 offset?

HotStuff

Reaction score
Those are factory wheels. +19mm offset.

Nice looking truck....

Here's my truck....

KIMG0127.JPG

HotStuff

Reaction score
Looks like we have pretty similar taste. Do you plan on keeping the stock wheels? I'm considering a small spacer just to kick the wheels out a little more.
My truck came with the 18" wheels being a Off Road Package. I bought these Laramie wheels cheap (350 bucks) with 20 miles on them, with sensors in them.... Lol I like these wheels is why I bought them. I'll stick with them.

HotStuff

Reaction score
Plus I don't have flares. Makes them look like they stick out a little farther than yours with the flares.

11B4X4

Reaction score
Plus I don't have flares. Makes them look like they stick out a little farther than yours with the flares.

That's a steal for those wheels. I wouldn't have bought them If I custom ordered. But apparently what I was looking for in my truck was a unicorn so I took a couple things that I didn't really want. Also, good point on the fender flares, I didn't even notice.

11B4X4

Reaction score
Bare metal is going to rust, it's inevitable.

I get that, but the axle looks painted and like the rust spots were missed and that's why it's rusting. Either way I hate to think about what a few winters will do to it if it has rust with zero winters under it's belt. Does your's have similar rust spots?

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I get that, but the axle looks painted and like the rust spots were missed and that's why it's rusting. Either way I hate to think about what a few winters will do to it if it has rust with zero winters under it's belt. Does your's have similar rust spots?

I honestly haven't been under mine to check. I've only owned it for a month but our roads have been covered in salt since then. It just warmed up enough to wash it off today and it's in the garage thawing out now. I will take a peak and see what mine looks like though.

drumexpert

Reaction score

I have similar rust on my Rebel where the drive line connects to the differential. I'll ask the dealer next when I go for an oil change.

About your gas tank being defective. I have the standard size tank and have a similar issue where the gas nozzle clicks off. Its not consistent enough that I thought it was a problem, but now you got me thinking. Did the dealer replace the entire tank? Or did they fix something where the filler neck is?

Rich

Reaction score
As to the rust, I'm going with FluidFilm.

I have a mechanic friend that loves it and says it works great. Downside is you have to redo it every 2 years as a minimum, or once a year for perfection.

11B4X4

Reaction score
I have similar rust on my Rebel where the drive line connects to the differential. I'll ask the dealer next when I go for an oil change.

About your gas tank being defective. I have the standard size tank and have a similar issue where the gas nozzle clicks off. Its not consistent enough that I thought it was a problem, but now you got me thinking. Did the dealer replace the entire tank? Or did they fix something where the filler neck is?

They first replaced the filler neck and that did not resolve the issue. So they ended up replacing the entire tank. For mine it was not an intermittent problem. I could only pump about a gallon every minute and half.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Visit fordraptorforum. You'll see that almost every new truck is delivered with rusty axles. You're probably not going to get anywhere with that. And most of those are $70-80K trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread