5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Wheel Fell OFF!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There ya' go. 26 freakin' ft/lbs. On a fastener that could save your life. It's bull ****.

I'm glad I decided to do the leveling kit. It gave me the opportunity to discover this issue and correct it. I don't like playing the "it should be ok" game on fasteners that literally hold my wheels to the truck.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, it's 26 ft-lbs + 180 degrees (1/2 a rotation). No idea what that equates to, but it's north of 26 ft-lbs. hence my comment on just give me the spec. number. Not sure why they do this. They do the same thing on head bolts of all things. Stupid. After doing 1, I saw it hit XX ft-lbs with my digital torque wrench, and just used that amount for the rest (in sequence).

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, it's 26 ft-lbs + 180 degrees (1/2 a rotation). No idea what that equates to, but it's north of 26 ft-lbs. hence my comment on just give me the spec. number. Not sure why they do this. They do the same thing on head bolts of all things. Stupid. After doing 1, I saw it hit XX ft-lbs with my digital torque wrench, and just used that amount for the rest (in sequence).

It almost sounds like they are trying to encrypt what the setting is so that it becomes a dealer only checked or set item. SMH :mad:

Reaction score
I seriously doubt that the torque spec is the problem in this case. It's more likely that the cotter pin was either forgotten or wasn't fastened correctly. No way that nut is backing off if it's installed correctly. Castle nuts are a proven safety fastener for this application. Unless of course they aren't using castle nuts anymore. I guess I should take a look.

No cotter pins....here's the ball joint after the failure! Must be a castlehead nut. My guess is the nut was not put on at the factory or the nut failed.
1500 suspension failure 3.JPG

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I installed my level top hat spacers, I torqued it all back to Dookie spec...Tight as fuk!! I may pay for that later if I ever have to get it off it's taper again, but with a proper tool (no, NOT a pickle fork), it shouldn't be an issue.

vdemarco

Reaction score
the extra 180 is because these are torque to yield. The torque is to make sure the bolt is tight enough, the the extra is to add enough stretch to the bolt.

The cam bolt on the 5.7 is the same, the cam bolt can't be reused and must be trashed. I hope the ball joint doesn't need to be trashed if you take it off though.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hence, the prevailing nut, gotcha. Reused mine when reinstalled, will have to keep an eye on it, and maybe add some wicking loctite for good measure.

Boston

Reaction score
Computer controls the torque at the factory.

Suggest you file a defect report with NHTSA.

Hope dealer doesn’t put up a fuss and claim she hit something to cause this.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There ya' go. 26 freakin' ft/lbs. On a fastener that could save your life. It's bull ****.

I'm glad I decided to do the leveling kit. It gave me the opportunity to discover this issue and correct it. I don't like playing the "it should be ok" game on fasteners that literally hold my wheels to the truck.
I think the engineers know what they are doing. This sounds like a complete fluke and most likely human error.

It's hard for that to happen at the factory though because the torque guns will stop the line if they don't reach their desired torque. I used to work at Brampton assembly plant building the charger/300/challenger.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I think the engineers know what they are doing. This sounds like a complete fluke and most likely human error.

It's hard for that to happen at the factory though because the torque guns will stop the line if they don't reach their desired torque. I used to work at Brampton assembly plant building the charger/300/challenger.
Agreed.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Well it's been a problem on the Jeep pickups too. Some guys found theirs to be finger tight and had it corrected under warranty. Regardless, ball joint nuts should be more secure than this. The OP's post is no surprise to me.

GraniteRam

Reaction score

But sometimes the guns can torque out but the fastener not be fully torqued. I work for one of the auto manufactures and see it from time to time. It's up to the inspection people to catch it then and if they don't, out the door it goes. Very rarely happens but it can.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it's been a problem on the Jeep pickups too. Some guys found theirs to be finger tight and had it corrected under warranty. Regardless, ball joint nuts should be more secure than this. The OP's post is no surprise to me.
But this is the first anybody has heard of this on this forum in over 2 years... Mistakes happen. The dealer should make it right and hopefully RAM does as well

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great another thing to add to my OCD list of things that will happen to my truck......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread