5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Tank Swap

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had thought strongly about adding the 33 as I only have the 23 now. But since my Ram sits 7 out of 7 days, really did not make sense. Not that anything I’ve done with this truck has ha ha ha.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of course I'm talking about the crew cabs. You can't even get the short box on the QC. Again, build out a Big Horn or Laramie yourself with the short box, which can only be in crew cab. You get the 23 gallon tank by default if you select the short bed, whether it's etorque or not.
Yep... you are right. But there has to be a reason my sticker clearly shows it being part of the eTorque option, and why most everyone is getting the 23 gallon tank with eTorque. Perhaps it was the only option at some point. Dunno... it is what it is.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had thought strongly about adding the 33 as I only have the 23 now. But since my Ram sits 7 out of 7 days, really did not make sense. Not that anything I’ve done with this truck has ha ha ha.
Sounds like you need to sell your RAM... but then you wouldn't have one, right? lol

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting thread for sure here (coming from the guy that did the 26 to 33gal swap myself lol).

Don’t know how dealer saying fuel pumps the same. Part number was clearly different. Oh well anyways since it didn’t affect me since 26gal has same pump anyways.

As far as no flash? Yes it works without it. But your distance to empty will always be wrong. Without changing fuel size to 33gal it will show wrong distance to empty (will be based on your previous tank size)

As far as no 3rd strap, uh not sure there. That’s a decent amount of weight hanging there (full tank) from the end of the tank to the middle strap (since third isn’t used). That’s probably 2-2.5ft of a plastic tank with no support I put the strap since I already had a bracket. So was a no brainer. Not calling anyone out here so don’t take it the wrong way.

What's the minimum cost to do this in the driveway?

PorBoy

Reaction score
I figure it doesn’t owe me anything and I’m not bothered by it taking up space. Just wished I had stayed with my first train of thought and picked up a Tradesman to mod. Being empty nesters soon means no one rides in it as we take the other vehicles. I’ll look into what the 2021 have to offer and see if it’s worth adding one of those to the driveway.

Dixit

Reaction score
Honestly folks, easiest way to know what you got is hookup an OBDII ELM327 based scanner, load AlfaOBD, and pull up configuration, you will see what it says for fuel tank size in liters. If you got a 26gal it will state 98 liters. If you have the 23gal it will state 87 liters. 33gal will show 125 liters (which is what I set it to once I swapped the tank to have Distance to Empty correct).

Even the free version of AlfaOBD should work to do this.

Here is a snapshot of whats youd see, its under Vehicle Config 3
Vehicle Config 3:
Police Lighting Feature: Not set
Power Lift Gate Present: Not set
Power Right Sliding Door Present: Not set
Power Left Sliding Door Present: Not set
RKE System Present: Set
Sunshade Present: Not set
T-Case Type: Not present
Fuel Capacity: 125 Liters
Wheel Base: Not defined
FOBIK Safe Enable: Set

Dixit

Reaction score
What's the minimum cost to do this in the driveway?

Id suggest browsing the original thread on this for parts and what it cost.

At high level if you going from 26 to 33 the cost is less since based on my research and another member Rammit, you dont need to buy a fuel pump. For me the cost wasnt too bad as I got the entire 33gal tank assembly off a wrecked IIHS crash testing truck for only $150. So that saved me a huge deal in random parts like canister, hosts, vapor tubes, tank straps. I just had to buy a few misc hoses that were not included in the junkyard buy which counted about $100 total. So for me, I got it done cheap technically, basically $250 in the driveway. Only took me about 1.5hrs to do the swap, got my original 26gal to as close to empty without it stalling out. Then just disconnected the hoses, puled the straps, i was under the truck laying on my back on the creeper and just let the tank rest on my chest, and then just slide it off me and pulled it out. Then just moved over the parts I needed to the 33gal and get that up (needed a helper as that wasnt happening by myself for only 5mins) and strapped. Then hooked up hoses, filled it with some fuel (like 3-4gals initially), cycled the push button a few times without starting it to get the fuel pump primed up and fuel pushed to engine since the entire line was basically empty, then started it and it fired instantly, no cranking for 5-10secs.

Dixit

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep... it will all depend on where you get the parts, new or used, and exactly what parts you'll need.

