5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Wheel Fell OFF!

Reaction score
Good news to report. The dealership in Huntington Beach CA inspected the truck and replaced the truck with a brand new truck with the identical equipment package.
Happy for my daughter to get a new truck and not a repaired truck.
Also thank you Mark from RamCares for offering to help any time if we needed it.
A good result!!! RAM stood behind their product!
IMG_20200625_214006.jpg

Skater

Reaction score
Good news to report. The dealership in Huntington Beach CA inspected the truck and replaced the truck with a brand new truck with the identical equipment package.
Also thank you Mark from RamCares for offering to help any time if we needed it.
View attachment 60205
Great news. Also glad to hear Ram did the right thing and replaced the truck. Congratulations.

Icecoldak

Reaction score
View attachment 60205

That is a FIRST---

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 60205
Wow that's amazing! They've actually replaced it with a new one! Good for you guys and great service on Ram's side!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Holeee chit.... that is pretty amazing. There must have been some other problems with the first truck, like major liability problems they want to sweep under the carpet

Dave07

Reaction score
Wow! Kudos to Ram for stepping up and doing the right thing! You don’t see that to much nowadays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is crazy and concerning. I have never seen or heard of an issue like this before. Glad she didn’t get hurt. Hopefully you can get someone in FCA to get on this quickly and make sure this doesn’t happen to anyone else.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well yeah, a wheel and tire literally coming disconnected from the truck while driving isn't exactly news that you want floating around. Kind of bad for P.R. I'm not surprised they'd immediately replace the truck under those circumstances. That's drastically different from the typical issues we have with trucks.

RamCares

Reaction score

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your outcome here, @Tom@seal beach! Especially happy to hear it. I am always more than willing to do what I can to provide support!

Mark
RamCares

ramhead

Reaction score
Good for you/her...glad it was worked out! One question though if you are willing to answer it as I'm curious - did they ask her to sign off that she wouldn't be suing or filing any other type of claim on the first truck? I can't see them not asking for that in trade for a new truck.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you/her...glad it was worked out! One question though if you are willing to answer it as I'm curious - did they ask her to sign off that she wouldn't be suing or filing any other type of claim on the first truck? I can't see them not asking for that in trade for a new truck.
It's pretty obvious that she isn't going to get anything if she sue after she got a new truck...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing...I asked the question was there any noise, clunking, anything. She said no. The just drove it back from Lake Havasu at 70-80 the whole way!
Damn...we were just getting ready to plan a trip back to lake Havasu too lol. But never heard of this happening, almost wonder if there was a serious pot hole she hit earlier that day or that week that could've led up to this....

Scram1500

Reaction score
Damn...we were just getting ready to plan a trip back to lake Havasu too lol. But never heard of this happening, almost wonder if there was a serious pot hole she hit earlier that day or that week that could've led up to this....
That's one magic pothole

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
She could hit a crater but no way it should cause your upper ball joint nut to fall off.....destroy the ball joint maybe but clearly the nut backed off the stud looking at the pics.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
She could hit a crater but no way it should cause your upper ball joint stud nut to fall off.....destroy the ball joint maybe but clearly the nut backed off the stud looking at the pics.
Agreed, scary stuff. But Ram had their backs....all that matters from this point on...good thing Ram won a safety award lol

Boston

Reaction score
View attachment 60205

Friggin awesome outcome. Congrats.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After seeing myself what spec those ball joint nuts are torqued to at the factory, it's a miracle that this doesn't happen more often.

When I put my leveling kit in, I put my suspension hardware back together tighter. The factory settings are scary. Even on solid axle Jeeps they only use something like 25-30 ft/lbs on the castle nuts. Crazy. On my 2020 Ram, I could have removed the ball joint nut with a 1/8" drive ratchet and my left hand. I couldn't believe it.
The service manual indicates an upper ball joint torque of 26 ft. lbs., plus another 180 degree turn. Likewise, 38 ft. lbs. plus another 195 degree turn for the lower ball joint.

From 2019 Ram DT Service Manual
02 - Front Suspension / Front, Independent Front Suspension / Technical Specifications
TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS

DESCRIPTION​
N·m​
Ft. Lbs.​
In. Lbs.​
COMMENT​
Half Shaft Nut​
250​
184​
—​
Hub And Bearing Bolts​
50 + 165°​