5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Synthetic Oil - Why Not Use 0W-20?

rceagle1a

Reaction score
The “oil wars” will go on and on but the post above is what Id follow. During your factory or extended warranty, use what will keep you covered. People have been denied for less, and theres threads about it.
Exactly until warranty is gone I’ll run what they tell me to.

cra1g

Reaction score
Oem’s love the 0/5-20 weight oils because they can sell you major engine parts just out of warranty. If my cam ever fails it’s BYE BYE mds and hello 10w40 oil in winter and 15w40 in summer. But until warranty is gone I’ll play by the rules.

Oooh, conspiracy time! Tell us the one about the 100mpg caruburetor! :rolleyes:

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Oooh, conspiracy time! Tell us the one about the 100mpg caruburetor! :rolleyes:
This is in no way a conspiracy, don’t tell me that either 0W or 5W oil in a 20 weight is going to protect an engine as well as a slightly heavier oil. It is just total BS, that you have chose to buy into. Yes, additive packages are much better today which keeps the base oil doing its job much better but lighter oil does not protect better over all. The tolerances inside of these hemi engines is no tighter than an engine was back when the magnum series engines were out .So again how is this conspiracy? I prefer an oil that under pressure is going to have better lubricity properties then some light almost WD-40 thickness oil. To each their own I don’t tell you what to run in your truck you can run water if you choose to, if you do that good luck I hope it works for you .

cra1g

Reaction score
Well why stop there? 10W40 won't protect as well as 90-weight gear oil.

There are plenty of people out there running the specified oil and going 200k miles or more. You want to pretend to be an engineer? Go for it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oem’s love the 0/5-20 weight oils because they can sell you major engine parts just out of warranty. If my cam ever fails it’s BYE BYE mds and hello 10w40 oil in winter and 15w40 in summer. But until warranty is gone I’ll play by the rules.
We’ll see how that goes if my engine fails due to an oil-related issue during my lifetime warranty. That said, I’m guessing I’ll make it a long, long time on PUP 5W-20!

rceagle1a

Reaction score
We’ll see how that goes if my engine fails due to an oil-related issue during my lifetime warranty. That said, I’m guessing I’ll make it a long, long time on PUP 5W-20!
In your case, yes you should be fine with a unlimited mileage warranty. But not everybody has that nor will they. Some people choose not to buy warranties or better known as insurance plans, because that’s what they are. In your case I would run whatever the manufacturer recommends or approves of.

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Well why stop there? 10W40 won't protect as well as 90-weight gear oil.

There are plenty of people out there running the specified oil and going 200k miles or more. You want to pretend to be an engineer? Go for it.
I don’t profess to be an engineer, I’m a technician that has to fix everything they screw up and also handle unhappy customers when engineer recommendations backfire and cost customers actual money. Would I run 90 weight oil in my engine? Absolutely not and that response from you is just totally absurd. But don’t tell me that a lightweight almost water oil is better than a time proven oil such as 10W30 etc...

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
the lower weight is primarily driven by mpg standards trying to get every fraction of a mpg they can. Ive seen many times where two generations of vehicles with the exact same engine, the next generation one gets the 0W20 where the previous was 5W30. No other reason other than to game the fuel mileage tests. All manufacturers are going for this thin oil weight now. 4G rams were 5W-20, same engine

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Anyway we are getting off track of what the OP asked in his case I would say he could run 5W-30 safely however Mopar does not directly recommend it nor do they recommend directly against it oil is getting to be a very large gray area I’m surprised being 2019 that Mopar recommends conventional instead of synthetic mostly .

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
notice in the manual they say "recommended" not "required" two completely different things from a legality standpoint. Also it says "all operating temperatures". Not all of us operate in all temperatures. Just like how they say 89 octane is "recommended" but 87 is acceptable. Read elsewhere in the manual they can only say "recommended MOPAR parts" they cannot say required.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In your case, yes you should be fine with a unlimited mileage warranty. But not everybody has that nor will they. Some people choose not to buy warranties or better known as insurance plans, because that’s what they are. In your case I would run whatever the manufacturer recommends or approves of.
I’m just giving you a hard time ;)

But you can bet I’ll be following their requirements!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m just giving you a hard time ;)

But you can bet I’ll be following their requirements!
So your engine was one of the ones FCA built to run on 20w oil.Otherwise why would they sell you a lifetime warranty. The rest of us got the engines designed to break just after the warranty expires. That sucks.:)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like how passionate we all can get here on our views towards taking care of our trucks but at the end of the day we are still all friends that’s what makes this site great .
Yeah, try that on some other forums... id name them but it doesn't matter.

I’m probably the least of the enthusiasts here, I just try to take care of the truck like any other mechanical thing. My lawnmower gets the same treatment, wait, its under a tarp, the poor truck sits outside (wont fit in garage by 2 inches).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, try that on some other forums... id name them but it doesn't matter.

I’m probably the least of the enthusiasts here, I just try to take care of the truck like any other mechanical thing. My lawnmower gets the same treatment, wait, its under a tarp, the poor truck sits outside (wont fit in garage by 2 inches).
Sounds like a garage addition is in order (for mower and truck)!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sadly no way. The poor thing will just have to sit out there making the neighbors envious...

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As an engineer, tech's who think they know more than both the engineer and the owners of the product usually end up making recommendations that cost the engineers, owners and the company both time and money...

Where is the data to show that a 10w-whatever oil provides more protection than the specified oil weight used properly? Guess what? There isn't any. Say what you want about generic temperature charts, you're not getting anywhere near the full picture. What's being suggested is absurd. How can a heavier oil that supposedly protects more also not provide all of the other benefits of lower fuel economy, more power, or whatever else people want to say? The whole point is lubrication. Lubrication reduces friction, which reduces heat, which in turn reduces friction, etc, etc. I highly doubt any Ram will see prolonged ambient operating temperatures outside of the specified oil weights designated operating range. And regardless of oil type, vehicle USE is more of a concern than operating temps, as fuel and carbon deposits that gets into the oil from hard use is what determines the abbreviated "Severe Duty" oil change schedule anyway. Contamination is the reason for oil change intervals.

Your oil isn't meant to last the lifetime of the engine, however, your engine is meant to last a lifetime if used with proper oil and oil change intervals.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
All this techical oil stuff is beyond me. All I know is proper viscosity for the temp ranges experienced, keep it changed, don’t stretch intervals and when in doubt, foollow the maker’s recommendations.

I will add the caveat that the dealer’s service department is in the business of selling service so they, as well as Firestone, Goodyear etc type car care places will often paste the 3K reminder sticker up on the windshield, even if the recommended interval is say 5K+. They want to sell you an oil change plus other services... Whats the worst case, your engine has cleaner, fresher oil with the additive package specific for the type. Oh so sad.

DreamRider

Reaction score
I went to Mobil 1 website, entered 2019 ram 1500 v8 and first oil listed was 0w-20..... I ordered that and was going to change the oil myself but then hurt my back so took it to the dealer where they refused to put 0w oil in it. Just hard to believe Mobil 1 would the wrong information on their website!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread