5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Synthetic Oil - Why Not Use 0W-20?

cra1g

Reaction score
I went to Mobil 1 website, entered 2019 ram 1500 v8 and first oil listed was 0w-20..... I ordered that and was going to change the oil myself but then hurt my back so took it to the dealer where they refused to put 0w oil in it. Just hard to believe Mobil 1 would the wrong information on their website!!!!

It's because they don't make a Mobil1 that meets both Chrysler's specification requirement and viscosity recommendation. Between the choice of two "wrong" oils, they're recommending the one that won't void your warranty.

1570985805912.png

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic and a Mobil1 Extended Performance Oil Filter from Walmart. I'm either taking her in this week or next for her 5K oil change. I changed her at 1K...will now do a 5K and then every 5K from there like clockwork. Been using PP for years and really like their products. IMPO, and based on many on-line reviews over any years, Mobil makes one of the best filters and it is only $10 at Walmart.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
It’s simple. Follow the mfg requirements to maintain warranty. Deviate at your own peril if you have a claim down the road and can’t prove you followed their requirements. Extended warranty will not protect you if you didn’t follow the original requirement.

M

Mdegen93

Aside from the owner's manual stating a recommended viscosity rating of 5W-20, what would be the downside of running 0W-20 or even a 5W-30 full synthetic in our 5.7L HEMIs so long as the oil meets the MS-6395 spec? Would Ram not honor their warranty if there were any engine issues?

Been looking at the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum offerings in anticipation my first oil change...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
It has to do with the mds solenoids

heydre

Reaction score
Please follow this link into the rabbit hole...LINK

Lots of knowledgeable folks on there (Bob is the Oil Guy forum) and...well...anecdotes

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
What I'd love to know (from a HEMI engineer or someone on the inside at FCA) is the deeper "why" they spec 5W-20 and not 0W-20, 0W-30 or even 5W-30 if it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec? What is it about a 0W weight in cold temps (or at startup) that is bad for this engine compared to a 5W weight? Same question goes for a 30 weight at normal engine operating temps as opposed to a 20 weight? It can't be all about fuel efficiency can it?

Just a quick comment, if the manual says 5W20, why do folks always want to use something different and question the engineers who designed the engine??? It's not like 5W20 is any more expensive than 0W20 or 5W30 so why not just make life easy and use what they tell you to and call it a day.

heydre

Reaction score
Just a quick comment, if the manual says 5W20, why do folks always want to use something different and question the engineers who designed the engine??? It's not like 5W20 is any more expensive than 0W20 or 5W30 so why not just make life easy and use what they tell you to and call it a day.
My guess would be....distrust or skepticism towards engineering standards and/or vehicle owner maintenance protocols

DreamRider

Reaction score
It's because they don't make a Mobil1 that meets both Chrysler's specification requirement and viscosity recommendation. Between the choice of two "wrong" oils, they're recommending the one that won't void your warranty.

View attachment 37735

Well I ordered the 0w-20 which was listed for the 2019 ram hemi on Mobil website but the dealer did say it would void the warranty, and wouldnt put it in.

I didnt look at the Ram manual, I knew I wanted Mobil 1 oil so I just went to the Mobil website, entered the truck info and then ordered the oil. I just cannot believe that Mobil would list oil on their website that would void the warranty and the dealer would refuse to put in the truck, its not like they have thousands of products, they mainly just sell oil and should be able to get it right.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well I ordered the 0w-20 which was listed for the 2019 ram hemi on Mobil website but the dealer did say it would void the warranty, and wouldnt put it in.

I didnt look at the Ram manual, I knew I wanted Mobil 1 oil so I just went to the Mobil website, entered the truck info and then ordered the oil. I just cannot believe that Mobil would list oil on their website that would void the warranty and the dealer would refuse to put in the truck, its not like they have thousands of products, they mainly just sell oil and should be able to get it right.
It say in the OWNERS MANUAL 5W20. Many things listed on the Internet are incorrect.

davidw450

Reaction score
I used mobil one 5 30 in my charger 5.7. check engine light came on for wrong oil viscosty and mds was a little rough at highway speeds.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Gotta' love our newer tech engines. (Ol' fogey story coming)
Back in the day, you dumped in straight 30, 10w30, straight 40, 20W-50, about anything you found... I was working at a gas station back in the 70's and I guy came in and asked for some of the waste oil out of the can that we had by the pumps. We drained oil, ATF, whatever was liquid in there... So he dumps it down the crankcase filler and tears off in a cloud of smoke...

Now even my lawnmower engine specifies a viscosity... :unsure:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't change the higher number to anything else besides 20 because this is directly related to the size tolerances between moving and striking parts within the engine. I put 5W 30 in my old Hemi and noticed the MDS didn't come on as much and was rougher so back to 20 it was. I don't see any issue with going to a 0W from the 5W because this actually allows for better viscosity and protection of your engine. At the Synthetic oil particle level this allows oil parts to get into even harder to reach areas and lubricate them. The only reason IMO they don't endorse this is due to them wanting you to spend your money at the dealership on their oil. As has been said Zero Weight, Zero Problem.

Last edited:

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I think the last paragraph on the left side of the owners manual
"Lubricants that do not have both the oil certification mark or the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used". Says it all. I think they would have the right to deny a claim if they analyized the oil.

My wife had a 2009 Journey, and the engine let go, but could not say anything because I kept the oil changed, and used the proper oil viscosity called for my the owners manual. I used Mobil One and they said the engine was very clean except it let go. Got a new engine, no money. So, I will keep up with what Ram says. I do my own oil changes, but put in full synth oil that Ram states.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The only reason IMO they don't endorse this is due to them wanting you to spend your money at the dealership on their 5W oil. As has been said Zero Weight, Zero Problem

Not sure what this means as the cost of 0W20 and 5W20 is the same and most dealers have both in stock

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what this means as the cost of 0W20 and 5W20 is the same and most dealers have both in stock

Correct, (Fixed it above) they are both expensive at the dealer not just 5W. I can get my Synthetic for a better price than the Dealers oil and when I switched to Mobil 1 I noticed my MDS on more and a fuel economy increase. I also trust Mobil 1 more than their bulk oil. As pointed out above the Mobil 1 0W-20 meets the MS-6395 Chrysler Spec.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is a great deal. If they only charged me $17 I would gladly let them do it.

If you supply the oil and the filter and all they do is the labor...what did they say they'd charge you? I do this with all of my cars and every dealer (Subaru, Infiniti, RAM, Honda) has been between $17-$20 for labor only on an oil change.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you supply the oil and the filter and all they do is the labor...what did they say they'd charge you? I do this with all of my cars and every dealer (Subaru, Infiniti, RAM, Honda) has been between $17-$20 for labor only on an oil change.

I haven't asked them on that one, I guess it could be almost as cheap. The biggest headache for me would be the scheduling and time out of my work schedule to drive it over there and drop it off and pick it up. For your service record this is a great way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread