5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Tank Size

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the Crew Cab, 5'7" bed - standard tank the 23 or 26 gallon? Laramie trim...hard to figure out based on the features guide and build/price..makes me believe it's a 23 gallon?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
On the Crew Cab, 5'7" bed - standard tank the 23 or 26 gallon? Laramie trim...hard to figure out based on the features guide and build/price..makes me believe it's a 23 gallon?
Standard tank should be the smaller one with the 27 gallon optional. If it has the larger tank it will be listed on the window sticker.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. 23 gallons in a full size truck is a joke, IMHO.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
I was afraid of that. 23 gallons in a full size truck is a joke, IMHO.
My bad, I was writing an article at the same time and my attention was divided. 26 gallon tank is standard in the configuration while the 33 gallon is optional.

The 23 Gallon is standard on HFE, V6 quad cabs and Hemi eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab Short beds on Tradesman, Big Horn, Rebel, and Laramie models.

The 33 Gallon is optional across the board with the exception of HFE and upcoming Reg cab short box trucks.

unxpctd

Reaction score
My 2017 Rebel has the 32 gallon optional larger tank.

One problem though...and its more for anyone with a bit of OCD...they haven't reprogrammed the software to read the 32 gallon tank.

I have a 32 gallon tank...yet my gauge reads and goes down as if I have the 26 gallon tank. I get to empty, laying on E...and I still have 6-7 gallons in it.

While its not that bad...and I know about it...and can still go an extra 75+ miles before actual empty...still a bit frustrating.

Hopefully they get this fixed in the 2019 models. It has been reported that they have been working on it since 2015 or so.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
unxpctd said:

One problem though...and its more for anyone with a bit of OCD...they haven't reprogrammed the software to read the 32 gallon tank.

I have a 32 gallon tank...yet my gauge reads and goes down as if I have the 26 gallon tank. I get to empty, laying on E...and I still have 6-7 gallons in it.

While its not that bad...and I know about it...and can still go an extra 75+ miles before actual empty...still a bit frustrating.

Hopefully they get this fixed in the 2019 models. It has been reported that they have been working on it since 2015 or so.
That's crazy. With Ford and the help of "Forscan" (Free software) - you can get in there and change out the values so it'll read correct. Quite a few guys who've bought trucks with the 23 gallon tank have swapped out to the 36 gallon themselves and reprogrammed their trucks. It shouldn't be that hard for RAM to get programmed.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think mines pretty accurate. I too have the big tank(121 litres) and when its down to about half I can get 60 litres in it.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
unxpctd said:

I have the same issue with mine, it drives me nuts. First I heard they were supposed to have a fix in Q1 2017, then it was Q1 2018, I still don't believe the fix is out.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
I have the same issue with mine, it drives me nuts. First I heard they were supposed to have a fix in Q1 2017, then it was Q1 2018, I still don't believe the fix is out.
So guess "size DOES matter . . . even to us guys !?
1f606.png

1f914.png

What can I say, its "funny Friday" . . . ugh, & it's the 13th . . . every body duck & cover !

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
So guess "size DOES matter . . . even to us guys !?
1f606.png

1f914.png

What can I say, its "funny Friday" . . . ugh, & it's the 13th . . . every body duck & cover !
Just sucks to pay an extra $500 for an option that you can't really use unless you feel like guessing whether you actually have fuel left or not.

unxpctd

Reaction score
I really wanted the 32 gallon tank...and I had read about the problem. I take (2) 4500 mile round trips per year and wanted the extra 6 gallons as a buffer for when I'm out west and time between stations is less than being in more populated areas.

Most I've ever gotten into the 32 gallon tank was something like 29 gallons..and she was laying on E at the time (and had been for almost an hour)
263a.png

Its worth it if you travel long distances alot...but otherwise the 26 should be fine.

When I'm not traveling I only fill up every 3-4 weeks...so thats nice too.

BBLV

Reaction score
Hopefully there's no half-baked BS like that in the 2019. That would be unfortunate with how much they got right on this redesign.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
Just sucks to pay an extra $500 for an option that you can't really use unless you feel like guessing whether you actually have fuel left or not.
Oh yea I hear you . . . it could be a very real issue at a very bad time to with some potentially unfortunate results !

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
That's crazy. With Ford and the help of "Forscan" (Free software) - you can get in there and change out the values so it'll read correct. Quite a few guys who've bought trucks with the 23 gallon tank have swapped out to the 36 gallon themselves and reprogrammed their trucks. It shouldn't be that hard for RAM to get programmed.
I wish we had something like Forscan for FCA vehicles, it's really impressive what can be done with it.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
Oh yea I hear you . . . it could be a very real issue at a very bad time to with some potentially unfortunate results !
so has anybody contacted RAM to see if this has been fixed? It was an option I was thinking of getting but not if it doesn’t work.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
SoCal Truck said:
so has anybody contacted RAM to see if this has been fixed? It was an option I was thinking of getting but not if it doesn’t work.
As far as I know it hasn't been fixed with the 4th Gen trucks. I would imagine it's not an issue with the 5th Gens especially with them offering 3 fuel tank sizes now but I can't say for sure.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SoCal Truck said:
FWIW I went ahead and added this option to my build - even with this being an issue in the 4th gen. It's 2019, this is something so simple I'd expect they get it right.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
As far as I know it hasn't been fixed with the 4th Gen trucks. I would imagine it's not an issue with the 5th Gens especially with them offering 3 fuel tank sizes now but I can't say for sure.
I do hope they fix that. That is one of those things that annoy me to no end - not just because of the inaccuracy of the fuel gauge, but that it is one of those things that just should not be an issue. Range is important to me because long road trips are somewhat frequent (when we're not saving up for insanely priced trucks, that is), which is the only reason MPGs are even on my radar. Because I'm a power hog, I need a huge tank to get me through the week with my 30+ mile one way commute (modern vehicle with the right sized tank will get me through two weeks). Though I will say, I had a truck decades ago with dual fuel tanks, which I liked. I don't know whether I'd prefer one big tank or two smaller ones. I kinda liked having two. You could run one bone dry then fill up whenever you got around to it. It fits my odd psychology.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It drives me nuts too, I've driven my truck right down to when the range has said low fuel and the needle is buried on empty and then fill it up and find it still technically had a quarter of a tank left.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
It drives me nuts too, I've driven my truck right down to when the range has said low fuel and the needle is buried on empty and then fill it up and find it still technically had a quarter of a tank left.
I see you have added that "color" - Blue streak Pearl, eh !
263a.png

Users who are viewing this thread