5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Tank Swap

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let us know the cost of the upgrade when you have it. The last thread showed $2138 at the dealer. Wow!
I am interested to know as well. But if it’s over $2k I will pass

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe I would spend $2100 if all I had to do was drop it off at the dealer and have them handle it all and give it back ready to rock with 33 gallons. That's at least another 4 days of commute for me before filling up again.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be willing to pay up to $1000 for the swap, but $2100 is a little too much for me. I'll just keep hitting the gas stations more often. I really like this truck, but the 23 gallon tank is killing some of the enjoyment.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will post the final price and how everything went as soon as its done.
If possible... my local dealer asked to see the complete receipt that the dealer give you showing all the parts they used, and the labor charges. He says they've looked at the possibility of doing it, but can't seem to put it all together as to what would be needed. So... if you can share that... either publicly or privately, I can give you my email in a PM. I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I showed my dealer the two lists that are shown here in one of the tank threads.... one from the dealer and the other from a member who did his own. They quoted me right around $2200, so I told them to get the parts ordered. The tank is supposedly on backorder, so not sure when they will get it, but hopefully it won't be too terribly long.

hsandhu85

Reaction score
So I showed my dealer the two lists that are shown here in one of the tank threads.... one from the dealer and the other from a member who did his own. They quoted me right around $2200, so I told them to get the parts ordered. The tank is supposedly on backorder, so not sure when they will get it, but hopefully it won't be too terribly long.

I'm getting fed up going to the gas station more often. I thought mine came with the 26 gallon but turns out its 23. Is the $2200 with the installation? I'm willing to pay for a 33 gallon tank.

HemiCane

Reaction score

Well it's done and I can honestly say I'm very happy. I was very fortunate that the tech that did the work is as OCD as me and very professional, it was done in one day with no issues. The pump for the 23 can be used on the 33 and no software flash is required. The total with parts and install came out to roughly $2200, it's a lot but I already had made my mind up that I was going to do it I could not see myself keeping this truck long term and towing with that ridiculous small tank. Attached are pics of the parts required, and a side by side of the tanks.

Attachments

• Resized_20200805_142040.jpeg
    Resized_20200805_142040.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20200805_211151.jpg
    20200805_211151.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 20200805_211213.jpg
    20200805_211213.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 119

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it's done and I can honestly say I'm very happy. I was very fortunate that the tech that did the work is as OCD as me and very professional, it was done in one day with no issues. The pump for the 23 can be used on the 33 and no software flash is required. The total with parts and install came out to roughly $2200, it's a lot but I already had made my mind up that I was going to do it I could not see myself keeping this truck long term and towing with that ridiculous small tank. Attached are pics of the parts required, and a side by side of the tanks.
Wow $1100 for labor, that’s ridiculous

HemiCane

Reaction score
Wow $1100 for labor, that’s ridiculous

Yes I agree its high, but towing a boat and looking at the fuel gauge the whole trip for the next 10-12 years of ownership was also ridiculous. I took the hit for not paying attention during the purchase.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get that. I am looking at travel trailers and only have the 26 gallon tank. But I also Didn’t plan on wanting a travel trailer when I bought the truck :ROFLMAO:

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting fed up going to the gas station more often. I thought mine came with the 26 gallon but turns out its 23. Is the $2200 with the installation? I'm willing to pay for a 33 gallon tank.
Yes... that is total... it was $2100 and some change... I just rounded it up. However... if the pump can be reused, that will save the pump purchase. I was under the impression from everyone else that the pump was different.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So have you filled up and it shows the correct (or significantly higher) miles to empty?

Curious as to why others stated the fuel pump is different, but you say it's working fine with the fuel pump out of the 23 gallon tank. Very curious, but if it's working, it's working... lol.

Oh... and what about the third strap... did they just use two, or add a third one?

HemiCane

Reaction score
So have you filled up and it shows the correct (or significantly higher) miles to empty?

Curious as to why others stated the fuel pump is different, but you say it's working fine with the fuel pump out of the 23 gallon tank. Very curious, but if it's working, it's working... lol.

Oh... and what about the third strap... did they just use two, or add a third one?

He assured me the same pump would work, yes I did a complete fill up as it only had about three gallons in it from the old tank and the indication worked fine along with new extended DTE. As for the strap I will need to ask him about that.

nburd

Reaction score
Pretty cool and thanks for sharing. I would tackle this myself in a few years or possibly look at a used tank if I need to tow for long distances. Currently, I have a short commute and do not tow any more than locally so the tank size does not bother me. Currently on a 45-55 MPH back roads journey I am averaging 21.5 and at 72-75 on the highway with cruise 19.9. So my range is almost what I got with my 15.5 MPG burb and 32 Gallon tank. There are aftermarket companies for the diesels at $1049 (40+ gallon tanks) for the parts so good to know the Ram parts pricing is about right. Again, great information for the forum.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He assured me the same pump would work, yes I did a complete fill up as it only had about three gallons in it from the old tank and the indication worked fine along with new extended DTE. As for the strap I will need to ask him about that.
Thank you for the information... that's great to know on the DTE part, and that no flash is needed. This is getting easier than I thought it would be.

I also verified with my local dealer that the pump in the 23 will work in the 33 and they did not order a pump... so that is going to get me down to under $1800 total. Their labor rate is less that what it is in Davies ... which being in the rural area we are, that is probably common. The bigger metro area dealers have a tendency to charge more. I'd pay it either way at this point.

Please do let us know on the strap. Thanks again!

Wsmith

Reaction score
I hunted for a 33 when I bought mine. I seen that they go from the standard 26 gallon to a 23 gallon on the e-torque engines. I cant imagine why any full sized vehicle would come with that small of tank. The 33 should be standard with a 36 or 38 option.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted for a 33 when I bought mine. I seen that they go from the standard 26 gallon to a 23 gallon on the e-torque engines. I cant imagine why any full sized vehicle would come with that small of tank. The 33 should be standard with a 36 or 38 option.
Totally agree. When I was looking I had ZERO idea that there was anything less than a 26 gallon. I knew I wasn't getting the 33, but felt like I could live with the 26. Then when I learned I only had 23, I cringed and started pouting. That really made me want the 33. I know it's an expensive swap, but I will feel a lot better after it's done.

Users who are viewing this thread