5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Synthetic Oil - Why Not Use 0W-20?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd do it myself...but for $17, it makes more sense to me to let them do it and it's in the dealers system to track all of my services for warranty purposes.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct, (Fixed it above) they are both expensive at the dealer not just 5W. I can get my Synthetic for a better price than the Dealers oil and when I switched to Mobil 1 I noticed my MDS on more and a fuel economy increase. I also trust Mobil 1 more than their bulk oil. As pointed out above the Mobil 1 0W-20 meets the MS-6395 Chrysler Spec.
Incorrect. The Mobil 1 line does not meet Chrysler’s spec. The only Mobil oils that do (regardless of weight) are the older Mobil Super oils. Use Mobil’s “Which oil is right for my vehicle?” tool to review for yourself.

This was discussed in the early days of this forum, and it’s the main reason I switched from Mobil 1 EP to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on my new Ram (with a lifetime Mopar MaxCare warranty).

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if this is true any longer... looks like they have paid the money to Shell/Fiat and waited the mandatory 2 year period to receive the Certification. "Mobil 1 0W-20 meets: ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that flows quickly during cold starts, API SM/CF, Chrysler MS-6395, and Ford WSS-M2C930-A. Mobil 1 0W-20 rejoins the Mobil 1 product lineup to meet the needs of today's more fuel-efficient vehicles including hybrids. Mobil 1 0W-20 is a fully synthetic formula that helps reduce wear and extend engine life while delivering the best fuel economy within the Mobil 1 line."

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is true any longer... looks like they have paid the money to Shell/Fiat and waited the mandatory 2 year period to receive the Certification. "Mobil 1 0W-20 meets: ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that flows quickly during cold starts, API SM/CF, Chrysler MS-6395, and Ford WSS-M2C930-A. Mobil 1 0W-20 rejoins the Mobil 1 product lineup to meet the needs of today's more fuel-efficient vehicles including hybrids. Mobil 1 0W-20 is a fully synthetic formula that helps reduce wear and extend engine life while delivering the best fuel economy within the Mobil 1 line."
Can you provide the link to that on their website?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I found it on the back of the Quart and also on Walmart's website description.
Gotcha...thanks. I don't trust Walmart to get this right, and their advertising would hardly hold water in a legal justification to FCA. The label on the bottle of oil is more promising. But when Mobil explicitly advertises this on their website, I'll feel more comfortable with the idea. It says a lot that their own oil selection tool does NOT specify Mobil 1 as appropriate for the 2019 Ram 1500.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Just did my 1K Oil/Filter Dump with M1 Extended (which I've used in all my cars FOREVER). Now notice it doesn't meet the MS-6395.

My mechanic told me USE ONLY 5w-20 AS CALLED FOR - didn't bother explaining why. I pay his "helper" $10 to do an oil/filter and $20 if he does a rotation.

I'll run this until the next OC interval - then either go with M1 SUPER SYNTHETIC (which does have the ME-6395) or go with the Penzz Ultra (also meets) - both are around $21-$25 for a 5qt jug at Wally-World, and $8-10 for the extra 2 qts (or just buy the 5qt jugs and measure out the extra 2).

Surprised the Extended doesn't meet the spec - but for one oil change it can't hurt.

Even with Extended - I still do the change when the car tells me to.

And the M1-113 Filter. Also added a Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug (which every vehicle I own has for EVERY DRAIN PLUG - my slingshot has engine/trans/diff).

Regards,

Rick

doctorxring

Reaction score
From a Ford fleet newsletter—. sourced from BobIsTheOilGuy

Why 5W20 Oil?
Some customers are reluctant to follow Ford's recommendation to use 5W-20 oil in their engines based on the incorrect assumption that Ford and other Auto Manufacturers only recommend 5W-20 oil in order to increase fuel economy. Using 5W-20 oil can increase fuel economy by about 6/10ths of a percent compared to 5W-30 and more if you are currently using a higher viscosity oil. This equates to an additional savings of 125 million gallons per year when used in all applicable Ford vehicles. Since its introduction in the 2001 MY, 5W-20 oils have saved up to 640 million gallons of gasoline in the U.S. or an equivalent 5.6 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.

5W-20 oil is a thinner oil with lighter viscosity that creates less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain. Additionally, the oil pump can pump thinner oil more easily, improving oil circulation. Any increase in fuel economy may not be noticed by the average motorist. Machined internal engine parts are more precise than the parts of 20 years ago. This means that clearances between moving parts are smaller and more exact. Thinner oil such as 5W-20 can flow more freely through the engine while still filling the spaces. Thicker oil is harder to push through the spaces between the parts. This causes the oil pump to work harder, which in turn increases oil pressure while simultaneously decreasing oil volume. A lack of oil volume results in a decrease of lubrication and cooling, which may decrease engine part life.