I'm lazy, so I am paying way too much.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep... you are right. But there has to be a reason my sticker clearly shows it being part of the eTorque option, and why most everyone is getting the 23 gallon tank with eTorque. Perhaps it was the only option at some point. Dunno... it is what it is.
Things definitely change over time. My window sticker doesn't list a fuel tank size. So I looked at the build sheet to verify my tank size. At the time of purchase I had incorrectly assumed it had a 26 gallon tank. Both of my previous Ram 1500's had 26 gallon tanks, and I had no indication this one was any different. It wasn't until I filled up the first time with about 30 miles in the DTE reading that had me wondering why it only took 19 gallons to fill. I've said it before and I'll say it again...why would they only put a 23 gallon tank on a full sized truck of any configuration?

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^^ Yes Yes and YES, it’s a full sized truck set up for hauling 5 full sized adults and their gear and yet this is what they give us to work with ?????

Scram1500

Reaction score
33 should be the standard! This is a numbers game that Ram is playing to increase payload ratings

Jako

Reaction score
It all makes me wonder. Gas weighs 6 lbs/gal. 26 vs 33 gal tank, 6X7=42. How much fuel is used to carry the 42 lbs. of fuel around?
Sounds like government intervention. AND how it can have an impact on filling up a gas tank on a TRUCK.
November 3, 2020 - Election Day

I don't have a problem with my 26 gallon tank. I have a 400+ mile range on the highway. My bladder usually gives out before the fuel. Fully comprehend those who tow, drive high mileage and "enjoy the hemi" and the desire for less frequent fuel ups (4 versus 5 fill ups). 23 gallon tank is hard for me to comprehend-wishful thinking on mpg????????????

I have my 2001 Dodge SLT that is a work truck, used locally and is not used throughout the year on a regular basis, sometimes heavy, sometimes not at all. If I filled the tank up it could sit for some time. A full tank is better for fuel life.

HemiCane

Reaction score
Interesting thread for sure here (coming from the guy that did the 26 to 33gal swap myself lol).

Don’t know how dealer saying fuel pumps the same. Part number was clearly different. Oh well anyways since it didn’t affect me since 26gal has same pump anyways.

As far as no flash? Yes it works without it. But your distance to empty will always be wrong. Without changing fuel size to 33gal it will show wrong distance to empty (will be based on your previous tank size)

As far as no 3rd strap, uh not sure there. That’s a decent amount of weight hanging there (full tank) from the end of the tank to the middle strap (since third isn’t used). That’s probably 2-2.5ft of a plastic tank with no support I put the strap since I already had a bracket. So was a no brainer. Not calling anyone out here so don’t take it the wrong way.

I texted the Lead Tech that did the work and he once again reassured me that a third strap is not needed. Also as for the DTE, my new numbers are significantly greater than what it was showing with the 23 gallon and he again said the flash is not needed. Right now everything is working fine and my range has definitely increased, expensive yes but so glad I did it. !

PorBoy

Reaction score
Well my 23 gallon is jealous of your 33 one, maybe they can have a play date one day and share ha ha ha..

Dixit

Reaction score
Well my 23 gallon is jealous of your 33 one, maybe they can have a play date one day and share ha ha ha..

My 26gal sitting in my garage can join the play date if you want

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wait until my parts come in... really looking forward to filling up when I get it. Gonna be soooo nice.

nburd

Reaction score
Is there anyway to tell by going under your truck and finding a part number to confirm gas tank size? Or maybe measure length of tank? I see different answers all the time and was trying to find a sure way to tell what size tank I have. I checked build sheet and it says 26 gallon tank but must posts say if you have etorque you get 23 gallon tank. I have a 2019 Limited. Thanks.
If your build sheet says 26, you have the 26. It was a no cost option. I guess weight means everything. Some e torques have it I guess.

hsandhu85

Reaction score
I can't wait until my parts come in... really looking forward to filling up when I get it. Gonna be soooo nice.
Let us know what the full range is when its filled up on the 33 gallon. I'm interested in upgrading my 23 as well.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let us know what the full range is when its filled up on the 33 gallon. I'm interested in upgrading my 23 as well.
Will do... still waiting on the tank to get here. My guess is it should be 600+ miles, as I average a little over 20 mpg on most tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread