5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Tank Swap

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
See the link below as it’s straight forward regarding the fuel tank size on Page 3. I also copy and pasted the relevant section here.

— 23-gallon (included with HFE models; standard with 3.6L Quad Cab; not available with 3.6L V6 Crew Cab; included with 5.7L V8 eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab short box on Tradesman, Big Horn, Rebel and Laramie) (NF5)

— Add 26-gallon (optional with H2, X2 and P2 Equipment Packages on 5.7L V8 eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab short box on Big Horn, Rebel and Laramie) (NG9)

— 33-gallon (included with 8-foot-box models; not available on Regular Cab short box models; optional with H1, H2, X1, X2, P1 and P2 Equipment Packages) (NFF)

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What was your final cost and how much payload did you lose?

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What was your final cost and how much payload did you lose?
I don't remember the total, although I think I posted it here somewhere.

I don't know how much the extra tank size weighs, but gas is 6.3 pounds per gallon... so 10 gallons extra is 63 pounds when it's full.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Longhorn 5.7 eTorque has a standard 26 Gallon tank. Did they change it back to 23 in 2020 maybe?
I have the 26 gal in a 2019 non-etorque but when I googled it I found info stating that fuel tank size was depedant on bed size. 5.7 bed gets 23 and 6.4 bed gets 26 but either can upgrade to 33. Interesting to hear others say it is based on engine. Either way very strange that any truck can go to the 33!

amcmac

Reaction score
I want to get this done at my dealer. I am afraid they will say we can’t do it or it’s impossible. Are there any instructions or parts list that I can give them that says yes you can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amcmac

Reaction score
I want to get this done at my dealer. I am afraid they will say we can’t do it or it’s impossible. Are there any instructions or parts list that I can give them that says yes you can?

Yep. They said they can’t do it. Does anyone have anything to show them how to do it?

HemiCane

Reaction score
Yep... same pump... and the tank ended up being a couple hundred less than originally quoted.
Sonnie, I forgot to ask you something the last time. Did they have to flash your software for the new tank capacity in order for the DTE to read correctly. ?

Romad122

Reaction score
Well it's done and I can honestly say I'm very happy. I was very fortunate that the tech that did the work is as OCD as me and very professional, it was done in one day with no issues. The pump for the 23 can be used on the 33 and no software flash is required. The total with parts and install came out to roughly $2200, it's a lot but I already had made my mind up that I was going to do it I could not see myself keeping this truck long term and towing with that ridiculous small tank. Attached are pics of the parts required, and a side by side of the tanks.
I bought a truck a month ago and didn't know about the 23 gallon tank either. I was so mad. Thing has really helped me....Thanks for the Post !

Tinshield

Reaction score
Glad I caught this before ordering. Was speaking to a sales guy and he said many people don’t care for the 33 because it cost so much to fill up. When I rolled my eyes he told me he was serious. People actually complain. 🤦‍♂️

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish I had the 33. Gas is gas. 70 bucks at once or 140 bucks at once. It’s still the same in the end!

Users who are viewing this thread