The lighter viscosity of 5W-20 oil flows faster at start-up compared to higher viscosity oils, which helps reduce engine wear in critical areas by lubricating parts faster. Valvetrain components at the top of the engine require immediate lubrication at start-up.

Oil additives are not recommended as noted in the owners manual. The American Petroleum Institute (API) certifies that oils such as Motorcraft 5W-20 already contain the necessary additives for friction, detergent, etc... The addition of additives may interfere and react with the additives already present in the certified oil."

Orion10182011

Reaction score
0w20 is fine. But I personally would save that for cold weather and run 5w20 in warmer. Generally you want the narrowest weight range of oil for the conditions encountered. The reason, the greater the range say 0 weight to 30 weight requires more complex molecules that wind and unwind depending on temperature. The more complex the molecule the more susceptible to breaking down they are.

That's how multi weight oils work. The molecules coil up when cold and uncoil when hot.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
0w20 is fine. But I personally would save that for cold weather and run 5w20 in warmer. Generally you want the narrowest weight range of oil for the conditions encountered. The reason, the greater the range say 0 weight to 30 weight requires more complex molecules that wind and unwind depending on temperature. The more complex the molecule the more susceptible to breaking down they are.

That's how multi weight oils work. The molecules coil up when cold and uncoil when hot.
Then theres the “sheer effect” that I’ve read bout. Takes a chemist to understand oil these days...

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
0W-20 is an outstanding oil, I'm really surprised FCA hasn't made it the standard oil for the 5.7L like they have for a lot of their other engines. In order to pass the 0W-20 CCS test maximum viscosity of 6200cP at -35C and MRV test at -40C the oil has to be made with best base oil(s) available, and for the most part are full synthetic. 5W-20 has to pass the same CCS test at the slightly "warmer" temperatures of -30C and a maximum viscosity of 6600cP and the MRV test at -35C. 5W-20 can be formulated with lower quality base oils to meet the slightly less tough CCS and MRV tests, and because of that is available as conventional or synthetic blends in addition to full synthetics.

5W-20 will usually have a slightly lower viscosity index and Noack than 0W-20 in the same product line, but I can live with that knowing I'm using an oil made with the best base stock available. I would MUCH, MUCH prefer to use 0W-20 instead of 5W-20 in mine but I don't know how FCA would feel about it, even if it carries the MS-6395, in case of a warranty issue involving the engine.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made the switch last oil change to the PUP 0-20W and it seems to be quieter and smoother sounding at idle.
The weird part is that my mileage decreased from the Mobil 1 15.4 MPG to the PUP 14.2 MPG but that could be a coincidence of the switch from Winter to Summer fuel blends.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I made the switch last oil change to the PUP 0-20W and it seems to be quieter and smoother sounding at idle.
The weird part is that my mileage decreased from the Mobil 1 15.4 MPG to the PUP 14.2 MPG but that could be a coincidence of the switch from Winter to Summer fuel blends.
Anything's possible but I'd be surprised if a different brand oil would make a difference of over a mile per gallon, especially if the previous oil was a XW-20 since they all have a kinematic viscosity of around 8.5cSt at operating temperature. The 0W-20 PUP is a nice choice!

Rambeaux

Reaction score
I used amsoil 0w-20 oil & their filter in my '06 ram 5.7 and ran it 12 yrs like that. Even changed the oil the 1yr or 25k miles, whichever came first, never had any oil related mechanical issues. The last 2yrs I had it, it had a front timing cover leak that I just added oil to compensate for. Changed the spark plugs at 65k because most were getting oil fouled from leaking valve cover gaskets. I probably had changed the oil 3 or 4 times with amsoil at that point & I started around 22k. I didn't know what to expect tearing into it but even then, under the cover it was clean as a whistle, zero sludge, picture perfect. When my 3 free oil changes are up, I'm going back with amsoil. My old truck always had the hemi "tick" & honestly became noticeable when I installed a CAI.

FYI generally speaking, the 0w-20 & 5w-20 are the same oil. Aside from manufacturing specifics between brands & the standard one was made to meet vs another, there is no difference performance wise. The (#)w is just the rating at which it flows in cold weather, which for 0w is -65 °F if i remember right. The oil will still flow even at that temp. The lower that #, the better the performance in that area. That is it, a very undramatic difference. The arguments between using 0w & 5w are a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread