5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Tank Swap

HemiCane

Reaction score
Thank you for the information... that's great to know on the DTE part, and that no flash is needed. This is getting easier than I thought it would be.

I also verified with my local dealer that the pump in the 23 will work in the 33 and they did not order a pump... so that is going to get me down to under $1800 total. Their labor rate is less that what it is in Davies ... which being in the rural area we are, that is probably common. The bigger metro area dealers have a tendency to charge more. I'd pay it either way at this point.

Please do let us know on the strap. Thanks again!

Two straps were used.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well it's done and I can honestly say I'm very happy. I was very fortunate that the tech that did the work is as OCD as me and very professional, it was done in one day with no issues. The pump for the 23 can be used on the 33 and no software flash is required. The total with parts and install came out to roughly $2200, it's a lot but I already had made my mind up that I was going to do it I could not see myself keeping this truck long term and towing with that ridiculous small tank. Attached are pics of the parts required, and a side by side of the tanks.
This is excellent information. Very good news that the fuel pump can be reused too. I think it would be worth the cost of the parts, and if there is no flash needed I won't need to involve the service department. My only question at this point is how does the truck know you have a bigger tank and adjust the DTE calculation if there was no flash? Thank you for posting this!

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Wasn’t there some issue with some trucks not having the bracing for the third strap? Possibly that’s why they didn’t add it. I remember reading about some trucks not having it and people couldn’t find the part to add it with the bigger tank.

I guess they feel confident the third strap is not needed.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn’t there some issue with some trucks not having the bracing for the third strap? Possibly that’s why they didn’t add it. I remember reading about some trucks not having it and people couldn’t find the part to add it with the bigger tank.
Yes... some trucks have the brace and some do not. One member here had a brace fabricated and added a strap. Perhaps they did away with it on later models... but I have not researched it or asked the right people that would know.

The main question I have is will the two straps be enough, why the third strap to begin with? Is there any chance my tank is going to fall out without the third strap? 10 gallons of gas... probably around 80-90 pounds, then the extra tank size... another 10lbs... so potentially another 100lbs added to the two straps.

Thinking logically, it seems like it would be needed, but apparently these dealer service departments (and their technicians) are not concerned enough with it to recommend it. I am reluctant to suggest they don't care, because if the tank falls out on the ground and causes harm to the truck and/or someone at some point in time, an attorney would name the dealership in a lawsuit. I can't help but to believe the service department managers are smart enough to know this, so if the third strap was necessary, they should be recommending to the vehicle owner and warning us about the lack thereof. I'd love to know what the dealers that have replaced these tanks are are thinking, why no third strap... have they verified it is not necessary on models without the third brace for some reason?

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I would bet that tank swaps like this are so rare that they don’t even know it needs it.

Yes... some trucks have the brace and some do not. One member here had a brace fabricated and added a strap. Perhaps they did away with it on later models... but I have not researched it or asked the right people that would know.

The main question I have is will the two straps be enough, why the third strap to begin with? Is there any chance my tank is going to fall out without the third strap? 10 gallons of gas... probably around 80-90 pounds, then the extra tank size... another 10lbs... so potentially another 100lbs added to the two straps.

Thinking logically, it seems like it would be needed, but apparently these dealer service departments (and their technicians) are not concerned enough with it to recommend it. I am reluctant to suggest they don't care, because if the tank falls out on the ground and causes harm to the truck and/or someone at some point in time, an attorney would name the dealership in a lawsuit. I can't help but to believe the service department managers are smart enough to know this, so if the third strap was necessary, they should be recommending to the vehicle owner and warning us about the lack thereof. I'd love to know what the dealers that have replaced these tanks are are thinking, why no third strap... have they verified it is not necessary on models without the third brace for some reason?

Dixit

Reaction score
Interesting thread for sure here (coming from the guy that did the 26 to 33gal swap myself lol).

Don’t know how dealer saying fuel pumps the same. Part number was clearly different. Oh well anyways since it didn’t affect me since 26gal has same pump anyways.

As far as no flash? Yes it works without it. But your distance to empty will always be wrong. Without changing fuel size to 33gal it will show wrong distance to empty (will be based on your previous tank size)

As far as no 3rd strap, uh not sure there. That’s a decent amount of weight hanging there (full tank) from the end of the tank to the middle strap (since third isn’t used). That’s probably 2-2.5ft of a plastic tank with no support I put the strap since I already had a bracket. So was a no brainer. Not calling anyone out here so don’t take it the wrong way.

Trailbr8ker

Reaction score
Is there anyway to tell by going under your truck and finding a part number to confirm gas tank size? Or maybe measure length of tank? I see different answers all the time and was trying to find a sure way to tell what size tank I have. I checked build sheet and it says 26 gallon tank but must posts say if you have etorque you get 23 gallon tank. I have a 2019 Limited. Thanks.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should be able to tell when you fill up if you are close to empty.

I believe the 23 gallon tank will be listed as an option on the e-Torque.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should be able to tell when you fill up if you are close to empty.

I believe the 23 gallon tank will be listed as an option on the e-Torque.
From what I've researched on the ramtrucks.com site, the standard tank size seems to be determined by the bed size. If the truck has a short bed the standard tank is 23 gallons, with the option to upgrade to 26 or 33 gallons. If it's the long bed the standard tank size is 26 gallons, and you have an option to upgrade to 33 gallons. Engine selection, including etorque, doesn't seem to have any effect on fuel tank size.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dunno... can only tell ya what mine is, a crew cab with the optional eTorque and the 23 gallon tank ... and the tank is listed as part of the eTorque option.

1596810451371.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dunno... can only tell ya what mine is, a crew cab with the optional eTorque and the 23 gallon tank ... and the tank is listed as part of the eTorque option.

View attachment 64708
Sure, which is why most people think the etorque is what gives you the 23 gallon tank. I'm just saying that if you build a truck and select the hemi without etorque on the ramtrucks.com site (CC 5'7" bed), you'll see options for both the 23 and 33 gallon tank. And the description for the 26 gallon tank says "Replace 23 gallon".

2020 Ram 1500 fuel tank selection.JPG

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When dealers are building these out without the eTorque, and the 26 gallon is a $0 option, it is natural for them to select it, which is why 99% of the trucks without eTorque come with the 26 gallon tank. However, if they are building out the unit with eTorque, it's not an option. If you select eTorque as your engine, there is no 26-gallon option... only 33... thus 23 gallon is a standard part for the eTorque option, which is why most of the eTorques are only 23 gallon tanks.

1596814721089.png

Dixit

Reaction score
When dealers are building these out without the eTorque, and the 26 gallon is a $0 option, it is natural for them to select it, which is why 99% of the trucks without eTorque come with the 26 gallon tank. However, if they are building out the unit with eTorque, it's not an option. If you select eTorque as your engine, there is no 26-gallon option... only 33... thus 23 gallon is a standard part for the eTorque option, which is why most of the eTorques are only 23 gallon tanks.

View attachment 64711

Yea but not sure when this changed, mine is a 2019 Limited eTorque and my sticker price didnt show anything about what gallons it had, but I know its a 26gal looking at the build sheet.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... dunno... that is odd for sure. If you build a 2019 Limited right now, the 26 is not an option for the eTorque. It could be that the dealer is able to order it with the 26 on their end. I know back when I was ordering Ford F150's... the dealer had some options not available on the Ford website build and price section.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea but not sure when this changed, mine is a 2019 Limited eTorque and my sticker price didnt show anything about what gallons it had, but I know its a 26gal looking at the build sheet.
My 2019 limited has the 26 gallon. If I remember right the 26 gallon tank was standard on the longhorn and limited etorque trucks in 19 and the 23 gallon was standard on etorque trucks that were Laramie and below.
I’m not sure about the 20’s because I haven’t needed to research.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

View attachment 64711
Sorry, but that blanket statement is not true. You selected the long box or a Limited build. If you select the short box you get this (Laramie build)...

2020 Ram 1500 fuel tank selection 5.7 bed.JPG

Last edited:

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure it's true for what I was building out, which is the crew cab. I'm referring to the crew cab... have been the entire time... as I mentioned "my truck" and "these", both referring to the crew cab.

If you look back at what most of these guys have that are claiming 23 gallon on the eTorque, it's crew cabs.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Of course I'm talking about the crew cabs. You can't even get the short box on the QC. Again, build out a Big Horn or Laramie yourself with the short box, which can only be in crew cab. You get the 23 gallon tank by default if you select the short bed, whether it's etorque or not.

Users who are viewing this thread