5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Window Tint % Preference

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Windshield and side window tint restrictions/laws are there for good reason. I don't get why everyone thinks its so cool to try to get away with breaking the law and being unsafe and inconsiderate to others on the road.
I personally don’t think it makes me any or anyone else less safe but it definitely makes me cooler!

kipeharris

Reaction score
I did 30% on the front, 20% reflective on the sunroof, 5% on the remaining windows and will be doing the windshield soon... WARNING You can not see anything besides headlights at night out of the 5%, I am regretting going that dark... It sure does look sharp thou. Now a leveling kit, and a bed cover ( ANy recommendations on a reasonably priced bedcover for RAMBOX would be appreciated!!), that should hold me over until I need some tires... Truck.jpeg

Threespace

Reaction score
Windshield and side window tint restrictions/laws are there for good reason. I don't get why everyone thinks its so cool to try to get away with breaking the law and being unsafe and inconsiderate to others on the road.
Guess it depends on where you live and if it's something you like aesthetically. I have a family and do not feel I'm putting them or anyone else in danger when driving, otherwise it wouldn't be done. By your logic, there are far worse things on the road than someone with tinted windows. I'm assuming in your trade/job, you keep up to every safety standard too, perhaps use a saw or mowed the lawn without eye protection (you risky devil you). Until there is a week I don't almost die due to an elderly person, I'll keep my windows tinted to avoid the public seeing my crazy face at the sight of the madness of people not understand basic traffic lights.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I chickened out and got my windshield tinted at 80% with the 5% brow and 5% all around instead.

Attachments

• 656E70C2-709C-4FD7-AFA5-F13016D37C8E.jpeg
    656E70C2-709C-4FD7-AFA5-F13016D37C8E.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 63A7C6D0-021C-4202-A3F0-BC30A2408DF8.jpeg
    63A7C6D0-021C-4202-A3F0-BC30A2408DF8.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 173

Toby J

Reaction score
I did 15% all the way around and 40% on the windshield. Ceramic this time and so far loving it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess it depends on where you live and if it's something you like aesthetically. I have a family and do not feel I'm putting them or anyone else in danger when driving, otherwise it wouldn't be done. By your logic, there are far worse things on the road than someone with tinted windows. I'm assuming in your trade/job, you keep up to every safety standard too, perhaps use a saw or mowed the lawn without eye protection (you risky devil you). Until there is a week I don't almost die due to an elderly person, I'll keep my windows tinted to avoid the public seeing my crazy face at the sight of the madness of people not understand basic traffic lights.
One comment:
If you don't understand the importance of pedestrians, cyclists, and other drivers being able to make eye contact with you when they are about to cross your path, then you don't understand a very fundamental thing about driving safety, not to mention courtesy.

Threespace

Reaction score
One comment:
If you don't understand the importance of pedestrians, cyclists, and other drivers being able to make eye contact with you when they are about to cross your path, then you don't understand a very fundamental thing about driving safety, not to mention courtesy.

So then sunglasses should be illegal? Now everyone with glasses don't understand fundamentals, let alone throw in the other percentage with cell phones. Even on a sunny day assuming the driver doesn't have glasses on, the pedestrian will be hard pressed to see in such detail. I rely on more hand gestures than anything, and that's coming from working on a university campus and living in a downtown city. Seems silly to click on a topic where people are talking about tint and throw in about laws as opposed to not viewing the thread if you're so against it. Courtesy is about using blinkers and moving slightly over for cyclists, I don't need to report other drivers eye color upon arriving to work/home.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I did 35% on the front windows and 20% around the back. I wish I would have went a little darker around the back, but its ceramic so the heat blocking is still great.

Attachments

• 20191011_134618.jpg
    20191011_134618.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 189

wangstarr03

Reaction score
I had my fronts done a little darker (~13% or so) than the factory rears to compensate for the light from the windshield. Have done this on my past 3-4 cars (all SUV's) and I think it matches as close as you could probably get save for getting actual tinted glass.

DC1EEB52-8792-4D14-AAFF-B72587A4E038.jpeg

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So then sunglasses should be illegal? Now everyone with glasses don't understand fundamentals, let alone throw in the other percentage with cell phones. Even on a sunny day assuming the driver doesn't have glasses on, the pedestrian will be hard pressed to see in such detail. I rely on more hand gestures than anything, and that's coming from working on a university campus and living in a downtown city. Seems silly to click on a topic where people are talking about tint and throw in about laws as opposed to not viewing the thread if you're so against it. Courtesy is about using blinkers and moving slightly over for cyclists, I don't need to report other drivers eye color upon arriving to work/home.
Now you're just being ridiculous. No one, except you, said anything about being able to distinguish eye color - that's preposterous and you know it. Even if the driver is wearing sunglasses, but the windows are clear so that you can see if they turned their head to look your way, and hopefully nod their head or wave their hand in addition, that's all you need in order to be fairly certain that they are aware of your presence, and to better understand the other driver's intent. When the windshield and/or front side windows are too dark, there is no way to tell anything, which makes it more difficult and less safe, compared to every vehicle respecting the law and not tinting those critical windows.
We have different opinions on respect for laws, common sense & common courtesy, and neither of us will change the other's mind, so consider this dropped.

U

User_18177

New tint - Llumar CTX 30 (front sides). Llumar AIR 80 (rear sides) and CTX 50 (back glass) both over factory tint. I took a couple of photos under different lighting so you can see how it appears indoors and outdoors.

47f6d31691473cc26641ecd21978308e.jpg
6678e0955a952fa1ad8a070e246304d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jb772

Reaction score
New tint - Llumar CTX 30 (front sides). Llumar AIR 80 (rear sides) and CTX 50 (back glass) both over factory tint. I took a couple of photos under different lighting so you can see how it appears indoors and outdoors.

47f6d31691473cc26641ecd21978308e.jpg
6678e0955a952fa1ad8a070e246304d8.jpg

Doesn't the "AIR" tint have a blue hue to it and the CTX have a little green hue to it? One of my friends had the AIR on his windshield and it drove me nuts lol!

U

User_18177

Doesn't the "AIR" tint have a blue hue to it and the CTX have a little green hue to it? One of my friends had the AIR on his windshield and it drove me nuts lol!

The AIR is supposed to be clear I thought but is really 80. They are both charcoal and I haven’t noticed any blue or green hue but I will report back if that changes.

U

User_18177

I have llumar air 80 on my windshield and that blueish hue to me is pretty unnoticeable

If any of those are blue or green it may not be noticeable to me because they are over the factory tint I suppose.

U

User_18177

So yesterday I did finally notice with my front window partially rolled down that it appeared to have a slight bluish hue. Nothing that bothers me but I can confirm it is slightly bluish.

Users who are viewing this thread