5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Tank Swap

HemiCane

Reaction score
Hello, my 2020 Laramie has the standard fuel tank and I'm a little disappointed in the range its giving me. My questions is has anyone done the swap to the larger 33 gallon tank, if yes how much will it run and will the computer get flashed for the new capacity.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check this thread for all the info you want, yes it can be done but more expensive to go from 23 to 33. Cheaper if you already have the 26 gal tank as the pump is the same as the 26 and 33.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HemiCane

Reaction score

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Depends on what motor you have, standard hemi would give you the 26 unless it’s optioned for the 33. The etorque hemi drops down to the 23 unless optioned to the 33 for some stupid reason.

Skater

Reaction score
Depends on what motor you have, standard hemi would give you the 26 unless it’s optioned for the 33. The etorque hemi drops down to the 23 unless optioned to the 33 for some stupid reason.

". . . some stupid reason" is about as accurate a statement as has ever been spoken." I understand the smaller tank to allow for the battery pack for the 48v system, but then to allow the 33 gal. tank to go in its place, but only have a standard 26 gal. on the non 48v system just does not make sense to me.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
That’s the kicker, the battery pack is in the cab! It’s on the back wall behind the seat back. There is no physical reason to have done this.

". . . some stupid reason" is about as accurate a statement as has ever been spoken." I understand the smaller tank to allow for the battery pack for the 48v system, but then to allow the 33 gal. tank to go in its place, but only have a standard 26 gal. on the non 48v system just does not make sense to me.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not having the 33 gallon tank as standard is ridiculous, the optional tank should be bigger, like 45 gallons. There's plenty of room under there. I'm sure it's directly connected to payload ratings, which seem low but these are only half tons technically.

Skater

Reaction score
Not having the 33 gallon tank as standard is ridiculous, the optional tank should be bigger, like 45 gallons. There's plenty of room under there. I'm sure it's directly connected to payload ratings, which seem low but these are only half tons technically.
100% agree.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. A 33 gallon tank is adequate for a half-ton truck. A 23 gallon tank is more like a joke. It would make at least a little bit of sense if the etorque system actually provided better fuel economy. Put in a smaller fuel tank to offset the additional weight the etorque system adds to the truck. And the added fuel economy should help make up for the smaller tank. But unless you're only doing city driving, the etorque does nothing for you as far as fuel economy is concerned. I bought my truck assuming it had a 26 gallon tank since there was nothing indicating the dealer had ordered it with the 33 gallon tank. It wasn't until the first fill-up that got me wondering. I had run the DTE down to less than 30 miles, but when I filled up I was only able to fit a little more than 19 gallons in. Checked my build sheet and sure enough, 23 gallon tank. It's not a huge issue since I rarely tow. But it definitely causes me to have to stop for gas more often than I had to with my previous truck. I wanted to keep this truck for a long time, but now I'm rethinking that. Swapping the 23 gallon for a 33 gallon will cost thousands.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm right there with you... the 23 gallon tank seriously caught me by surprise as well. I was just assuming it was a 26 gallon until I filled up and realized something was up. I know 3 gallons isn't a lot, but the 26 is already small enough on a truck. I'm use to the larger tanks and now wish I'd not gotten the totally useless and aggravating e-Torque and looked for one with the 33 gallon tank. While I love the truck overall, I have a touch of buyer's remorse.

HemiCane

Reaction score
I'm right there with you... the 23 gallon tank seriously caught me by surprise as well. I was just assuming it was a 26 gallon until I filled up and realized something was up. I know 3 gallons isn't a lot, but the 26 is already small enough on a truck. I'm use to the larger tanks and now wish I'd not gotten the totally useless and aggravating e-Torque and looked for one with the 33 gallon tank. While I love the truck overall, I have a touch of buyer's remorse.

Well after much debating i have decided to bend over and do the change from the 23 gallon to a 33 tank. I kept my 09 for almost 12 years and at my age this is probably going to with me for a while so I went for it, there is nothing worse than towing and constantly looking at the fuel gauge. Truck was dropped off today at the dealer so I will let you know how it goes.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Nice, if mine ever left the driveway this would definitely be something that I would benefit from...

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well after much debating i have decided to bend over and do the change from the 23 gallon to a 33 tank. I kept my 09 for almost 12 years and at my age this is probably going to with me for a while so I went for it, there is nothing worse than towing and constantly looking at the fuel gauge. Truck was dropped off today at the dealer so I will let you know how it goes.
Yes... very interested in how it goes. I hate having to stop every 4-5 days to gas up.

rotts4u

Reaction score

My 2019 Longhorn 5.7 eTorque has a standard 26 Gallon tank. Did they change it back to 23 in 2020 maybe?

nburd

Reaction score
Let us know the cost of the upgrade when you have it. The last thread showed $2138 at the dealer. Wow!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread