5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Window Tint % Preference

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I did 20% all around in ceramic and it’s still not dark enough in the back. I have a baby and she still gets blasted by sunlight. The truck stays cooler but I had to get window shades. 20% is chill during the day. You can see out perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c9c68fa05bf08a3b382666f41307837b.jpg

JRD

Reaction score
I did 20% all around in ceramic and it’s still not dark enough in the back. I have a baby and she still gets blasted by sunlight. The truck stays cooler but I had to get window shades. 20% is chill during the day. You can see out perfectly.

I’m a delinquent so I’m going to do 5% on top of factory and 35 on the full windshield. I just got used to it on my previous car and it’s like an oven in my truck with the tint that’s on it now.

U

User_18177

I’m a delinquent so I’m going to do 5% on top of factory and 35 on the full windshield. I just got used to it on my previous car and it’s like an oven in my truck with the tint that’s on it now.
What do you have on now? It looks pretty dark, but could be the color of the truck helping with that.

JRD

Reaction score
What do you have on now? It looks pretty dark, but could be the color of the truck helping with that.
Yeah it’s the lighting in the photo, I would say the front is somewhere around 50%. It’s lighter than the factory on the back windows

Brenden A

Reaction score
I paid $550 for the llumar ceramic all around plus the windshield. I would say if you are going to keep it for a long time then it would be worth it. But if you plan to upgrade in 2 years then reg is prob a bargain decision. I feel like it I can tell a significant difference with the heat blocking capabilities. Also, I was told by the tint installer that they will not tint the panoramic due to glass possibly breaking.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No tint, I want people to see my pretty face behind the wheel of my sweet truck :)

I'm thinking about going 35% on the fronts, still light enough that cops won't care and not too dark it will be an issue at night.
Thats what I did. 20% on back doors, 35% on front windows and clear ceramic on the windshield.

My son went 20% on all windows and clear ceramic on the windshield and now he says its too dark, having gone to 20%, which combined with the privacy tint from the factory, makes it like 10% on those windows.

I see trucks all around that look like they have even done the windshield at 20%. They will regret it at their or future state’s current annual inspection or at citation time.

My son moved from New Mexico where dark tint was fine to North Carolina where at the registration inspection he had to pay to get it all removed. Maybe some here won’t ever have this issue but some will.

JRD

Reaction score
Thats what I did. 20% on back doors, 35% on front windows and clear ceramic on the windshield.

My son went 20% on all windows and clear ceramic on the windshield and now he says its too dark, having gone to 20%, which combined with the privacy tint from the factory, makes it like 10% on those windows.

I see trucks all around that look like they have even done the windshield at 20%. They will regret it at their or future state’s current annual inspection or at citation time.

My son moved from New Mexico where dark tint was fine to North Carolina where at the registration inspection he had to pay to get it all removed. Maybe some here won’t ever have this issue but some will.
I had 35% on my Durango windshield and I’ll do the same on my new 1500 but here in SC there is no inspection fortunately.

I feel like I’m going blind with this factory tint, I’m used to darker windows. Hopefully I’ll be getting them done in the next few weeks

jb772

Reaction score
69784746_1333561666798964_417513105124229120_n.jpg

I did 5% all around and 25% on the windshield - I've been running this setup for the past 6 years and the sides are very easy to see through in the day time and night, the windshield only gets tough when its super dark out and raining. I'm in Florida and my AC still doesn't get super cold LOL!

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
69784746_1333561666798964_417513105124229120_n.jpg

I did 5% all around and 25% on the windshield - I've been running this setup for the past 6 years and the sides are very easy to see through in the day time and night, the windshield only gets tough when its super dark out and raining. I'm in Florida and my AC still doesn't get super cold LOL!
This is insane! Lol

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added 50 on top of the factory tint in the rear and went 35 on the front doors and 80 on the windshield. I have no problems seeing on the road at night, but driving around the neighborhood at night it can be a little difficult if it is a dimly lit area. Near impossible to see into the rear seat during daylight, but because the windows are so big it's amazing how much light there still is inside.
I honestly can say I will never go darker than 35 on the front, and not just from a legal standpoint either. I leave for work well before the sun comes up and need to be able to see out the side windows for people, kids and dogs.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Trade me your 22s and I can show you it's not so bad in person!
Ma
Man I don’t mind dark tint but it gets on my nerve sometimes. I’m going to do my windshield but 80% probably and 50% would be at most... Plus I’ll probably add a 5% brow on top of it still

john94si

Reaction score
I just did 5% on the fronts and 15% over the OEM tint and they now match.. also 45% windshield 2019-10-14 15.36.02.jpg is 45%

Last edited:

JRD

Reaction score
Agreed, I’ll be putting 30% on my windshield again and I don’t notice any difference at night. Even my wife who’s blind as a bat had no issues.

