5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Window Tint % Preference

JRD

Reaction score
Also, make CERTAIN the shop is aware that there is a computer under the dash by the steering wheel, this has caused MAJOR issues for a few members - just beware; telling your tinters about this may cause them to not want to even attempt to tint the shield. It's like a game of russian roulette, the second time I had mine done when I was driving home I got an "open tailgate" error which is a common problem of the computer getting wet, and then when I went to reverse into my driveway, my screen went blue (also another common issue if the computer gets wet even the slightest bit). Luckily, I let the truck bake in the Florida sun for the rest of the day and I haven't had any issues since.
I saw that on YouTube but wasn’t sure if the guy was just exaggerating. That’s a bit nerve wrecking.

We have similar weather here in SC and that’s why I wasn’t sure if ceramic was worth it. When it’s so damn hot most of the year I’m not sure that ceramic would make that much of a difference because you’re still baking when you get in the truck.

jb772

Reaction score
I saw that on YouTube but wasn’t sure if the guy was just exaggerating. That’s a bit nerve wrecking.

We have similar weather here in SC and that’s why I wasn’t sure if ceramic was worth it. When it’s so damn hot most of the year I’m not sure that ceramic would make that much of a difference because you’re still baking when you get in the truck.

The way that it was explained to me as was if you're going with lighter legal tints, ceramic may make a few degrees of a difference but if you're going with anything dark and illegal it won't make much of a difference because the film is so dark it wouldn't provide the "heat rejecting" qualities as it would if it was lighter.

pber1

Reaction score
I’ve always tinted my cars and gone super dark all around. I’m getting ready to tint the Laramie again and was wondering what’s y’alls preference on the front side windows. 50%, 35%, 20% or 5%?

I’m thinking I’m going to go 20% all the way around or 35% front two only. So let’s hear it everyone.

I live in Cali and front two windows is a no no and that’s mainly why I’m leaning towards 35% up front. Still dark but maybe not dark enough to get pulled over!?
Maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went 5% over stock in the rear, 75% on the windshield and 50% on the front doors. You can still kinda see people inside when I’m in full sun. It’s a good combo if you ask me and I’m also in Cali.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The vehicles with 5 and 10% front windows and I suppose a 25%-35% windshield might save some people in Cali, Oregon and Wa from "cellphone usage while driving" tickets. LEO's can't clearly see someone using them. I watch those You Tube videos every now and then about that issue.

A lot of states are slow to adopt that legislation the (hands-free requirement).
"Hand-held cellphone use ban: 20 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands prohibit all drivers from using hand-held cellphones while driving.", reference 2019 article at: http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/cellular-phone-use-and-texting-while-driving-laws.aspx.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
The vehicles with 5 and 10% front windows and I suppose a 25%-35% windshield might save some people in Cali, Oregon and Wa from "cellphone usage while driving" tickets. LEO's can't clearly see someone using them. I watch those You Tube videos every now and then about that issue.

A lot of states are slow to adopt that legislation the (hands-free requirement).
"Hand-held cellphone use ban: 20 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands prohibit all drivers from using hand-held cellphones while driving.", reference 2019 article at: http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/cellular-phone-use-and-texting-while-driving-laws.aspx.
I got pulled over for that in Georgia a month ago. Thankfully I was driving and not my wife since she still has a GA drivers license. He let me go with a warning since I had my Texas drivers license.

jb772

Reaction score
Sorry if this picture gets uploaded huge, this is my first time posting from my phone. This is a side by side shot of what it looked like around 720PM tonight outside with the side window down vs. 25% shield and low 5% brow. B1D8F60B-6C18-4867-B474-00987454D03A.jpeg

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Sorry if this picture gets uploaded huge, this is my first time posting from my phone. This is a side by side shot of what it looked like around 720PM tonight outside with the side window down vs. 25% shield and low 5% brow. View attachment 38123
With your side window up it is absolutely pitch black in there I imagine!

Threespace

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with shops tinting the windshield due to the BCM module location? I postponed it on my 2020 due to the shop calling about some cautions their computer system was throwing in regards to the windshield. I said I would do some research and bring it back in later depending on the results. Would like it done, but not at the price of the module. Though with all the Ram, Jeep, and Dodge owners that have it done, perhaps it's not as common as long as you don't drench the windshield during tinting?

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re using a quality tint shop you should have no worries, talk to the installer and he should already be aware of the potential problems if not I’d look elsewhere.

john94si

Reaction score
I just had mine done. I told him about it and he has a 2019 also and I had no issues.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I didn’t initially get my windshield tinted but will be soon and the installer I talked to is aware and has different equipment he uses to ensure he doesn’t have any issues

jb772

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with shops tinting the windshield due to the BCM module location? I postponed it on my 2020 due to the shop calling about some cautions their computer system was throwing in regards to the windshield. I said I would do some research and bring it back in later depending on the results. Would like it done, but not at the price of the module. Though with all the Ram, Jeep, and Dodge owners that have it done, perhaps it's not as common as long as you don't drench the windshield during tinting?

I had a SLIGHT issue on the day it was tinted, shortly after leaving the shop I got an alert saying "tailgate open" when it wasn't, and then backing up my driveway my 12" screen turned bright blue. I shut the truck off and left it in my driveway for the remainder of the day (or maybe weekend, can't remember) and since then I haven't had an issue. I'm assuming some water may have gotten back there which caused some things to act funny but maybe not soaked to the point of no return thank god.

Threespace

Reaction score
Nice, that gives me a bit more hope. Seems everyone at that shop passed on it after that was explained. Didn't want to deal with that headache on a 2 week old truck, however, after some research, it seems if they are informed, measures can be taken to avoid any issues.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I am going in tomorrow to get my windshield done at 50% and 5% brow on top and 5% all around again. This will be my trucks 3rd tint job!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Windshield and side window tint restrictions/laws are there for good reason. I don't get why everyone thinks its so cool to try to get away with breaking the law and being unsafe and inconsiderate to others on the road.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Windshield and side window tint restrictions/laws are there for good reason. I don't get why everyone thinks its so cool to try to get away with breaking the law and being unsafe and inconsiderate to others on the road.
I don’t know but by that logic why do auto manufacturers make cars that go over 65-70 mph? Here in SC there’s cars driving around with garbage bags duct taped on their windows and that seems acceptable so I’ll stay cool and run with my 20% 3M tint.

Users who are viewing this thread