I considered going 20% on the windshield, do you think you could go a little darker? At 25% you’re slightly darker than me

PedalMonk

Reaction score
Anybody know if there is a default tint on the front windows? If so, what percentage?

jb772

Reaction score
Agreed, I’ll be putting 30% on my windshield again and I don’t notice any difference at night. Even my wife who’s blind as a bat had no issues.

I considered going 20% on the windshield, do you think you could go a little darker? At 25% you’re slightly darker than me

The tint shop I went to said the brand and model tint I went with (Suntek performance I believe?) runs slightly darker so 25% really measures out to almost 20% once applied or something like that - if I did it all over again I'd probably go with 30%-35% only because the one vehicle I had 35% on the windshield with was a happy medium to where I couldn't really tell the shield was tinted looking out and the outside provided a decent privacy depending on where the sunlight was. The 25% is awesome as far as privacy because nobody can see in, but like I said in the previous post, on rainy dark nights especially in areas you're not familiar with, it can be tricky; I'll try to get a inside/outside shot tomorrow. During the day it is awesome though and love every bit of it. The one thing I have to say that I love more than anything about this truck is the headlights, with all my other vehicles I've always had to put HID's or LED's in, with this limited the LED's are insane.

JRD

Reaction score
The tint shop I went to said the brand and model tint I went with (Suntek performance I believe?) runs slightly darker so 25% really measures out to almost 20% once applied or something like that - if I did it all over again I'd probably go with 30%-35% only because the one vehicle I had 35% on the windshield with was a happy medium to where I couldn't really tell the shield was tinted looking out and the outside provided a decent privacy depending on where the sunlight was. The 25% is awesome as far as privacy because nobody can see in, but like I said in the previous post, on rainy dark nights especially in areas you're not familiar with, it can be tricky; I'll try to get a inside/outside shot tomorrow. During the day it is awesome though and love every bit of it. The one thing I have to say that I love more than anything about this truck is the headlights, with all my other vehicles I've always had to put HID's or LED's in, with this limited the LED's are insane.
I didn’t think of that, I had the 30% on my Durango and put in HIDs. My Laramie has LEDs but I don’t drive at night all that often so not sure how bright they are.

Did you go with ceramic? I’m hoping to get my truck tinted in the next week or two, the last month of ownership has been brutal. The tint on them right now is so light it might as well not even be there

jb772

Reaction score
I didn’t think of that, I had the 30% on my Durango and put in HIDs. My Laramie has LEDs but I don’t drive at night all that often so not sure how bright they are.

Did you go with ceramic? I’m hoping to get my truck tinted in the next week or two, the last month of ownership has been brutal. The tint on them right now is so light it might as well not even be there

So I'm a very very particular person when it comes to my truck, if it's not done 110% to my standards I'll end up hating it and staring at the imperfections until I drive myself nuts. With that being said, when I originally purchased the truck, I had a different tint shop put ceramic 5% layered on top of ceramic 35% all the way around, with a 35% ceramic windshield - two days later I ended up having all the tint taken off because for some reason the hue of the tint was making everything look a greenish color and it drove me insane, so I had the shop remove all the tint (lost a lot of money on my a$$) and then brought it to a different shop to have them put just regular 5% and regular 25% on the front shield with a 7" 5% brow. I initially fell into the "get ceramic it will keep your truck so much cooler" pep talk, but with the two days I had the ceramic tint I honestly couldn't tell a difference between that and regular film, the only thing I noticed was that the ceramic tint seemed more "clear" if that makes any sense but also made my girlfriend complain saying the sun was going through the tint and was to bright LOL!

jb772

Reaction score

Also, make CERTAIN the shop is aware that there is a computer under the dash by the steering wheel, this has caused MAJOR issues for a few members - just beware; telling your tinters about this may cause them to not want to even attempt to tint the shield. It's like a game of russian roulette, the second time I had mine done when I was driving home I got an "open tailgate" error which is a common problem of the computer getting wet, and then when I went to reverse into my driveway, my screen went blue (also another common issue if the computer gets wet even the slightest bit). Luckily, I let the truck bake in the Florida sun for the rest of the day and I haven't had any issues since.

Users who are viewing this thread